PDA

View Full Version : Can I use stovetop pans on my gas grill?

KathrynY
07-09-2002, 12:05 PM
It's a hot and hazy 84 degrees here on the Connecticut shoreline right now. My house is un-airconditioned and when I get home from work it will be furnace-like inside from being closed up all day. The last thing I want to do is use my stove or oven.... however, I really want pasta for dinner! :o (specifically, CL's fettucine alfredo)

Over the past two steamy weeks we've had grilled fish, chicken, beef, all sorts of vegetables, quesadillas, pizzas, polenta, you name it, and I'm ready for pasta today! Please tell me there's a way for me to boil pasta on top of my gas grill without ruining my cookware (which is Revereware, by the way). Thanks!

P.S. I do have a couple of cast-iron skillets, but I was thinking the best I could do with those is probably omelettes (if they don't stick horribly).

lisas3575
07-09-2002, 12:08 PM
I would think that it would blacken your nice pans... could you go by Goodwill and pick up a pot meant just for grill use?

wallycat
07-09-2002, 12:16 PM
I've used my cuisinart pan on a propane burner when DH and I took our road trip a few months ago. The bottom gets really black, but it wipes away perfectly clean...it's just soot or something.
I can't see that a gas grill would be much different than a gas stove, except for the BTU output, which shouldn't hurt the pans.

SusanT
07-09-2002, 12:23 PM
Do you have a side burner or are you talking about putting the pan on top of the grill?

sneezles
07-09-2002, 12:34 PM
Absolutely use your pans on the grill! Especially the cast iron! Cooking with them outside allows you to do a true blackened dish (inside it gets too hot and is sure to trip the smoke alarm). But even if you just cook chicken breasts in them be sure that the pan is HOT before putting the food in it, that will greatly reduce the sticking problem.

KathrynY
07-09-2002, 12:42 PM
No side burner - just the grill grate. Although now that I think about it, the grill (new this year) did come with a cast iron griddle plate for cooking pancakes or grilled cheese sandwiches. Hmmm....

SusanT
07-09-2002, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't think that you'd get enough heat concentrated under the pot to bring a large pot of water to a boil. I might be wrong but this doesn't sound like it would work.

KathrynY
07-10-2002, 09:17 AM
Well, I have to report that I chickened out :o . I could have handled boiling pasta on the grill, but I wasn't so sure about continually stirring an alfredo sauce over open flame :eek: (does anyone else feel the hair on their arm start to singe thinking about it?!).

I also got lucky - a thunderstorm headed our way yesterday evening, and by the time I got home from work there was a nice breeze and the temperatures were cooling down, so the kitchen wasn't unbearable after all. :)

However, sneezles' post has got me thinking about a nice blackened dish in the cast iron skillet on the grill - I think it might be worth an experiment! Who knows, maybe I'll work up the courage to try boiling pasta too. ;) Thanks so much for your replies - I'll be sure to let you know when I try it, and how it works out.

LaraW
07-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by sneezles
Absolutely use your pans on the grill! Especially the cast iron! Cooking with them outside allows you to do a true blackened dish (inside it gets too hot and is sure to trip the smoke alarm). But even if you just cook chicken breasts in them be sure that the pan is HOT before putting the food in it, that will greatly reduce the sticking problem. 3.

Sneezles, do you have a recipe for a true blackened dish? I would be interested to try something like this!

sneezles
07-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by LaraW
Sneezles, do you have a recipe for a true blackened dish? I would be interested to try something like this!

This is one I have used for ages. Now Chef Paul is noted for his love of butter! And I wrote it up exactly like he wrote it. You can, however, reduce the amount used. I don't put it on the fish while cooking and I don't feel the need to dip it once I start eating eat. I have posted the nutr anan below the recipe using only 1/2 cup to dredge the fillets.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Blackened Redfish

Recipe By :Chef Paul Prudhomme
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 red snapper fillets -- 8-10 ounces about 3/4-inch thick
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter -- melted and divided
4 tablespoons Cajun seasoning -- Cajun Magic« Blackened Redfish Majic is the brand I use

Heat outdoor grill. While that is heating, heat a large cast-iron skillet on stove over very high heat until it is beyond the smoking stage and you see white ash in skillet bottom, at least 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour 2 tbs of the melted butter in each of 6 small ramekins; reserve and keep warm. Heat 6 serving plates in 250║ oven.

Dip each fillet in remaining melted butter, then sprinkle with cajun seasoning generously and evenly on both sides of fillet, patting it in by hand. Very carefully place hot skillet on outdoor grill (or propane cooker). Place 1 or 2 fillets in skillet and pour 1 tsp of melted butter over each. (being very careful because the butter may flare). Cook, uncovered, over high heat until underside forms a blackened crust, about 2 minutes. (Time will vary according to fillet's thickness and heat of skillet.) Turn fish over and pour 1 tsp of butter over each. Cook until fish is cooked through, about 2 minutes more. Repeat with remaining fillets. Serve piping hot.

Source:
"Louisiana Cajun Majic Cookbook"
Copyright:
"1989"
Yield:
"1 fillet"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 425 Calories; 46g Fat (95.0% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 124mg Cholesterol; 436mg Sodium. Exchanges: 9 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Redfish and pmpano are ideal for this method of cooking. Red snapper, walleye, pike, salmon or tuna steaks can be substituted.

Using 1/2 cup butter in all:
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 153 Calories; 16g Fat (87.3% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 432mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

While it is still high in fat most of that comes from the fish itself and the fact that MC assumes you use all the butter, I have had some left over after dredging.