PDA

View Full Version : Can crabmeat be frozen?

401krep
08-03-2002, 12:32 PM
My local grocery store is having a great deal on lump crabmeat. I definitely don't want to use it right away since I just had crabcakes for dinner last night. Does anyone know if lump crabmeat can be frozen? It comes in a 1 lb. plastic container in the seafood section of the grocery store. Thanks!

Vanessa

little_bopeep
08-03-2002, 12:50 PM
Absolutely, I do it all the time.

401krep
08-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Thanks! Do I have to do anything special to it or just throw the plastic container in the freezer? I didn't want it to get freezer burn or anything.

little_bopeep
08-04-2002, 01:42 PM
I buy it in a cryo-sealed package that I leave it in until it's open, and then I put it in a ziplock baggie. No big deal at all. :cool:

guavagirl
08-04-2002, 02:08 PM
... and how about thawing? In the fridge overnight? In the m'wave? Thanks!

Vanessa
08-04-2002, 06:55 PM
Hi You are a Vanessa too?
Yes you can freeze very succesfully crabmeat. DH just got me the food saver and I think I am going to get some crabmeat and freeze. I usually get great lump crabmeat at Safeway on sale (frozen section) I thaw it in a big pan of water Thawes fast and make crabcakes...

Vanessa

little_bopeep
08-05-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by guavagirl
... and how about thawing? In the fridge overnight? In the m'wave? Thanks!

I wouldn't defrost in the nuke because the meat is so delicate. I just leave mine in the fridge overnight or (gasp!) on the counter because it really does thaw quickly.

Angela
08-05-2002, 09:10 AM
I freeze and then thaw in the refridge. Works great!

pattiarl
08-05-2002, 10:45 AM
I'm so glad that is the answer since I bought some crab meat and didn't use it so I just stuck in the freezer just in case that was the answer. I'm been meaning to ask just that question....

sunberst
08-05-2002, 10:56 AM
i will only buy it frozen. i live in the midwest. there is no such thing as *fresh* crab at the local grocery stores. (they might have it at supreme lobster where they fly seafood in daily).

so chances are, it was previously frozen, and then they thaw it on ice at the store, and then you are going to take it home & refreeze it again.

why not just buy it already frozen? crabs HATE microwaves! don't do it!

401krep
08-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Vanessa,
Yes, I'm a Vanessa too! And I also live in Maryland. And just like you, I bought my lump crabmeat on sale at Safeway this week...only $10 a pound! I made crab dip and the rest is in my freezer until I make Crisfield's crab cakes!

Vanessa