PDA

View Full Version : I'm swimming in blackberries ....

JenZen
08-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Blackberry season has started! I picked a gallon and a half last night, and that's just the start of the season. They are so good, but I'm looking for some creative recipe ideas. I have a great blackberry/cinnamon/pecan streusal pie that I make. I should post that because it's soooo yummy.

Anyone have any blackberry recipes to share?

Gilgamesh37
08-15-2002, 01:22 PM
I WISH I had this problem!!! I love them but have no "source" so I do the farmer's market, but they're so pricey. Ah well, they're worth it.

This was originally my raspberry ice cream recipe, which I adapted to blackberry for a friend--only did it once because without a blackberry source, it came out to something like $10 per quart!

Blackberry Ice Cream

16-18 oz. blackberries
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 1/4 c half and half
1 cup heavy cream
½ c sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

In food processor or blender, purée berries and force through a fine sieve and discard the seeds. Stir in lemon juice and chill for 2 hours (or overnight). In a saucepan, scald half and half and sugar, stirring. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks until light and thick, pour in half and half mixture, whisking, and transfer the custard to the pan. Cook the custard over moderately low heat, stirring, until it coats the spoon. Transfer to a bowl, stir in vanilla, and let cool, covered. Chill for at least 2 hours (or overnight), then add blackberry purée. Freeze in ice cream maker.

Linda in MO
08-15-2002, 01:29 PM
Here are some excellent recipes I've made this summer...

St. Louis Ooey Gooey Berry Butter Cake http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?threadid=26314&highlight=blackberries

Blackberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Streusel Filling
http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?threadid=27458&highlight=blackberries

For-The-Glory Blackberry Pie
http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?threadid=26720&highlight=blackberries

Here's a Blueberry Pudding Cake recipe that's great. Don't know why you couldn't use blackberries.
http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?threadid=20482&highlight=blueberry+pudding+cake

yorkshirepud
08-15-2002, 01:32 PM
Jen,

I made this last week and it was delicious. I subbed blueberries for the raspberries, so I'm you could just throw you blackberries in there.

Raspberry-Almond Coffeecake

INGREDIENTS FOR 8 SERVINGS:
1 cup fresh raspberries
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons stick margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon sliced almonds
1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon skim milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS:
This recipe from our May 1994 issue bursts with the sweet, tangy bite of fresh
raspberries--though most any in-season berry will work. With yogurt replacing
the traditional sour cream, you'd never guess it is light. Not too gooey and
not too sweet, this is what a classic coffeecake should be.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine raspberries and brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.

3. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl.
Combine yogurt, margarine, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and egg in a small bowl; stir
well. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon two-thirds of
batter into an 8-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray; spread evenly.
Top with raspberry mixture. Spoon remaining batter over raspberry mixture; top
with almonds.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Combine powdered
sugar, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla; stir well. Drizzle over cake. Serve
warm or at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 176 (23% from fat); FAT 4.5g (sat 1g, mono 1.9g, poly 1.2g); PROTEIN
3.5g; CARB 30.4g; FIBER 1.7g; CHOL 28mg; IRON 1.1mg; SODIUM 131mg; CALC 59mg

YP

foodfiend
08-15-2002, 01:47 PM
JenZen -- just wanted to say I love the title of your thread. Very poetic.

RebeccaT
08-15-2002, 02:29 PM
I want to be swimming in blackberries! I love em!

I made this last summer, and it was very good - summery, light, and not too sweet!

Blackberry-Lemon Pudding Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Jan/Feb '98

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons stick margarine or butter -- melted
2 large egg yolks
3 large egg whites (at room temperature)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups blackberries, blueberries or raspberries
Cooking spray
3/4 teaspoon powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350º.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine
flour, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl; add
buttermilk, rind, juice, margarine, and egg yolks, stirring with a whisk
until smooth.
Beat egg whites at high speed of a mixer until foamy. Add 1/4 cup
granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into buttermilk mixture;
gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Fold in blackberries.
Pour batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
Place in a larger baking pan; add hot water to larger pan to depth of 1
inch. Bake at 350º for 35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched
lightly in center. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm.

Serving Size: 1 cup

Description:
"As this dessert bakes, a light, spongy cake forms over a delicate
bottom layer of custard. A water bath cooks the pudding cake with
gentle, even heat."
Source:
"Cooking Light, January/February 1998, p.82"
Copyright:
"© Cooking Light"
Yield:
"5 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 286 Calories (kcal); 7g Total Fat; (22% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 51g Carbohydrate; 99mg Cholesterol; 187mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

brykate
08-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Our favorite cobbler is BLACKBERRY! And this is the best and easiest cobberl in the world. (can you tell I like it a lot? :-)

FRUIT COBBLER
4cups fruit - into 8x8 or 2 quart pan

3 Tbl stick marg
1 1/2cup sugar (divided)
1cup flour
1 tsp bkg pwdr
1 tsp salt
1/2cup milk
1 Tbl cornstarch (or more depending on juicy-ness)
1 cup boiling water

Sprinkle fruit with cinnamon. (generously!)
Cut butter into flour, bkg pwdr, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar. Add 1/2 cup milk and beat until smooth. Spread over fruit.
Mix remaining 1 cup sugar with cornstarch and spread over batter. Pour boiling water slowly over all. 375' 40 - 50 minutes or until crust looks golden and done. Serve warm with cool whip or ice cream.

