PDA

View Full Version : What to do with leftover shredded chicken?

greysangel
07-01-2002, 09:33 AM
Help me out people..I'm brain dead today!

Because of a change in shopping schedule (tonight vs last night), I have a bag of shredded chicken leftover from that delicious roasted lemongrass chicken with coconut lime glaze. The chicken has this wonderful lemony, gingery, onion flavor so I'm not sure the best way to use it.

Any ideas?

JeAnne

Molli526
07-01-2002, 09:34 AM
What about one of the peanut noodle recipes - or the Malaysian Chicken Pizza?

lorilei
07-01-2002, 09:44 AM
Maybe a Thai risotto dish with coconut milk, veggies and the chicken? I don't have any specific recipe in mind, but would think something like this would be easy enough to "ad lib"...

I'm also wondering if you could do some sort of refreshing Asian wrap with it... maybe with carrots, jicama and green onions... or green mango! :)

greysangel
07-01-2002, 09:44 AM
oooh...peanutty noodles...mmmm..

:D

JeAnne

greysangel
07-01-2002, 09:46 AM
lorilei - I love the risotto idea...would you just use broth and maybe 1/2 or 1 cup of light milk? I'm just not sure how to ad lib the liquid ratio.

JeAnne

Terrytx
07-01-2002, 09:57 AM
some more ideas-

Taco Chicken Salad from Sept.00
Chicken-Avocado Couscous Salad-6/00
Fajita Salad with Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing-8/97
Japanese Chicken Salad-4/02
Chinese Chicken Pizza with Hoisin Sauce-yorkshirepud

LauraBL
07-01-2002, 10:43 AM
This is from Epicurious. You could add some nonfat yogurt and less mayo to help the fat content. My husband and I really like this version of chicken salad.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Thai-Style Chicken Salad

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 t. salt
1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 cup fresh cilantro -- chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves -- chopped
pinch sugar
3 cups cooked skinless boneless chicken breasts -- minced
1/3 cup shallot -- finely chopped
1/3 cup scallion -- thinly sliced
1/4 cup mayonnaise

In a large bowl whisk together the lime juice, the salt, the chili powder, the coriander, the mint, sugar, and the chicken. Add in
the shallots, scallion, and stir in the mayonnaise.

lorilei
07-01-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by greysangel
lorilei - I love the risotto idea...would you just use broth and maybe 1/2 or 1 cup of light milk? I'm just not sure how to ad lib the liquid ratio.

JeAnne

Yeah -- that sounds about right. I'd probably add the coconut milk toward the end, just for the creaminess and flavor of it. It would be a great way to use up that leftover milk that you get when you make most recipes :)

greysangel
07-02-2002, 09:49 AM
Here it is!!! This was fantastic! Thank you lorilei for the idea :D

Thai Chicken Barley Risotto

JeAnne

4 servings

1 tablespoon sesame oil, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped green onions, divided
2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 jalapeņo chili, minced seeded
1/2 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro, divided
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 jalapeņo chili, minced seeded
1 chopped lemongrass stalk, fibrous shell removed
1 tsp minced ginger
1 large red pepper, cut into thin strips
1 packed cup sugar snap peas
1 lb shredded chicken
1 cup canned light unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon Thai red curry paste (DH has delicate taste buds!)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon chicken broth
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
chopped peanuts (optional)

1. Heat 1/2 TBSP sesame oil in a heavy saucepan. Add 1/2 cup of green onions and 1 TBSP minced garlic and saute until onions are softened and garlic browned. Add jalapeno, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, and 1/4 cup of broth. Add barley with salt and pepper. As the barley absorbs broth, add more broth 1/2 cup at a time until barley is cooked and creamy with a little broth left to absorb.

2. While barley is cooking, heat 1/2 TBSP sesame oil in a large skillet. Add remaining onions, garlic, lemongrass and ginger and saute til soft. Combine paste through vinegar in a small bowl. Add chicken and veggies to skillet and saute for a few minutes. Reduce heat and add coconut milk and bowl ingredients to skillet. Add barley and cook until sauce is thickened and absorbed by barley (approx 10 minutes). Add remainder cilantro and stir to combine. Serve warm with chopped peanuts if desired.

6pt per 1 1/2 cup serving

kmccabe
07-02-2002, 07:17 PM
The Fennel-Grapefruit Salad with Chicken in the June 2002 CL is very good. I was surprised that my husband actually found it hearty enough for dinner. It's got a lot of strong flavors with the fennel, miso and grapefruit, but they all sort of blend together.

I used the leftovers from a lemon baked chicken for this, but I think you could use just about any kind of leftover chicken here.

KM