PDA

View Full Version : Rescue an old(very old) recipe

sharon kopenski
08-01-2002, 05:27 PM
I wanted to make this recipe and found out that they don't make packaged frosting mix anymore Boy, does that date me. Here is the recipe. I bought canned frosting, do you think I could make it work?

Fudge Brownie Ring Cake

1 Package of Pillsbury Family Size Fudge Brownie Mix
1 package Pillsbury Cocunut pecan Frostin Mix
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs

Combine and cook at 350 for 60 to 70 min. Or 325 if you have a colored fluted tube pan( which I'm sure you all have never even seen but mine is burndt orange and works just fine)

So what do you think would happen if I use the can of frosting?

Sami
08-01-2002, 05:36 PM
What kind of frosting did you buy? If you have white frosting, you can add unsweetened coconut and pecans to it to simulate the commercial brand.

Sami

funnybone
08-01-2002, 05:46 PM
Were you supposed to prepare the cake and frosting mixes to package directions, or just add the two mixes with the other ingredients? I can't see how the canned stuff can work if you only use the dry package as is. I'm confused I guess.

sharon kopenski
08-01-2002, 07:03 PM
You were supposed to mix the dry package ingredients with sour cream,milk and eggs. I bought coconut pecan frosting but it is in a can and certainly isn't dry. What should I do

valchemist
08-01-2002, 08:35 PM
Sharon,

I hope that this recipe I found will help...

Val

Brownies To Die For

A luscious coconut, pecan, caramel, sour cream brownie that will have your taste buds dancing and begging for more. We have at times even melted caramels on top with the pecans instead of the chocolate chips, or have mixed caramels into the batter along with everything else. Your friends will demand the recipe.

1 (19.8 ounce) package
brownie mix
1 cup sour cream
1 (16 ounce) container
coconut pecan frosting
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease
one 9x9 inch baking pan.
2 Mix the brownie mix according to box directions,
omitting 1/2 of the oil asked for. Stir in the sour cream and
coconut pecan frosting. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
3 Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in preheated oven. Be careful
not to overbake, or they will harden and be impossible to
eat! About 5 minutes before brownies are done, remove from
oven, and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top along with
chopped pecans. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove
pan from oven, and use a spatula to spread the melted
chocolate chips over the top to frost the brownies.

sharon kopenski
08-01-2002, 08:49 PM
Val
Thank you, those look great. I made the cake and it's still in the oven but it looks good and smells good. I actually used the can of frosting and all the other ingredients and it looked OK so I baked it. Maybe the canned frosting is just the mix with water already added. We really are a fast paced nation. Thanks for taking the time to helpe out. Sharon

Dewey
08-01-2002, 09:09 PM
Val - you never fail to amaze me! I can't believe that you found a recipe that is so similar to the one that Sharon was looking for! I think you deserve so sort of award for always finding/having/posting recipes.

valchemist
08-02-2002, 08:04 AM
Well, shucks...

I just found it intriguing that an ingredient in a recipe was frosting.

these recipes sound yummy!

Sharon, let us know how they turned out!

Val

funnybone
08-02-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by sharon kopenski
You were supposed to mix the dry package ingredients with sour cream,milk and eggs. I bought coconut pecan frosting but it is in a can and certainly isn't dry. What should I do

That is how I read the recipe, so that is what I assumed, but I didn't think the creamy frosting would work the same. Glad Val was able to help you out!!! Let us know how it is!

Don't you just hate it when they discontinue products and you never know until you have a craving for it again :mad: :D

sharon kopenski
08-02-2002, 08:34 AM
You are very bad people. I wasn't going to cut this cake, I was going to go exercise and then come home and pack for camping for the weekend and then pack again as I leave Tues for a 10 day bike trip in France. But instead(all because of you dear people)I cut the cake and it is very very good, but rich . It looks like a not very tall bundt cake with a sorta dry texture on the outside, but inside is this soft almost gooy choclate brownie center. I think my camping friends will like it and I'm staying away from it (oh how I wish that were true) It's good ! I really appreciate the help and it was easy to throw together and I will keep the recipe for times when I want a quick treat for men and kids.

LauraBL
08-02-2002, 08:49 AM
Okay, maybe this is a regional difference but I used to see "Jiffy brand" frosting and cake mixes. The ones in the small blue boxes. Of course that was in Oklahoma where we also still had "rickrack edge" postcards!

Laura

valchemist
08-02-2002, 09:24 AM
Sharon,

thanks for "doing your duty" by cutting that cake and tasting it for us! Sounds really good and too simple. Maybe I will try it or the other recipe that I posted.

Val