PDA

View Full Version : No meat mallet, what to do?

ChristineLiu
07-30-2002, 12:23 PM
I want to make stuffed chicken, but the recipe calls for flattened chicken breasts. I don't have a meat mallet, does anyone have any ideas on what I can use to pound the chicken? Thanks.

SQ
07-30-2002, 12:26 PM
I've used a can before. Put chicken between plastic wrap and pound with the side of a can. Probably a rolling pin would work too.

Chris415
07-30-2002, 12:26 PM
Place the chicken between pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper and use either an iron skillet or a hammer! :)

swquilts
07-30-2002, 12:31 PM
Try using the bottom of a saucepan!

brykate
07-30-2002, 12:36 PM
When I was first married (and "young") I once used DH's hammer. :rolleyes: :( I would NOT reccomend it! Tore the paper, shredded the meat; .... just embarassing!
Am I older and wiser now? :p uh.....

d_ferrero
07-30-2002, 12:42 PM
a wine bottle (empty) or a rolling pin will also work.

lhall
07-30-2002, 02:37 PM
I normally use a rolling pan. I've used cans before, but usually end up denting them.

Leigh

SusanT
07-30-2002, 02:43 PM
I use my 2 cup pyrex measuring cup and put the chicken breasts between two pieces of saran wrap to reduce splattering.

funnybone
07-30-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by swquilts
Try using the bottom of a saucepan!

I use my Calphalon 1 quart. It's heavy and large enough that one or two whacks does the trick.

HRJ
07-30-2002, 03:16 PM
When I was in college and had a bare-bones kitchen in a student apartment, I once used a copy of Charles Dickens' "Bleak House." :D

Helene

Wendy w
07-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by brykate
When I was first married (and "young") I once used DH's hammer. :rolleyes: :( I would NOT reccomend it! Tore the paper, shredded the meat; .... just embarassing!
Am I older and wiser now? :p uh.....

I should hope so. :p Will have to try this method the next time I want shredded meat.

A cast iron skillet has worked for me in a pinch.

bkiaj
07-30-2002, 03:38 PM
I've made a fist and pounded with my hand on numerous occasions. Also, the handle of a large butcher knife or the like.

I have had good results with rolling pins, too.

Dewey
07-30-2002, 03:47 PM
When I was first out of college and needed to pound meat for some ambitious (or so it seemed at the time) dish, I used a smooth, round river rock that my then BF had given me (don't ask why he gave me a rock...) I still have that rock, and still use it! I just put the meat between saran wrap layers or waxed paper, so the rock doesn't get icky. I actually prefer it to my meat mallet, especially sinced I nearly brained my DH once when the head of the meat mallet went flying!:o :p :D

Laurie

ChristineLiu
07-30-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by HRJ
When I was in college and had a bare-bones kitchen in a student apartment, I once used a copy of Charles Dickens' "Bleak House." :D

Helene

Hmm, let's see what I got; there's organic chem, physics, calculus... lots of choices. Thanks for the inspiration. :) I think I'll try my rolling pin first (it's just wood, so I don't know if that's heavy enough) and then go from there.

Ohioan
07-30-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by bkiaj
I've made a fist and pounded with my hand on numerous occasions.
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's used her fist! I was afraid everyone would think of me as a berserker if I admitted to it. :rolleyes:

Hmm, could this be a variation on Psycho Chicken, i.e., Berserker Chicken?:p

Cheers,
Phoebe

Gail
07-30-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Ohioan

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's used her fist! I was afraid everyone would think of me as a berserker if I admitted to it. :rolleyes:

Hmm, could this be a variation on Psycho Chicken, i.e., Berserker Chicken?:p

Cheers,
Phoebe

Wouldn't you simply call it "battered?" :p