PDA

View Full Version : I'm still a newbie: Two ?s

AmyBeth73
08-30-2002, 08:06 AM
Just when I think I've hit the ground running in the kitchen, I realize I still have so much to learn!

I have two questions I'm hoping someone can help me out with:

1. If you start to defrost meat, for more than an hour, then realize you won't be cooking dinner and put the meat back in the freezer, is that bad? Can you do that? DH thinks I should throw it away, but I said I'd check with the BB first. :)

2. If you want to cut a recipe in half, like one for 24 cupcakes, do you just halve all the ingredients? Seems logical, but maybe too easy to be true.

TIA,

Amy Beth

Peggy C.
08-30-2002, 08:12 AM
The meat ? is a tough one. How defrosted is it? If it still feels mostly frozen throw it back in the freezer if not use it. But it should be ok in the fridge defrosted for a day or 2. For me this is something that I really need to feel myself...OMG I'm my mom! (that's what she always said about batters when I was mixing them)

For splitting a recipe, you are correct. I think most people around here say if an item calls for 1 egg, they still use 1 whole egg rather than trying to divide that.

sunberst
08-30-2002, 08:17 AM
re: question 1:
how much longer is "more than an hour?".
and are you letting it thaw in the fridge?

i would say use your best judgement. there have been times where i threw some meat from the freezer to the fridge for about half a day, and decided i was not going to use it. i checked it, and it was still mostly frozen, so i threw it back in the freezer.

now if it were completely thawed out, i probably would just cook the meat really quick, and then put those leftovers in the fridge.

example: last week i was going to make a fancy chicken dish. decided i didnt want to go to the store to get other ingredients, and i didnt want to refreeze it or throw it out, so i sauteed the chicken breasts quickly in some olive oil & light seasonings. then i cut it into strips and kept in my fridge to use in salads & stuff throughout the week. (i ate a lot of chicken ceasar salads that week!)

fish- i definately would not.

re: question 2:
i have always wondered this! but i *think* that you cannot half ALL ingredients in baking, in cooking you can, but not in baked goods. i am not sure the science behind this. anyone know?

BlueMoose
08-30-2002, 09:09 AM
If there are still some ice crystals in the meat it should be OK to refreeze.

Yes, you can just chop that recipe right in half.

sneezles
08-30-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Peggy C.
...OMG I'm my mom!

Isn't it freaky when you not only say the same things but sometimes your voice even sounds like her's??? :eek:

Peggy C.
08-30-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by sneezles

Isn't it freaky when you not only say the same things but sometimes your voice even sounds like her's??? :eek:

Yes, very spooky!