PDA

View Full Version : Need help with dinner tonight

magdon
07-18-2002, 11:36 AM
Semi-unexpected guests tonight, so I need some help. Menu so far includes chicken with cantaloupe-cucumber salsa, spinach (probably lightly wilted), green salad, peaches & ice cream. Questions are:

1. salsa: actually a salad recipe, basically just melon & cucs with lime juice. I was thinking of adding a jalapeno to jazz things up a bit. Any other ideas?

2. Starch: rice? Maybe soba noodles? Add-ins? I feel a semi-asian thing going on, I think b/c of the lime juice in the salsa.

3. peaches: I don't think they are perfectly ripe. If I macerate them in sugar for a bit, think they'll perk up enough to top the ice cream?

4. What the heck: any wine ideas?

Thanks!!

penguin
07-18-2002, 11:58 AM
For the salsa, you might add some chopped red onion &/or cilantro.

For the starch, all I can think of is the Herbed Basmati Rice.

Hope this helps you some! Have a great dinner :D

tuff2000
07-18-2002, 01:16 PM
I would definitley add cilantro, jalapeno and a red onion to the salsa. For the starch, I would go with Jasmine Rice. We usually have jasmine rice with any of the fruit salsas I make. It soaks up the flavors very well, and its aroma is magnificent.
Good luck!

sneezles
07-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Here's a watermelon salsa from Epicurious that you could adapt:

WATERMELON SALSA
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
3 cups chopped seeded watermelon
1 cup chopped seeded honeydew melon or cantaloupe
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
2 tablespoons minced seeded jalape&nitlde;o chilies

Whisk lime juice and sugar in large bowl until sugar dissolves. Add watermelon and all remaining ingredients; toss gently. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

As for the starch, how are you preparing the chicken?

sneezles
07-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Here's wonderful recipe for Peaches:

VANILLA-SCENTED PEACHES

1 2-inch piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1/4 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons sugar
4 peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced

For peaches:
Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into heavy small saucepan; add bean. Add wine and sugar and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to boil Pour syrup into medium bowl. Refrigerate until cold. Add peaches to syrup and toss to coat.

Serve ice cream with peaches.

Serves 8.

Bon Appétit

magdon
07-18-2002, 05:14 PM
such good ideas! thanks very much.