PDA

View Full Version : Instant Potato Mix Oven Fried Chicken?

claire797
07-15-2002, 11:05 AM
Has anyone ever made oven fried chicken this way? Is it any good? I keep seeing this recipe and it sounds intriguing, but weird.

Oven Baked-Fried Chicken

Ingredients

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups instant mashed potatoes
1/2 cup melted butter
approx 1/2 tsp garlic powder
approx 1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup parmesan Cheese
1/4 tsp paprika
Salt and Pepper

Directions

Spray cooking sheet with Pam. Preheat oven to 350. Mix all dry ingredients. Roll chicken breasts in melted butter. Roll in dry ingredients. Drizzle remaining butter over chicken. Bake in 350 degree oven about 30 minutes turning once

sneezles
07-15-2002, 12:14 PM
I have made this because I murder regular fried chicken! This is nice and easy although not light!

claire797
07-15-2002, 12:23 PM
If I made it I would probably omit the butter or just use spray it with butter flavored Pam. I was just wondering how the crust would taste.

sneezles
07-15-2002, 12:27 PM
I'd say it's closer to a chicken parmesan taste and texture. And I do flatten the breasts before using so they cook more evenly.

claire797
07-15-2002, 12:38 PM
Interesting.

I'm trying to plan a menu for Emma's first birthday dinner. I want to do Fried Chicken, biscuits, corn on the cob, salad and red velvet cake -- but the prospect of frying chicken for a 8 people -- none of whom like dark meat is daunting. I'd have to break out two skillets and do at least two batches to fry all breasts.

So that's why I'm considering oven fried chicken....but I want to use a bone-in recipe that tastes like fried.

I may just do the desk set chicken and use bone-in pieces.

sneezles
07-15-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by claire797
I'm trying to plan a menu for Emma's first birthday dinner.
I may just do the desk set chicken and use bone-in pieces.

Emma's gonna be a year old! Happy Birthday to Emma!!! Need to see a new picture! Is she walking?

I think the desk set would probably be closer to real fried chicken and the rest of the menu sounds great!

Linda in MO
07-15-2002, 01:40 PM
I have made chicken similar to that and it was good, but it won't really taste like "real" fried chicken. Here is an oven fried chicken recipe that I made once and it was delicious. And if I remember right, it tasted quite a bit like "real" fried chicken. Unfortunately, this is probably as fattening and messy to make, too. It is a lot easier to make than frying it in oil though. It's an Amish recipe from Cooking From Quilt Country by Marcia Adams.

* Exported from MasterCook *

OVEN BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN

Recipe By : Steph's Country Kitchen
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 chicken pieces -- legs, thighs and
breasts (8 to 9)
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup butter
1 cup flour
2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. paprika

Place chicken pieces in a large, shallow pan; pour buttermilk over and turn chicken pieces to evenly coat. Cover and refrigerate for two hours.

Place the oil and butter in a shallow pan (a jelly-roll pan is perfect) and put in a heated 375 oven to melt. Set aside.

In a large paper sack or plastic bag, combine the flour and seasonings. Drain the chicken and pat dry. Roll the chicken pieces, 3 at a time, in the melted oil-butter mixture, then drop them into the sack and shake to cover. Place on a dish or wax paper.

Place the coated chicken in the pan, skin side down. Bake for 45 minutes. With a spatula, turn the chicken over and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the top crust begins to bubble.

NOTES from Steph: This is one of the best fried chicken recipes I have tried. It comes slightly altered from one of my very favorite cookbooks, Cooking From Quilt Country by Marcia Adams. I highly recommend her books.

1MegMeg
07-15-2002, 01:40 PM
I have never made oven fried chicken, however, I have made this snapper recipe (used MahiMahi) and I thought it was wonderful!

Potato-Crusted Snapper
Instant potatoes and tangy buttermilk give delicate snapper a lightly crunchy coating.

Published: Cooking Light-06/01/99

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup instant potato flakes (not granules)
4 (6-ounce) red snapper or mahimahi fillets
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
4 lemon wedges

INSTRUCTIONS
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 minutes
Combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish. Place potato flakes in another shallow dish. Dip fillets in buttermilk mixture; dredge in potato flakes. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with lemon wedges.

YIELD: 4 servings

NUTRITIONAL INFO
calories: 244 carbohydrates: 9.2 g cholesterol: 63 mg fat: 5.7 g sodium: 316 mg protein: 36.9 g calcium: 101 mg iron: 0.5 mg fiber: 0.4 g

claire797
07-15-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Linda in MO
I have made chicken similar to that and it was good, but it won't really taste like "real" fried chicken.

I like the idea of using buttermilk. I may give that recipe a try. If I heat up the butter and oil and just brown the chicken before baking, it won't absorb as much oil.

Cook's Illustrated -- and even Alton Brown say that if you put chicken into hot oil it really does not absorb that much fat at all. It's putting it in tepid or room temperature fat that will cause greasiness.