PDA

View Full Version : Lamb Help

hsdrichb
07-02-2002, 08:32 AM
Hi,
I have made a lamb shank recipie I found in CL twice and every time I take the lamb out og the package, the smell is overpowering, not in a good way either. Is this normal? I made them last night, they were labeled to be good through July 11th, but the smell was sure gross.

SusanMac
07-02-2002, 08:41 AM
Lamb does have a more powerful smell than beef does, but it should smell good. It should smell very much the same as cooked lamb, in my opinion anyway. It's tough to describe the smell, though. If it's happened twice, I'd suggest trying getting lamb at a different market, then you'll have a good comparison. Also, if you get it at a meat counter where they package it for you, ask to smell it first before they put it in cellphane. It feels strange to request that, but the workers actually expect it.

hsdrichb
07-02-2002, 08:43 AM
Hmmmmmm
The lamb was prewrapped from a meat package place somewhere, it wasn't in the meat case. I thought it may be some additive or preservative. Is lamb normally expected to stay ok refrigerated for almost 2 weeks?

SusanT
07-02-2002, 08:46 AM
If you're talking about a cryovac package, there is usually an odor when you first open the package but that's normal.

hsdrichb
07-02-2002, 08:47 AM
what's cryovac? this was a plastic wrap, kinda like shrink wrap.

Curleytop
07-02-2002, 10:07 AM
We also love Lamb Shanks! BE SURE YOU BUY AMERICAN LAMB! I once bought New Zealand, or Australian lamb, and it smelled and was horrible!

emily
07-02-2002, 10:14 AM
I've actually had some really fabulous New Zealand lamb chops. Perfectly tender, wonderful flavor. I've also had good luck with American lamb. As for the smell, no matter how fresh and wonderful smelling I think it is, it revolts my mom. She won't even allow it to be cooked in her house. :rolleyes: So, prehaps you just have a nose that doesn't like the smell... maybe... :confused:

emily

LGBurns
07-02-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by hsdrichb
Hmmmmmm
The lamb was prewrapped from a meat package place somewhere, it wasn't in the meat case. I thought it may be some additive or preservative. Is lamb normally expected to stay ok refrigerated for almost 2 weeks?

Eek! I wouldn't think any raw meat would still be ok for two weeks even refrigerated.

Personally, I so prefer getting meat from a meat counter or butcher rather than in pre-wrapped packages.

hsdrichb
07-02-2002, 11:36 AM
i'm from chicago too, you know any good butchers around here?

yorkshirepud
07-02-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by hsdrichb
Hmmmmmm

I think you just hit the problem ... refridgerating meat for over 2 weeks will do that ... you should freeze it and grab it out the night before you plan to use it ... I think that smell might be 'bad' lamb ...

YP

hsdrichb
07-02-2002, 12:59 PM
I used the lamb the day I bought it. But the "use by" date was July 11th, and I bought it on June 1st. That is why I thought there may be some reservative in the packaging.

hsdrichb
07-02-2002, 01:09 PM
what's cryovac? this was a plastic wrap, kinda like shrink wrap.

Gail
07-02-2002, 02:21 PM
Bad lamb, methinks. Shouldn't be sitting around in the fridge more than two or three days, I believe. Granted lamb does have a more pronounced smell than some other meats, and some people can't stand either the taste OR the smell... but the two week business does seem to to point to suspicious meat.

Bea,

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with New Zealand lamb. I buy it almost exclusively and have been consistently pleased with my purchases. Please don't write it off based upon one bad experience!