PDA

View Full Version : Help! I can't get the water out of my ears

luv2cook
07-05-2002, 12:15 PM
I went swimming yesterday and had a fab time, but I cannot hear out of my right ear and my left ear feels clogged.

I've tried jumping up and down, alcohol, Q-tip and nothing has worked.

HELP!

aggie94
07-05-2002, 12:19 PM
Try Swim-Ear, or a similar product. It's basically just a drying agent (mostly alcohol) that you squirt down into your ear canal to dry the water. It's definitely better than letting the water sit in there and then ending up with an ear infection or Swimmer's Ear.

Actually, I just found a website that mentions you can use a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and alcohol.

SusanT
07-05-2002, 12:21 PM
I use mixture of 50% each white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a small dropper bottle (you can probably buy one from your pharmacist). It dries out the ear canal and keeps the PH level that discourages bacteria that would otherwise give you swimmer's ear.

slknight
07-05-2002, 12:24 PM
You can use rubbing alcohol, or a mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinegar (sorry I don't know the proportions). I usually just do straight rubbing alcohol. Just tilt your head to the side, dump a little alcohol in, and hold your head sideways for a few seconds. That should clear it right up.

Another way that sounds really weird, but is supposed to work is to use a hairdryer. Just make sure that it's on a low setting so you don't burn your ear.

slknight
07-05-2002, 12:27 PM
Susan and I were posting at the same time!

Rubbing alcohol works miracles. Please make sure you do get the water out. I suffered some nasty swimmers' ear when I was a teenager and ended up with a perforated eardrum because I flew while it was so severely infected. OUCH!:eek:

luv2cook
07-05-2002, 12:33 PM
well, i tried the alcohol yesterday. I guess I will now try the 50-50 mixture. It's driving me insane. I can hear myself chew!

well, I wasn't allowed to post so while I was waiting, I went and tried it. It pretty much worked. THanks! I can still feel some in there but I will try soem more later...i still can't believe I found a dropper!

SusanT
07-05-2002, 12:37 PM
Susan - I still have to use the alcohol/vinegar faithfully after every time I swim! I'm recovering from swimmers' ear right now after swimming in a hotel pool. I didn't have my drops and tried to used just rubbing alcohol afterwards - it didn't work.

RobinC
07-05-2002, 12:43 PM
Another vote for the 50/50 White Vinegar and Alcohol. I used it when I got an ear infection after SCUBA diving. Worked like a charm. I rember calling it salad dressing for ears (the vinegar kinda makes it smell like salad dressing) ;)

luv2cook
07-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Yeah, it's kind of a nasty smelling perfume :)

But if it keeps me from going to the doc, I'm all for it.

slknight
07-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Glad to know that the vinegar mixed in works better than just the straight alcohol. I would often have to do the alcohol a couple times in a row to get it to work. I was always just too lazy to mix it up with some vinegar.:o

kwormann
07-05-2002, 01:04 PM
swallow, swallow, swallow and YAWNN!!!

Curleytop
07-05-2002, 05:18 PM
You can also use peroxide (the kind you use for cuts etc) My ears were clogged once, and the Dr. told me to use an eydropper full of peroxide once a month. This sort of bubbles and clears everything out.

Gail
07-05-2002, 05:37 PM
I was surprised you were the only one who mentioned peroxide, Bea. I used to work for an ENT, and that was what he always suggested.

Curleytop
07-06-2002, 10:01 AM
Gail, seems to me that we are on the wave length! Hurrah for the South Bay!

Mlasley
07-06-2002, 05:13 PM
You can try pulling up and back on your ear - that straightens your ear canal - and let the water run out.

luv2cook
07-06-2002, 08:16 PM
well, ok. it initially worked but it's still there!

Now i will try peroxide AND pulling on my ear. I have to clear this up by Tues. I need my hearing to be able to work!

SusanT
07-07-2002, 12:44 PM
You might have the beginning of a swimmer ear infection. It often feels like there's still water in the ear but it's really the swelling from the infection. If this persists, get it checked out by your doctor.

Beth
07-07-2002, 12:51 PM
You probably have some ear wax blocking the water's path out, and a q-tip can make that worse. Get some ear wax remover -- usually near all the eye stuff in the drugstores or pharmacy section of the grocery stores. It's a good idea to get one with a bulb unless you have something to semi-gently squirt warm water in to flush it out when done.

You put the drops in the clogged ear and let it work for 10-20 minutes, so just plan on laying down on your side and relaxing a bit. You will hear bubbling and crackling as the drops react with the ear wax to soften it. When the noise about stops, it should be time to flush it out. You may have to do this a couple of times if it is clogged badly, but the directions will tell you how often you can do it.

When I was pregnant, I got a couple of painful ear infections, and my ENT said that he had seen women with no history get ear infections while pregnant. I got another one later and was told about these drops. The nurse said they almost always work to clear the ear. Hope it helps.