PDA

View Full Version : Cornmeal: Self Rising vs Regular?

swquilts
07-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Is there a big difference between self rising cornmeal and the regular in the orange/blue box? Can I substitute? To tell you the truth I have cornmeal in a Tupperware container and I have no clue whether it or not it's self rising!! I have all the ingredients otherwise.

lhall
07-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Yes, the regular stuff has no levaning (sp?)agents.

Self-rising cornmeal (I think) has some self-rising flour mixed in, therefore it has baking soda and salt.

Regular cormeal, is just that cornmeal. So you have to add self rising flour to it.

Leigh

swquilts
07-30-2002, 07:38 AM
Thanks Lhall! So, I would either have to add self rising flour or could I just add the leavening agents? I want to make that psuedo tamale pie that I believe Sneezles posted and I don't want to have to go get MORE cornmeal since I have a ton already. Any other thoughts?

lhall
07-30-2002, 07:42 AM
Well, that's something I would't know.

I'm not sure about proportions, that's not my strong point. I guess you could mix some baking soda, salt, and regular flour. But, I have now idea how much you would need to add.

At my grocery store it's very hard to find plain cornmeal. If you don't know I'd guess it was cornmeal mix (which is self-rising). Only because this is 99% of the cornmeal my store carries. I found two brands of cornmeal and about 8 of cornmeal mix on my last trip to the store.

Leigh

AD
07-30-2002, 07:48 AM
Here is what the Cook's Thesaurus (www.foodsubs.com) says:

self-rising cornmeal To make your own: Combine one cup cornmeal, one cup flour, one tablespoon baking powder, one teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup butter or other fat.

SusanT
07-30-2002, 08:11 AM
In my neck of the woods, self-rising cornmeal doesn't have flour in it - just cornmeal but that's probably due to regional preferences.

To find out if your cornmeal is self rising, give it a taste. If it has a distinct salty taste, it's most likely self-rising. If it's not, it's probably plain cornmeal.