Let us know what you do. Our blackberry season is upon us as well. Yum!
:) Katie

Canice
08-15-2002, 02:37 PM
Lucky you! We've got huge, healthy bushes all over the place, but not enough heat to ripen the berries :( (water, water, everywhere and not a drop to drink!)
But I hope I'll soon be able to make...

Blackberry Crumble
5 cups blackberries
2 Tbsp. flour
Sugar, to taste
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Rinse the blackberries and remove stems. Place the berries in a deep 8x8 -inch baking dish, filling to within 1 inch of the top. Gently stir in the flour to thicken the juices and sprinkle the berries with sugar. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the butter, oats, flours, and brown sugar to make a crumbly texture. Place on top of the berries and pat lightly. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until juice starts to bubble around the edges. Serve warm with ice cream, yogurt, or sour cream.

BTW Linda I LOVE your new avatar!

Luckyfeather
08-15-2002, 02:39 PM
I'm sure you already know this, but just wanted to put in that blackberries freeze very well.:)

MKSquared
08-15-2002, 02:51 PM
... and there's nothing better than homemade blackberry jam. :D

greysangel
08-15-2002, 04:27 PM
and there's also a CL recipe for lemon buttermilk bread pudding with blackberry sauce.

yummy :D

beejayw1
08-15-2002, 07:51 PM
Summer Berry liqueur:

In the summertime, when they are ripe, take:
2 quarts berries - raspberry, black raspberry, blackberry or boysenberry. (Strawberries and blueberries don't work as well)
mix with:
2 C granulated sugar
Allow to sit for about an hour. You may mash them together if you wish to. You may also add more sugar, if you like.

In a large (as close to a gallon as you can get) glass jar, combine berries and two fifths of vodka or bourbon or brandy, depending on the taste you want.

For a straight berry taste, use vodka. Get a cheap brand.
For a more 'liqueur' taste, use brandy or bourbon. I prefer bourbon. Again, don't waste your money on expensive brands: the star of this recipe is the berries.

Mix all together in the large jar (you can use 2 or 3 smaller jars, but make sure you have a proper balance between liquid and solid), cap securely, and put it in a closet or somewhere fairly dark until after Thanksgiving. Whenever you see it, shake it up well.

After Thanksgiving, strain the liquid, squeeze excess liquids out of the solids, and discard them. (A friend suggested that I try to make jam with the solids, but I don't wish to have the kitchen explode from the alcohol fumes.) At this point you should let the bottle sit so that the sediment can settle to the bottom.

Once the sediment has settled, carefully decant the clear liquid out. Using a clean coffee filter and basket, filter the remaining liquid.

You can drink the liqueur at this point, but it's best if you can wait till after New Years. In fact, the longer you wait, the better it is.

MKSquared
08-15-2002, 09:56 PM
beejayw - you ROCK! Thanks for posting that liqueur recipe! My grandfather loves blackberry brandy, and it would be a real treat to give him a homemade bottle of that treat!

I don't have blackberries handy, but it would be worth dropping a few bucks to make it for him. :) :)

Cathy
08-15-2002, 10:01 PM
I made this recently and it was really good and great for summer.

Blackberry Sherbet (Courtesy of Sunset Magazine)

In a blender or food processor, whirl 3 cups (about 1 lb.) rinsed blackberries, 1 1/4 cups sugar, 1 TBSP lemon juice and 1/8 tsp salt until smooth. Press through a fine stainer into a bowl; discard seeds. Taste, and add more sugar (up to 1/4 cup) if desired. Stir in 1 1/2 cups half and half (light cream). Cover and chill until cold, about 1 hour. Purs into an ice cream maker (1 1/2 qt or larger capacity); freeze according to manufacturer's directions until mixture is softly frozen. Serve soft, or freez airtight until firm, about 3 hours, or up to 3 days. Makes about 1 quart; 6 to 8 servings

RobinC
08-15-2002, 10:37 PM
mmmmmmmm.....balckberries......mmmmmmmm

Here are a few that I have

Blackberry Roly-Poly with Sliced Lemon Sauce

Serves 8

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups fresh ripe blackberries
6 tablespoons sugar

Sliced-Lemon Sauce:
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 to 2 lemons, preferable Meyer lemons, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into paper-thin crosswise slices on a mandoline or by hand

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly butter two 12-inch loaf pans. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the 4 tablespoons cold butter until the mixture resembles crumbs. Add the milk and mix with a fork until the dough comes together. Turn out onto a floured board and knead 4 or 5 times, or until smooth. Cut the dough in half. On a floured board, roll out half the dough into a rectangle 8 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. Brush with half the melted butter. Top with 3/4 cup of the blackberries and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of sugar. Roll up jelly-roll style, forming an 8-inch long roll. Place, seam-side down, in one of the prepared pans. Repeat the process, using the remaining half of the dough and filling. Bake in the pans for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is firm and beginning to brown.

