PDA

View Full Version : Gunk on non stick skillets

swquilts
07-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Yuck...I have to fess up, I've used PAM on my skillets (40 lashes I know!). Anyway, how do I get the built up gunka off the edges of the pan? I've scrubbed with a Dobie sponge and it still won't budge. Can I use my Barkeepers Friend? :(

sneezles
07-21-2002, 11:54 AM
Do you have Bounce fabric sheets? I know it's sound way too bizarre but fill the pan with water and then the sheet of bounce and let sit for awhile. Should clean right up. I'll go look for the list of things that Bounce is good for...

Edit:
Here it is:

Other uses for Bounce Fabric sheets

Repel mosquitoes.
Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season.

Eliminate static electricity from your television screen.
Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling.

Dissolve soap scum from shower doors.
Clean with a used sheet of Bounce.

Freshen the air in your home.
Place an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer or hang one in the closet.

Prevent thread from tangling.
Run a threaded needle through a sheet of Bounce to eliminate the static cling on the thread before sewing.

Eliminate static cling from pantyhose.
Rub a damp, used sheet of Bounce over the hose.

Prevent musty suitcases.
Place an individual sheet of Bounce inside empty luggage before storing.

Freshen the air in your car.
Place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.

Clean baked-on food from a cooking pan.
Put a sheet in the pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The antistatic agents apparently weaken the bond between the food and the pan while the fabric softening agents soften the baked-on food.

Eliminate odors in wastebaskets.
Place a sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the wastebasket.

Collect cat hair.
Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will magnetically attract all the loose hairs.

Eliminate static electricity from venetian blinds.
Wipe the blinds with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling.

Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sandpapering.
A used sheet of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.

Eliminate odors in dirty laundry.
Place an individual sheet of Bounce at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper.

Deodorize shoes or sneakers.
Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or sneakers overnight so they'll smell great in the morning.

Canice
07-21-2002, 12:11 PM
A houseguest used about half a can of Pam on my Calphalon omelette pan! :mad: I finally bought some Bon Ami but by the time I remembered to pick it up at the store.... most of the gunk had worn off. I don't advise ignoring it (and it looks so ugly) but I was relieved to see that it did eventually come off. Maybe the Bon Ami would help.

Pat
07-21-2002, 01:01 PM
Sneezles, thanks for the list of uses for Bounce. I will definitely use it for mosquito repellent. I use repellent when I am going to be out for a long time at dusk or dawn, but this will be a quick easy remedy for short times. We have had birds found with West Nile virus in the next county so we are being very careful about mosquito bites.

Gail
07-21-2002, 02:24 PM
Susan,

That BOUNCE list is FABULOUS. Thanks. I'm DYING to try that on my poor All-Clad non-stick, and will try the mosquito repellent thing while I'm at it.

I'm allergic to fabric softener in my clothing, so I don't normally buy the stuff-- but hey, if there's another use for it and it actually works, I'll wear gloves...

sneezles
07-21-2002, 03:09 PM
Gail,
Are you allergic to the fragrance or the softener part? I have a sister who gets major headaches from the fragrance used in softeners.

Pat,
There was a horse In Katy, TX that died from the West Nile virus just last week 9that's not too far from Houston). We've had all our horses vaccinated and no reports of birds found died from it in our county. I worry about the cats who like to "chase" birds! It's my understanding that the vaccine is just for horses.

Gail
07-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by sneezles
Gail,
Are you allergic to the fragrance or the softener part? I have a sister who gets major headaches from the fragrance used in softeners...

It seems to be some element of the softener itself, rather than the fragrance. Apparently it causes some nasty skin reactions. I've run the gamut of the various products on the market have found one organic softener which doesn't seem to cause problems, but that's about it. Can't even use powdered detergents for the same reason.

I REALLY miss the fluffy, great-smelling laundry I used to have before I developed this miserable problem!

Kayce
07-21-2002, 07:43 PM
My non-stick skillets are Ultrex. I have used stainless steel cleaner and a stainless steel scruber from AMway, cleans beautiful, and does not scratch the pan either.

Leisa M
07-23-2002, 10:53 AM
What is that and where is it coming up?:(

sneezles
07-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Leisa M
What is that and where is it coming up?:(

Leisa,
Don't know where Cedar Park, TX is but to answer your question:

West Nile Virus
Veterinary Services
October 2001

West Nile is a mosquito-borne virus that was first detected in the United States in 1999. The virus, which causes encephalitis, or inflammation of the brain, has been found in Africa, western Asia, the Middle East, the Mediterranean region of Europe, and most recently in various parts of the eastern United States.

Mosquitoes acquire the West Nile virus from birds and pass it on to other birds, animals, and people. While humans and horses may be infected by the virus, there is no documentation that infected horses can spread the virus to uninfected horses or other animals. Migrating birds may play a role in spreading the disease.

Here's a link for more info on this disease:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/oa/wnv/

Leisa M
07-23-2002, 01:10 PM
Cedar Park, TX is about 3 hours north or Houston in Williamson Cty. Any reports of West Nile virus there? I haven't paid much attention. I worry for me, my DH and my dog (Missy).:eek:

sneezles
07-23-2002, 01:21 PM
There has been only one case here in Texas. A horse in the Harris Cty portion of Katy, TX died as a result of the virus. While there is a vaccine for horses, there isn't one for humans. Dogs and cats don't seem to be effected by it. So the same things you do for avoiding any mosquito is the same for the West Nile infected ones. Use repellent, empty standing water, clean bird baths at least every other day (a mosquito can breed in a puddle of water in 4 days), long sleeves, staying indoors at dusk.
If you find a dead bird the you should call your county health dept to have the bird tested.