PDA

View Full Version : Is this anyone else's pet peeve?

kima
08-17-2002, 11:52 PM
I don't have many pet peeves-I try and not sweat the small stuff! One thing that really bugs me these days is seeing people paw over produce! Here in the old folks capital of Canada (One reason I moved here)t alot of elderly people in particular seem compelled to pick up every frigging tomato before finding that "special" one. First I hate thinking of all those hundreds of hands touching everything (I am not a germ-phobe!!) and it is frustrating when you are in a hurry and have to wait behind Miss Picky!
I try and eye the fruit/vegetable looking for a good prospect-THEN I pick it up-if not suitable fine. I don't touch every one of them!
Then there are the people who pick the same two up-back and forth-I can see no discernible difference! It's all I can do not to grab one,stuff it in a bag and send them on their way!
Maybe this is just a cautious Canadian thing?

Kahlico
08-18-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by kima
First I hate thinking of all those hundreds of hands touching everything (I am not a germ-phobe!!)...

This is why I wash all my produce before eating, bananas and melons included. You never know who just sneezed w/o a kleenex handy
:eek:

~emilie
:D

valchemist
08-18-2002, 08:00 AM
the worst offense is when people rip open ears of corn and then throw them back in the bin because they aren't perfect! Who is ever gonna buy those ears of corn now??

Dewey
08-18-2002, 08:22 AM
Val - how do you check your corn before buying it then? I always gently pull back the husks to check the top inch or two. That was I can see if it got regular watering, or if it's starting to dry out. And I think there are still people who will buy them, I've noticed some people are a lot less picky about how their corn looks and will take ones where the kernals are downright nasty looking.

valchemist
08-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Laurie,

I feel the corn through the husk to see that it seems relatively plump. I look at the tassles...Golden and slightly sticky is a sign of fresh corn. Pale silk has been picked too early; black silk is old corn.

And finally, I always get a couple more ears than I need, on the assumption that not every ear of corn is necessarily going to be great.

Val

p.s. I hope I don't come off sounding holier than thou...because I am an offender in touching produce as mentioned in Maureen's initial post. I do examine my tomatoes and peppers and eggplants before buying. I figure people will wash their produce when they get home anyway. And I hate yucky tomatoes and peppers.

boisewinesnob
08-18-2002, 09:46 AM
Well, thank goodness none of you lives in my city because you would all hate me :o . I do all the stuff you guys are complaining about (although at least I don't leave my cart in the middle of the aisle :rolleyes: when people are trying to get through). But I figure I am paying for my groceries, and I am not going to buy stuff that will just go in the trash, gosh darnit!;) I also take my time if I'm looking through the big table of pistachios that they always leave out to tempt me!! Why do I want to buy a bunch of empty shells?:confused: And in bulk foods, I always take a plastic bag, turn it inside out over my hand and then use it as a "glove" to paw through whatever it is I'm getting.

JHolcomb
08-18-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by boisewinesnob
Well, thank goodness none of you lives in my city because you would all hate me :o . I do all the stuff you guys are complaining about (although at least I don't leave my cart in the middle of the aisle :rolleyes: when people are trying to get through). But I figure I am paying for my groceries, and I am not going to buy stuff that will just go in the trash, gosh darnit!;)

Ditto. I would say something in addition to this, but you've summed it up perfectly!

julia
08-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Yes, it is annoying that people do that - there was an incident that made me wonder this week. A grocery store in Toronto was closed because one of their employees had Hepititus A - they had to get rid of all their produce and sanitize the produce area. Pretty scary. They are holding free vacinations for customers today. That was one of our favourite places to shop when we lived in the City. Maybe this will make people think twice about this practice.

DH has seen women in stores picking over snow peas to get the perfect ones. Kind of silly. I just put the plastic bag over my hand and pick up a bunch. So what if I get a few that go in the compost - my time is worth more than that.