PDA

View Full Version : Whole eggs or just the whites?

BlueMoose
07-27-2002, 09:17 PM
I'm just curious, when a recipe calls for egg whites, do you just use the whites, or do you use whole eggs (if it doesn't matter to the outcome of the recipe)? I used to just use the whites, back when I was seriously fat-phobic, but I've gotten so that I'll usually use 1 whole egg instead of 2 whites in recipes. It just seems like such a waste to throw half of the egg away. If I'm making something that used a lot of eggs, like an omelette or frittata or egg salad, however, I don't use all of the yolks. But in something like muffins or a meatloaf I usually just use the whole thing.

MaryH
07-27-2002, 09:31 PM
Whole egg person here. Despite the "current" trend saying egg yolks are "bad" for you, I have a feeling that in a year or two we'll be hearing about the benefits if taken in moderation. I just don't understand how something like an egg, which is a natural product, can be that "bad" for you.

lhall
07-27-2002, 09:45 PM
Most of the time I'll use 1 whole egg instead of two whites. We're not eating tons of eggs so I figure it's not a big deal.

Leigh

lisas3575
07-27-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by lhall
Most of the time I'll use 1 whole egg instead of two whites. We're not eating tons of eggs so I figure it's not a big deal.

Leigh

Ditto. And in all honesty, I'm usually just plain too lazy to seperate the egg. :o

claire797
07-28-2002, 05:55 AM
I used one whole egg too. The yolk only adds 50 calories to the entrie recipe, so if you divide that among however many servings the recipe is, the extra calories are almost negligible. As for cholesterol, I don't have a high cholesterol problem and even if I did, I think high cholesterol involves eating the wrong fats rather than eating actual cholesterol.

I usually don't bother with Egg Beaters either because I find them ridiculously expensive and not that tasty. If I'm using a bunch of eggs in a recipe, then I use a mixture of whole eggs and whites.

BlueMoose
07-28-2002, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by MaryH
Whole egg person here. Despite the "current" trend saying egg yolks are "bad" for you, I have a feeling that in a year or two we'll be hearing about the benefits if taken in moderation. I just don't understand how something like an egg, which is a natural product, can be that "bad" for you.

They've already been backing down on eggs in the past year or two, saying they're fine in moderation.

AD
07-28-2002, 07:33 AM
Since I really only use eggs in baked goods, I base my decision on the desired texture and appearance of the finished product. I do not use only whites in cookie recipes since I do not like the texture it gives them. In addition, I will use whole eggs in lieu of egg substitute in equal volume amounts. I generally have not had much success at all using just whites in any mixture made by creaming butter and sugar in an electric mixer.

I recall a CL pound cake that used egg substitute with an alternative amount of egg whites. In my opinion, without any yolks, it did NOT resemble what I know as pound cake. Chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies also seem too "cakey" with egg whites.

Ohioan
07-28-2002, 01:13 PM
Actually, the yolks have most of the nutrients: Vitamins A and D, minerals, etc. So have a nice little custard or zabaglione and think about how healthy it's making you! :D

Cheers,
Phoebe

Sami
07-28-2002, 01:14 PM
i agree with Ad. I used to use only whites (I hate Egg Beaters), and throw out the yolks, but I have gone back to using eggs. They say you can eat 4-5 eggs a week. I have also read that there has been an increase in macular degeneration, which is parially caused by people shunning egg yolks which have the needed protein.

Sami

sneezles
07-28-2002, 01:26 PM
Unless it's an Angel Food Cake or I need a white cake, I use the whole egg. Most times even for the white cake I just use the whole egg, seems very wasteful otherwise.

wallycat
07-28-2002, 02:42 PM
I'm with the whole egg group...

and studies have shown that eggs are not as bad for you as previously thought. THough eggs do contain some sat. fat, most of the concern was in the amount of cholesterol in the yolk. Current findings show that cholesterol intake contributes very little to total blood cholesterol. It is saturated fat that is the baddy.

As Ohioan pointed out, eggs are very nutritious...they have shown that they are extremly beneficial for maintaining our brain health (good lecithin content too :D )...
ok, i'll stop with the egg defense :D :p ;)

AnnaC
08-05-2002, 08:37 PM
What a timely thread....I was planning on making the crustless smoked salmon quiche w/ dill (7/02) which calls for 1 whole egg and 4 egg whites and I was stressing out b/c I didn't want to waste 4 egg yolks- so what kind of combo should I use in this recipe? 3 whole eggs? a more even combo of whole eggs and whites?

CompassRose
08-06-2002, 10:48 AM
Just the whites. I buy them in boxes. Let someone else have the yolks in their purchased bakery cake iced with fake lard and confectioners' sugar. Or else I use Something Else Entirely, which may be flaxseed hull meal, or tofu.

I don't buy Egg Beaters. They're icky. I can get a very nice fresh "egg replacer" here, which is whites with a tiny percentage of yolk and no other weird stuff. My experience has been that these behave very, very close to the real thing in recipes, even things like flan and custard. Egg Beaters, on the other hand, behave like what they are: over-chemicalized, altered gunk.

What's going on today? Am I on the right board? "Do you make your CL recipes with full-fat cream and extra cheese?" "What's your favourite way to eat butter and salt? By the glassful?"

???????:rolleyes:

Terrytx
08-06-2002, 10:55 AM
I usually use Egg Beaters.

Valerie226
08-06-2002, 11:33 AM
I use a combination approach. If recipe calls for a whole egg and 2 whites, I use the whole egg and egg substitute. I hate throwing away the yolks, not because I like them, but cause I'm cheap & they get the sink drain gooey. I agree with most of you who don't obsess over a yolk or two. they are a minor issue unless you eat a whole lot of eggs or have some serious health issues. I dislike the smell of cooked eggs & for omelets/ frittatas I will use maybe 1-2 whole eggs plus egg substitute. It doesn't smell so sulfery, plus I use lots of vegies too.