PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who attended 2001's Weekend with CL

Gail
06-12-2002, 11:36 AM
In my usual pokey style, I'm just now getting around to recreating our farewell dinner. Trouble is I am now so far removed from the original event, I can't remember the chicken too well (other than the fact that I liked it.) Maelynn's note says it skewered chicken brushed with the orange chipotle sauce from the June, 2001 issue, but I can't remember if it had the spice rub as well (my taste buds think the answer is no.) Anyone out there remember?

SusieO
06-12-2002, 12:37 PM
I didn't have the chicken because they kindly brought me salmon instead, but I'm pretty sure I remember someone saying they used the orange chipotle sauce. I don't remember anyone mentioning a rub. And I don't remember a spice rub on the salmon, which I believe was prepared the same way.

Hope that helps a little. I can't remember what I had for dinner last week, so I'm doing pretty good to remember a dinner from a year ago! :D

Tiger
06-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Gail- You've got to be kidding! I didn't even remember we had chicken! I do remember though I was so disappointed because the dinner made me sick! Of coarse now I know it had nothing to do with the dinner... I was pregnant! But I have to say since than I can't even look at couscous! It was the first time I ever had it. I came home from that trip and got some. I finally gave it to the poor. Everytime I looked at the box I gagged. Maybe it's time to try again!
Sorry the only thing I do remember was the dessert.......Yum!!

Natasha
06-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Uh, Gail...

I think I was too busy trying to dodge photographs to remember. :o

Seriously, I don't remember a rub. I don't really remember all that much about the chicken, though. In fact, I remember all the taste test dishes a lot better than the final dinner, even if it was just a bite of this and two bites of that.

Natasha

ElinorC
06-12-2002, 01:19 PM
Hi Gail,
I don't remember that the chicken was very spicy so I would guess that it didn't have the rub. Of course the wine was flowing rather freely so maybe that had something to do with it! :D I remember that I really liked the pavlovas with fruit (Sept. '01) and have it on my list of recipes to try. (My list is growing rapidly out of control.)

Hello everyone! Seems like an age since the weekend!

Gail
06-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Tiger
Gail- You've got to be kidding! I didn't even remember we had chicken! I do remember though I was so disappointed because the dinner made me sick! Of coarse now I know it had nothing to do with the dinner... I was pregnant! But I have to say since than I can't even look at couscous! It was the first time I ever had it. I came home from that trip and got some. I finally gave it to the poor. Everytime I looked at the box I gagged. Maybe it's time to try again!
Sorry the only thing I do remember was the dessert.......Yum!!

(Giggling) It's a curse, I know. But I remember meals I've had from YEARS ago... and all sorts of minute details.

On that same vein, since I also recall you expressing your fondness for desserts at the marketing session, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that it's the dessert you recall. ;) (It WAS tasty, wasn't it?

--

And Natasha, it wasn't so much that we were dodging photographs as the fact our brains had gone sluggish after all that food at Niki's West! I'm still stuffed just thinking about it.

Tiger
06-12-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by ElinorC
Of course the wine was flowing rather freely so maybe that had something to do with it!

Elinor- Don't remind me! My poor baby!

Gail- I forgot how I kept giving away my love for desserts. And I'm still doing it!

I don't think we could ever recreate that weekend again. Our expectations would be too high!!

Jewel
06-12-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Tiger
I don't think we could ever recreate that weekend again. Our expectations would be too high!!

Oh, but we're certainly going to try next weekend in Seattle... ;)

Natasha
06-12-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Gail

And Natasha, it wasn't so much that we were dodging photographs as the fact our brains had gone sluggish after all that food at Niki's West! I'm still stuffed just thinking about it.

Very true! I remember feeling a bit of panic at the fact that we were going to have to eat another large meal after Niki's West - and of course I couldn't be rude to Maelynn and our other hospitable hosts by not cleaning my plate! ;) I distinctly remember you saying that for someone who claimed to be full, I was doing pretty well at packing it away. :D

The pavlovas were very good, and I'd totally forgotten about them. Thanks, Elinor, for the reminder.

Happy 1 year Birmingham anniversary, everyone! [toasting with big glass of water]

Natasha

Gail
06-12-2002, 04:08 PM
Oh boy-- something ELSE to toast! (hic!)

Vanessa
06-12-2002, 09:52 PM
Gail:
I was not there but below some of the recipes Maelynn posted from the CL weekend hope this helps

Dinner was simply cooked and cubed chicken breasts with the Orange Chipotle BBQ Sauce from the June issue and skewered on kebobs

Curried Chicken With Plums and Ginger

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: Jul/Aug PAGE: 131

INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS:
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 skinned, boned chicken thighs, each cut into 3 pieces
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup (1-inch) sliced green onions (about 4)
6 red plums, quartered (about 1-1/2 pounds)
3/4 cup dry white wine, divided
2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger

INSTRUCTIONS:
If you don't have crystallized or candied ginger, you can substitute
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger and 1 teaspoon sugar. Serve with
couscous or saffron rice tossed with chopped fresh spinach.

