PDA

View Full Version : Please help with 1/2 & 1/2 vs. heavy cream?

Jeanne G
09-21-2002, 07:56 PM
Can I beat (substitute) 1/2 & 1/2 to basically turn out the same as heavy cream as described in this recipe:

"beat cream with salt until it holds soft peaks"

I don't do much with either heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2. But, I did buy 1/2 and 1/2 thinking it would be ok, now I don't know. I will be doing this on Sunday for my dinner party.

Thank you!!! :D

jjsooner73
09-21-2002, 08:15 PM
No, you need cream.

I was recently trying to make a whipped cream topping for banana pudding, and used half and half. I beat and beat and it never thickened, then I realized why! Oops.

Canice
09-21-2002, 08:16 PM
No, I'm afraid it won't whip up.
But you can serve it up with coffee if you're offering that with the dessert!

krispy spo
09-21-2002, 08:29 PM
Half and half only has 10% butterfat, but the heavy cream has 36%. I think that has something to do with it. If you want to lighten the recipe a little bit you could use regular whipping cream (30% butterfat) and it would probably be okay.

wallycat
09-21-2002, 08:56 PM
I've never tried this, but found this info on a website:

Evaporated milk can also be whipped like whipping cream, if it is partially frozen before beating. (Chilling the beaters and bowl helps, too.) It takes a little longer than whipping cream but it will whip up into peaks.

Jeanne G
09-22-2002, 09:28 AM
Thanks guys, I just got back from the grocery with heavy whipping cream! I hope the recipe turns out good, it's actually the topping for a Roasted Butternut Lasagne. Seems different, but it got good reviews and it sure smelled good last night when I was making the filling.

Thanks again!