PDA

View Full Version : Best of BB Survey

RUSTYSMOM
11-19-2000, 08:08 PM
I know I am not alone in the fact that I have discovered endless great recieps that I passed by in the magazine based on the feedback on this site. I am curious to know what some of your "finds" have been?

My current Best of the BB is the Greek CHicken with Raisens and Feta Sauce - I have been getting CL since 93 - I don't ever remember seeing this. It is excellent.

Another favorite that I never would have tried is the Pumpkin Stresuel bread ( I have already made it twice this weekend!!).

On my list to try is the Lemon Swirl Cheesecake!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

SoCal
11-19-2000, 09:01 PM
The two recipes I have made most often due to the reviews on this BB are the Spaghetti Pie and Raspberry Balsamic Chicken. When I showed my son the recipe for Spaghetti Pie he looked at it and said 'I don't think cream cheese and sour cream go with spaghetti' with his nose turned up. As he was getting ready for work I believe he thought about it and realized if he didn't say yes to that, he would have to buy his own dinner on his break http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/wink.gif . So, he told me to go ahead and make it but not to be mad if he didn't like it. Well, that was two weekends ago and he asked for it again last weekend (I made it again) AND wanted me to make it this weekend (I didn't)! I get less than 1 portion and he eats the rest!! As for the Raspberry Balsamic chicken, he described it as the best chicken he had ever had (before that it was the Chicken in White Wine Sauce that was the best!). I've already made that recipe more than a few times.

Well, I know this was more than you needed to know but I couldn't resist. There are many more recipes I have printed that I am going to try soon (Pork Chops Braised in Country Gravy and Sausage Soup with Spinach and Wild Rice to name a couple).

Can't wait to read the other responses! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

BethR
11-19-2000, 09:19 PM
My biggest find so far was a cranberry bread recipe posted by andi (thank you again andi!) in one of the cranberry threads. This quick bread is light, very easy to make, and absolutely delicious! My husband loves it -- I make it at least once a week and it has become the standard against which he measures every quick bread recipe I try. I also want to cast my vote for Spaghetti Pie. I didn't even notice this recipe in the magazine, and didn't try it until I saw all the great reviews on this board. It is one of our favorites now.

kwormann
11-20-2000, 05:54 AM
Spaghetti Pie!! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/biggrin.gif

I have a husband who thinks everything is "OK" (VERY frustrating to the cook)..he RAVED about this and ate 2 servings at for dinner and 2 again the next lunch!!!

Kim

lsdesign
11-20-2000, 07:24 AM
OK! I'm taking the bait. Where is that Spaghetti Pie thread?

Natasha
11-20-2000, 07:30 AM
The African chicken peanut soup from Sept. 1999.

emilycat
11-20-2000, 07:30 AM
Natasha's Risotto with Greens and Gorgonzola...it was so wonderful that I ate my leftovers for the next day along with my normal portion! Maybe next time I should just make one serving... http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/wink.gif

Kristilyn1
11-20-2000, 10:21 AM
Most of the ones I've really loved have come off this board.

Non-CL Best Find:
Triple Fruit Scones--yum, yum

CL Best BB Finds:

Lemon swirled cheesecake
Vidalio onion risotto
Beef Empanada Pot Pie
Parmesan crusted chicken with apples and leeks

and I can see that I will HAVE to dig out that Spaghetti Pie recipe that I keep swearing that I will get to one of these days....

Kristi

RUSTYSMOM
11-20-2000, 01:28 PM
Natasha - perfect example - the Africian Chicken Peanut Soup. I now must try this recipe!!

Thanks

Wendy w
11-20-2000, 02:07 PM
I have to say the sage chicken recipe that Ralph posted on the "what to do w/ a sage plant?" in August or September and a recently posted chicken w/ caper sauce recipe.

Of course, there are many, many "must tries", including Lemon Swirl Cheesecake, Spaghetti Pie and lots of posted recipes, but there are more of those than I have cooking time!!

My boyfriend and room mate tease me about all of the recipes from the bb that I have downloaded into Word documents. It is the equivalent of a great, big cookbook http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/biggrin.gif !

Wendy

venus
11-20-2000, 02:41 PM
I'm going to vote for Ed's Red Wine and Mushroom sauce. I made it the other night and it was amazing! I can't wait to make it again. Of course, there are so many good ones on here that I just can't wait to try. http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by venus (edited 11-21-2000).]

njwgood
11-20-2000, 04:20 PM
please post that wine and mushroom sauce recipe. I'd love to make it!
thanks, nancy

lanie
11-20-2000, 04:39 PM
Andi and Beth - I have to agree - that Cranberry Loaf is soooo good - just made it today - excellent!

Denise
11-20-2000, 05:29 PM
I would have to say the Blueberry Lemon poundcake and the BBQ Pork Chops! Also the Cinnamon Aple Cake. Wow! You guys have really given me some winners. I almost forgot the Jamaican Banana Bread! I kept thinking coconut? Yuck... Needless to say I ate half the loaf the first morning!