While the roly-poly is cooking, made the sauce. In a medium saucepan, blend together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in the water, lemon juice, and vanilla bean and scrapings until smooth. (If using vanilla extract, wait to add until the syrup is removed from the heat.) Cook over medium heat, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and clear. Remove from heat and add the butter and continue to stir until melted and blended. Let cool slightly and stir in the lemon slices. Take out vanilla bean, if using.

Remove the roly-poly from the oven and let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack. Cut into 2-inch slices and serve with lemon sauce.

Note: The lemon sauce will keep for 3 to 4 days but it is best served the day it is made. It will thicken when refrigerated, simply stir to loosen the sauce.

Roast Pork with Blackberry-Pinot Noir Sauce

Serves 6

1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 3 1/2 pounds)
1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

Blackberry-Pinot Noir Sauce
1 cup fresh or partially thawed frozen unsweetened blackberries
1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth, canned or homemade
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter
1 large shallot, minced
1/2 cup pinot noir, zinfandel, or other full-bodied red wine
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350.

Place the roast, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow baking dish. If the roast is lean, brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with thyme. Roast for 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the center of the roast reads 160 for well done. Transfer the roast to a platter. Cover loosely with foil and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.

Meanwhile, made the blackberry-pinot noir sauce.

Combine the berries and broth in a food processor. Pulse on and off until liquefied. Strain out the seeds and reserve the berry pulp. Melt the 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and sauté for 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the blackberry-broth mixture, the pinot-noir, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced by half, 3/4 to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. (The sauce can be held for up to 1 hour. Reheat if necessary.) Whisk in the remaining 4 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Taste to season, if necessary, with salt and pepper. Keep warm.

JenZen
08-16-2002, 08:46 AM
Thanks so much, everyone. I'm printing this entire thread. I think tonight will make for some good berry picking. It's cool, sunny and rather bug free in Wisconsin this week. Only problem is that my allergies are starting. :(

I've frozen quite a few berries already, so these recipes should stretch well into winter.

ClaraB
08-16-2002, 09:14 AM
There are a couple of blackberry recipes in the June 2000 CL (I had it out last night to get the zucchini bread recipe, since I'm swimming in zucchini :rolleyes: ). There's a blackberry-lemon upside-down cake, and blackberry-cream cheese crepes. There's also an English summer pudding that also uses peaches and raspberries. Let me know if you're interested in any of these, and I'll post them for you!

Linda in MO
08-16-2002, 09:27 AM
Here's another good one that I forgot about...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Batter Fruit Cobbler

Recipe By : posted by Grace at cl
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cobbler/Crisp Fruit Dessert

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 Tblsp. unsalted Butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup plus 1 Tblsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
2 cups peeled -- sliced peaches (I used blackberries)

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350ºF. Put butter in 8-inch square or 9-inch round pan, set in oven to melt.

2. Whisk flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Add milk; whisk until just incorporated into dry ingredients. When butter has melted, remove pan from oven. Pour batter into pan, WITHOUT stirring it into butter, then arrange fruit over batter. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon sugar (I also sprinkled it with cinnamon). Bake until batter browns, about 40-50 minutes.

This is a tried and true!! Hope you like it if you decide to try it!

NOTES from Grace: Here is a recipe for Peach Cobbler that I use ALL the time that came from Cook's Illustrated....it's FANTASTIC and really, really easy!

KateH
08-17-2002, 08:24 AM
Thank you Jen, for posting this question. I just moved to Wisconsin (and got married, moved into my first house, and started a new job, all in a month, but that's material for a totally different post) and am also awash in blackberries, thanks to the kindness of new friends and neighbors.

I just wanted to ask -- we "flash" froze some, and stored some in the fridge unwashed. Is it true that the berries in the fridge only last 1-2 days?

I checked for "storing" and "berries" in the archives. Whoooooooa!!!

Thanks,
KateH

brykate
08-20-2002, 01:48 PM
Hiya KateH. I actually know where you live! :) My in-laws lived in Prairie Farm for a long time until recently. Small world :cool:

We've been able to store blackberries in the fridge unwashed for as many as 3 days - shallow, not in a deep bowl. But I'm sure you've probably confirmed that by now.

Congratulations on married life, move, and job! :) :)

-Katie

KateH
08-20-2002, 03:03 PM
Katie --

Thanks for that note -- my email notification doesn't seem to be working -- or it's all the futzing I've been doing with our email programs/DSL/etc... Didn't realize you had posted a reply! We did confirm that they were good after 3 days unwashed -- but I didn't know about the shallow bowl business so that's good to know.

I think I know where Prairie Farm is -- I think one of my coworkers lives there. But I am so new that I hardly know where I am!

-Kate H