PDA

View Full Version : Mini-menu planning help

lisas3575
08-31-2002, 02:18 PM
I'm hosting a light supper/potluck for some girlfriends on Wednesday and am planning on making Deborah Madison's Spinach Torta in a Potato Crust thingy. Would the pear crisp from September be an ok dessert choice or do you think it's too "home cooking"?

wallycat
08-31-2002, 02:27 PM
Just my opinion....but I'd probably make something else for dessert. Not that it's too home cooking or anything, but I'm thinking that the textures of the two will be so similar.
I'd do something either crisp or crunchy or ultra smooth....biscotti or pudding/mousse or fresh fruit...but that's just me...plus I'm not a huge pear fan :o :eek:

emily
08-31-2002, 02:30 PM
I think the menu sounds tasty. But it's hard to imagine making here because it's still so unforgivably hot. I can't even bear the thought of turning on the oven. So I'd serve the crisp with some ice cream ;)

Emily

kwormann
08-31-2002, 03:59 PM
Lisa, the Spinach Tortao sounds great! Ahich book is it from? Any possibility of sharing the recipe:D:D:D?????

lisas3575
08-31-2002, 06:09 PM
Kim, I'll share the recipe if you tell me what to make for dessert! :p

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24209&highlight=potato+crust

kwormann
08-31-2002, 06:23 PM
Deal.

How about a Key Lime Pie or a Lemon Sorbet. They are both very refreshing. Let me know if you need a recipe:)

lisas3575
08-31-2002, 06:38 PM
Found this in the recipe finder, I'm off to search for reviews....

Individual Chocolate Mousse Cakes

INGREDIENTS:
1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tablespoon dark rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine 3/4 cup sugar, cocoa, flour, and salt in a small saucepan. Add water; stir well with a whisk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Place chopped chocolate in a large bowl. Pour hot cocoa mixture over chocolate; stir until chocolate melts. Stir in the rum and vanilla.

Place 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, and egg white in a bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for 6 minutes. Gently fold the egg mixture into chocolate mixture.

Divide chocolate mixture evenly among 10 (4-ounce) ramekins coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until puffy and set. Serve warm.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
calories: 213 carbohydrates: 36.8 g cholesterol: 43 mg fat: 6.4 g sodium: 49 mg protein: 3.6 g calcium: 12 mg iron: 0.9 mg fiber: 2.6 g

kwormann
08-31-2002, 08:14 PM
that sounds good!!!

lisas3575
09-02-2002, 10:39 AM
Just bumping this up to see if anyone has any other bright ideas...

lisas3575
09-03-2002, 09:25 AM
One last pathetic bump since everyone's back after the long weekend... :o

SandyM
09-03-2002, 09:28 AM
I just love your pathetic bumps.

Oh my, that probably didn't come out the way I intended it. Oh well - you know me. :p :D

Honestly, I think the pear crisp would be fabulous with your dinner, and I really like Em's thought on the addition of ice cream.

valchemist
09-03-2002, 09:34 AM
Lisa,

I think that since the Torta is not a heavy dish (as was mentioned in the recipe notes), you could go with something rich for dessert. Are you looking for something light? Or does it matter? In the mood for a fruit dessert or would you prefer something chocolatey? or some other flavor? Help us out here...there are so many desserts out there!

I think the Pear Crisp with Ice Cream would be fine, though. But it sounds like you are having second thoughts?

Val

lisas3575
09-03-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by valchemist
Lisa,

I think that since the Torta is not a heavy dish (as was mentioned in the recipe notes), you could go with something rich for dessert. Are you looking for something light? Or does it matter? In the mood for a fruit dessert or would you prefer something chocolatey? or some other flavor? Help us out here...there are so many desserts out there!

I think the Pear Crisp with Ice Cream would be fine, though. But it sounds like you are having second thoughts?

Val

I thought Wallycat's comments about the textures of the pear crisp and the torta being too similar was a good point... and now it's too late to buy ripe pears anyway. I'm not necessarily looking for something light in fat, and I'd like something rich or substantial since the "meal" is pretty light. Something that is complimentary and relatively quick to put together, tomorrow is a crazy day. Cheesecake or anything made in a springform pan is out since I'll be using it for the torta.

I'm not much help, am I?

mightyh
09-03-2002, 09:49 AM
What about buttercrunch lemon cheese bars? They are fabulous and taste like cheescake, but cook in an 8x8 pan. And so easy!! I make mine entirely in the food processor and don't wash it in between steps.

valchemist
09-03-2002, 10:38 AM
How about the Butterscotch Apple Pecan Crisp for a nice touch of Fall? Or the Snickerdoodle Cake. Or I have a recipe for Raspberry Almond Bars that is very good. It uses raspberry jam, not raspberries. It has almond extract and white chocolate chips. I thought they were yummy but they would have been out of this world had I used real white chocolate as opposed to "white chips."

I can post any or all of these recipes if you are interested.

Jodi
09-08-2002, 08:55 AM
I'm not Lisa, but I'd LOVE the Snickerdoodle Cake recipe, Val. Sounds yummy! :)

Jodi

lisas3575
09-08-2002, 10:18 AM
Hi Jodi:
I did a search and came up with the recipe on this thread:
http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=276416&highlight=Snickerdoodle+Cake#post276416

There's a bunch of discussion there too, which is why I didn't just copy the recipe. :)

valchemist
09-08-2002, 10:37 AM
thanks for posting the thread, Lisa. Jodi, if you like cinnamon, you'll like the cake!

Jodi
09-08-2002, 07:51 PM
Thanks Lisa and Val! Can't wait to check it out -- snickerdoodles are one of my favorite kinds of cookie, and we just finished off a batch of Snickerdoodle Biscotti last week.

valchemist
09-08-2002, 08:51 PM
On that thread Lisa posted, I noted that the cake does not taste like a snickerdoodle. But it is yummy and cinnamon-y nonetheless.