Ohioan
11-20-2000, 05:53 PM
Ooo, yes, venus, I have to add my vote to yours for Ed's Red Wine and Mushroom Sauce. That was truly superb.

The trouble is that there have been too many delicious recipes here; it's almost impossible to choose one in particular. Keep 'em coming, ladies and gents! (Or youse guys, yizz, or y'all, for the purists among us.)

Cheers, Phoebe

Susan
11-21-2000, 08:45 AM
Okay, I must say that I probably would never have tried the Sweet Potato Pankcakes from the March 2000 issue of CL if it hadn't been recommended on the bboard. My toddler LOVES them and so do I! These are the best!

Two bboard faves:
Andi's Mom's Cranberry bread
Beth's Not Really King Ranch Chicken

I just made 8 mini loaves of the cranberry bread that I gave away to friends. YUM! Beth's Not Really King Ranch Chicken has become a staple at my house too.

Keep those recommendations coming everyone! http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/biggrin.gif

~~Susan~~

venus
11-21-2000, 10:47 AM
Here it is Nancy. BTW, this is also excellent on mashed potatoes, and can be made without the beef broth.

This is from Ed's original post under "Cooking Filet Mignon"

Below is a recipe I copied from Cooking Light for some Port Wine Mushroom Sauce that goes real well with Steak. (in fact it goes good with hamburgers too) I don't remember what issue it was from.

I like this sauce and all that have had it here think it's just fine and I have passed the recipe on to some who have asked for it.

I should also tell you that I usually double it even if it's just for the 2 of us.

Port Wine Mushroom Sauce

1 1/2 cups sliced shittake mushroom caps
1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
1/3 cup port or other sweet red wine
1/4 cup minced shallots
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinagar
1 cup beef broth
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1/8 teaspoon dried Rosemary
1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
Note: Mushrooms 1 1/2 cups = 3 1/2 oz
(I use any kind of fresh mushrooms I have available and they taste just fine to me.)

1.) Combine mushrooms and flour in a bowl, and toss well.
2.) combine wine, shallots, and vinegar in a medium skillet. bring to a boil; cook until thick, reducing liquid, by cooking about 3 minutes until thick and syrupy.
3.) reduce heat to medium. Add broth, worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and Rosemary; cook 1 minute.
4.) Add mushroom mixture; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. stir in Mustard.

Yield: 1 cup ( serving size 1/4 cup.)
This deeply flavored brown sauce is reminiscent of the classic bordelaise sauce but made
in a fraction of the time. It's virtually fat free, another plus.
Try it with Beef, Lamb, Venison, or Pork.
The Mushrooms are tossed with flour which helps thicken the sauce. Stick with Port wine
if possible otherwise use Red grape juice, it won't change the flavor.

If you try this sauce I'm sure you'll like it.

Ed

Susan
11-21-2000, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Cyn:
Will someone post the recipes or links to spaghetti pie and raspberry balsamic vinergarette, oh and andi's mom's cranberry bread? Or point us salavating readers in the right direction?

Thank you

Here's the cranberry bread: http://www.cookinglight.com/bbs/Forum1/HTML/002559.html

spaghetti pie:

Spaghetti Pie

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: May 2000 PAGE: 160

INGREDIENTS FOR 6 SERVINGS:
1 pound ground round
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce with garlic
1-1/2 cups low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
4 cups hot cooked spaghetti (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
Cooking spray
1-1/3 cups (about 5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese

INSTRUCTIONS:
Though it's really a deep-dish casserole, many Midwesterners lovingly refer to
this recipe as Spaghetti Pie. You can substitute plain tomato sauce and add
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, if desired.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cook meat in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned,
stirring to crumble. Drain well, and return meat to pan. Stir in salt, pepper,
and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Combine the sour cream, green onions, and cream cheese in a small bowl, and
set aside. Place the spaghetti noodles in a 2-quart casserole dish coated with
cooking spray. Spread the sour cream mixture over spaghetti noodles. Top with
meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for
25 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Yield: 6 servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 408 (30% from fat); FAT 13.7g (sat 7.3g, mono 4.2g, poly 0.8g);
PROTEIN 28.4g; CARB 39.9g; FIBER 2.9g; CHOL 67mg; IRON 3.4mg; SODIUM 849mg;
CALC 376mg

[This message has been edited by Susan (edited 11-21-2000).]

Cyn
11-21-2000, 11:52 PM
Will someone post the recipes or links to spaghetti pie and raspberry balsamic vinergarette, oh and andi's mom's cranberry bread? Or point us salavating readers in the right direction?

Thank you

RUSTYSMOM
11-29-2000, 06:46 PM
Any more thoughts on this one? I know there are more undiscovered (by me) great items out there...