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag, and add
chicken. Seal and shake to coat. Remove the chicken from bag, shaking
off excess flour. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add chicken, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly
browned. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Add onions to pan, and
saute for 2 minutes. Add onions to chicken, and keep warm. Add plums
and 1/4 cup wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook 4
minutes or until plums are browned. Add 1/2 cup wine and ginger to
pan; bring to a boil. Add the chicken mixture to pan, and bring to a
boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is done.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 4 chicken pieces and 6 plum
wedges).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 270 (25% from fat); FAT 7.5g (sat 1.7g, mono 2.5g, poly
2.1g); PROTEIN 29.7g; CARB 21.2g; FIBER 2.5g; CHOL 118mg; IRON 3.1mg;
SODIUM 278mg; CALC 53mg

Cavatappi With Spinach, Beans, and Asiago Cheese

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1996 ISSUE: October PAGE: 80

INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS:
8 cups coarsely chopped spinach leaves
4 cups hot cooked cavatappi (about 6 ounces uncooked spiral-shaped
pasta)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese
Fresh ground black pepper (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
The warm pasta slightly wilts the spinach and softens the cheese
during tossing.

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and toss well. Sprinkle
with fresh ground black pepper, if desired. Yield: 4 servings
(serving size: 2 cups).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 401 (27% from fat); FAT 12g (sat 3.4g, mono 6.2g, poly
1.2g); PROTEIN 18.8g; CARB 54.7g; FIBER 6.7g; CHOL 10mg; IRON 6.4mg;
SODIUM 464mg; CALC 306mg

From the dinner:

Appetizers: the veggie wraps were simply roasted
vegetables in flavored flour tortillas, and the crostini is the 'CHICKPEA DIP' from CL but substituting cannellini beans for the
chickpeas.

Chickpea Dip

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1997 ISSUE: Nov/Dec PAGE: 228

INGREDIENTS FOR 8 SERVINGS:
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained

INSTRUCTIONS:
California's innovative food combinations inspired this dip made with
such refreshing ingredients as yogurt and lemon juice. It can come in
handy for impromptu gatherings. Serve it with pita triangles.

1. Drop garlic through food chute with food processor on, and process
until minced. Add yogurt and remaining ingredients; process until
smooth. Serve at room temperature. Yield: 2 cups (serving size: 1/4
cup).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 80 (18% from fat); FAT 1.7g (sat 0.1g, mono 0.2g, poly
0.1g); PROTEIN 4g; CARB 12.6g; FIBER 0.4g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 0.3mg;
SODIUM 41mg; CALC 9mg

Vanessa
06-12-2002, 09:55 PM
Ops forgot there was couscus right?

North African Chicken and Couscous
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups water
1-1/2 cups uncooked couscous
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup thawed orange juice concentrate, undiluted
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups chopped ready-to-eat roasted skinned, boned chicken breasts (about 3 breasts)
2 cups chopped peeled cucumber
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Sliced green onions (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan, and gradually stir in couscous and raisins. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Combine orange juice and next 6 ingredients (orange juice through black pepper); stir well with a whisk.

Combine the couscous mixture, juice mixture, chicken, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, and toss well. Garnish with green onions, if desired.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
calories: 332 carbohydrates: 51.2 g cholesterol: 35 mg fat: 6.6 g sodium: 498 mg protein: 19.6 g calcium: 51 mg iron: 2.8 mg fiber: 3.3 g

Gail
06-13-2002, 12:24 PM
Thanks, guys, for the feedback. I didn't think they used the rub on the chicken, but I wasn't sure.

Anyway, last night I skewered some chicken breasts which we grilled and painted with the chipotle orange sauce and served with couscous for a nice summery meal. The couscous, by the way, was this one, which is sweet and fragrant and left my fingertips smelling wonderful all evening! Wish I had felt energetic enough to do the green onion pancakes, too... Ah well. Next time...

In case anyone's interested, here's the recipe for the orange-chipotle sauce:

Orange-Chipotle Sauce

Published: Cooking Light-05/05/02

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped tomato
2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
2 tablespoons chopped drained canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
2 cups fresh orange juice (about 4 oranges)
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Addonion; saute for 10 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently.Add tomato, garlic, and chile; cook 3 minutes. Add orange juice andvinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until reduced to 1-1/3cups (about 30 minutes). Stir in the ketchup, sugar, molasses, salt,and pepper; cook 5 minutes. Place mixture in a food processor;process until smooth. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.

YIELD: 2 cups(serving size: 1 tablespoon).

NUTRITIONAL INFO
CALORIES 36 (23% from fat); FAT 0.9g (sat 0.1g, mono 0.6g, poly0.1g); PROTEIN 0.4g; CARB 7.2g; FIBER 0.3g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 0.3mg;SODIUM 71mg; CALC 13mg

Here is the couscous we were served:

Moroccan Couscous

6 cloves
6 Allspice Berriees
12 peppercorns
1 Cinnamon Stick (smashed)
1/2 Nutmeg, grated
2 doz. Fennel Seeds
1 Tbls. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Ginger
1 C. golden raisins
1 box coucous
1-1/2 cups boiling water
2 oz. butter
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 large pimento, pureed (GAIL NOTE: I USED A RED PEPPER)
onion, celery, red pepper to taste

Combine first eight ingredients (cloves through ginger) in a coffee grinder and spin until finely ground and uniform in size.

Combine spice blend with water, butter, and salt in sauce pan and bring to a boil.

Add couscous and raisins. Stir, and cover, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.

Optional: saute onion, celery and red pepper until onion is clear and add to couscous. (GAIL NOTE: I COULDN'T RECALL THESE INGREDIENTS, SO I LEFT 'EM OUT)

Add pimento to couscous, toss, fluff with fork, and serve.

kima
06-13-2002, 04:08 PM
So tell me-is there a photo of Natasha lurking around here somewhere?