PDA

View Full Version : Baking Stone ??

ChristieinMB
06-12-2002, 11:07 AM
Saturday I put my Thermador baking stone in the bottom rack of my oven to preheat (per instructions). It kept smoking until the kitchen was unbearable. My question is, how can I remove the residue from past use that is smoking. I only rinse off with hot water and scrub with a brush after each use. Should I put it back in the oven and let it burn off, but this time not do it when I have company? :(
Please help me I need my pizza!!
Christie

Mandy
06-12-2002, 12:44 PM
I guess you should try and get as much of as possible with water and a brush, and then burn the rest off in the oven. Whatever you do don't use soap! That will really make it smell the next time you bake it!

Searcher
06-12-2002, 12:46 PM
Hi Christie,
I have lots of dark spots on mine that don't seem to smoke but whenever I spill something on it, I use a putty knife to scrape it off. They're not sharp but are very thin and work pretty well. One of those nylon scrubbers might help too.

valchemist
06-12-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Searcher
I use a putty knife to scrape it off

Lynn,

if you didn't have all that painting and remodeling to do, you would have probably never learned about that. so that's one good thing that came of all that work!

thanks for the tip.

Val

ChristieinMB
06-12-2002, 02:46 PM
Thanks for your help, I do scrape off any pizza, the surface is smooth, just black from use.
Mandy, luckily I read not to use soap, yuck I can just imagine the taste.
I think I'll try to bake it off. But I better wait for my DH to leave the house, he freaks. :D
Christie

SusanPC
06-12-2002, 02:51 PM
I have washed my stones with a mixture of baking soda, salt and water making a paste.

slawrence
06-12-2002, 09:23 PM
I used to sell Pampered Chef and we recommended using a paste of baking soda and water to "deep clean" the stones. Another idea, if there is a taste or soap residue (if someone tried to 'help' clean up ever) you can get a package of really cheap baking powder biscuits, spread them out on the stone and bake (push them in to the stone quite firmly). Throw out the biscuits when done. Sue