PDA

View Full Version : General Magazine Subscription Question

PENNYNIKKEL
07-09-2002, 07:29 AM
Hi All:

I was just wondering about subscription pricing for magazines. Last year, I subscribed to Shape and have received my renewal notice. The price to renew for one year is $34.97 (for a Canadian resident). I didn't think this was much of a deal, so checked out their website. New subscriptions are $14.97 for one year. Is this typical pricing for subscriptions? I much prefer the inital offering price versus renewal...can you let your membership lapse and then just sign up again as a new subscriber to get the better price?

Thanks for your help.

Joanne

Correction: Oops, just saw on another link that the Canadian price is $29.97, still cheaper, but not as big a deal.

wallycat
07-09-2002, 08:19 AM
I usually contact subscription services and tell them I would be happy to resubscribe if they offered me the same price. Some do and some don't.
I've found that if I let my subscription lapse, I will often receive a letter saying they'll 'let' me have it at the original low price...they wait and wait and wait and hope you cave in.....
DH subscribes to about 4 or 5 motorcycle magazines and the same thing happens with his.
Yoga journal did the same thing, but I finally stopped subscribing...hate the game you have to play and my library began getting the mag.