PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Your Favorite Homemade Salad Dressings

patsyk
07-18-2002, 03:33 PM
We have been on a huge salad kick this summer and have been trying to keep things interesting by putting chicken on the BBQ after marinating it in various marinades (we are BIG fans of the one's made by Lawry's). I have also been adding various things to the salad to make it as filling as possible for a main dish.

Since I am new to WW and want to continue to use dressing on the salad besides always doing oil and balsamic vinegar I would love to hear what your favorite dressings are... preferably easy to prepare and very flavorful!

TIA - Patsy :D

sushibones
07-18-2002, 05:07 PM
Here's a couple of threads with the same question:

http://community.cookinglight.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=116325&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

kbucky
07-18-2002, 05:07 PM
I finally have a garden this summer, and we've adopted this easy dressing as our 'house' because it's so easy and tasty! Someone (sorry I don't remember who...thanks whoever you are!) shared it on the bb a while back and I'd filed it away. It's great with a basic green salad (and really yummy with my fresh mesclun!)

Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette

Recipe By: Eating Well Secrets of Low-Fat Cooking

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons grainy mustard
salt and pepper -- to taste

In a small bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, syrup, mustard, salt and pepper until well-blended. Alternatively, combine ingredients in a small jar, secure the lid, and shake until well-blended.

Makes 1/3 cup. Serve on any green salad. Keeps in the refrigerator for a week or two.

mb
07-18-2002, 06:13 PM
ok, this isn't homemade (entirely), but i found it to be really delicious. i ordered the creamy peppercorn salad dressing mix from penzeys and it was OUTSTANDING! yum! yum! yum!

anyhow, it's just a bunch of herbs, and you mix it with some water, let it stand, and then stir in sour cream and mayo (you can use fat free or light). it was easy, and tasty.

i'm not sure how many points the sour cream and mayo would add, but penzey's has various dressing mixes that don't call for these types of additions. www.penzeys.com

marisa :)

Deedy
07-19-2002, 07:32 AM
The Penzey's Green Goddess dressing is fabulous! I make it with non-fat yogurt and just a spoonful of reduced fat mayo - you do not need a lot on your salad as it is so flavorful. This is made from a mix and I'm on my second jar. I have not tried the peppercorn, but now I'll have to put in an order for that too after I gather a new list.

Jewel
07-19-2002, 11:00 AM
This is our favorite:

FAT FREE RANCH DRESSING

16 oz FF cottage cheese
1/2-3/4 cup skim milk
1 TBS White vinegar
1 envelope Ranch Dressing Mix

Blend in blender or food processor till smooth! It goes through a stage of being fairly grainy, but keep processing or blending and it will smooth out! Thin with more skim milk if it's too thick for your tastes. Also makes a killer veggie dip! :)

Also, this is a favorite Asian Slaw recipe. I make the slaw occasionally, but I make the dressing alone quite often! DH loves it on any type of green salad!

ASIAN SLAW

Slaw:

5 cups Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick strips
8 large green onions, cut into matchstick strips
1 large red bell pepper, cut into matchstick strips
1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into matchstick strips
cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 TBS sunflower seed kernels

Dressing:

6 TBS rice vinegar
4 TBS vegetable oil
2 TBS sesame oil
5 TBS creamy peanut butter
3 TBS soy sauce
3 TBS packed brown sugar
2 TBS minced or grated fresh gingerroot
1-1/2 TBS minced garlic
2 tsp Thai chili sauce
tsp red pepper flakes

Whisk dressing ingredients together till smooth, cover and chill. Let stand 30 minutes to room temperature before continuing. Can be prepared one day ahead.

Mix slaw ingredients in a bowl, add dressing and toss to coat. Makes 4-6 servings.

dearamy
07-19-2002, 11:12 AM
This can't actually pass for a recipe because I always just make it "to taste" & therefore don't have measurements. But, what I like to do for summer salads is to mix rice wine vinegar (nice & mild) with fresh chopped basil, a little citrus juice (usually I use lemons since we have a very prolific tree--but it's also good with orange or lime) & just enough oil so that the dressing doesn't slide right off the salad.

wallycat
07-19-2002, 04:25 PM
This is Miso Dressing from a vegetarian cookbook that I can't think of right now :eek:
I have been known to use a spoon so I can eat this right out of the blender :o

Miso Dressing:
3 TBS. white miso
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbs. cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
1-1/2 Tbs. Oriental (toasted) sesame oil
3/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup + 1 Tbs. Water

Blend miso, garlic, vinegar
while machine is running, pour in oil. When emulsified, pour in water till consistency of mayo.

(I've also just dumped everything into a blender and whirrled it around a while...close enough when I'm craving it :D )