PDA

View Full Version : Mastercook Question...What Does This Mean?

HejazSunKat
09-27-2002, 03:31 AM
Anybody know what this means?

MasterCook assumes an average 'whole' size of this ingredient.

I often get this (preceded by an ingredient name) under the 'Nutrition' tab and I'm sure it's wacking out the nutritional values of the recipes I'm importing in there. I'm just not sure what to do about it. Also, has anybody come up with a way to back up your recipe database in MC? It doesn't seem to have a function within the program...:confused:

TIA

gperls
09-27-2002, 05:29 AM
Usually, when your recipe doesn't specify a quantity of an ingredient, like 1 carrot, you get this message. It basically says it is using some kind of average values for a whole one of whatever the ingredient is.

If you want more specificity in the nutritional analysis, try entering a weight or volume in the quantity column.

lhall
09-27-2002, 06:05 AM
Linda,

You can back it up. I've only done it once. I THINK you go to the master list and just save 'My Cookbook' and just choose the drive you want as your save to location.

Sorry, I'm at work so I can't open the program for better directions.

If no one else has a better answer I'll check while I'm waiting for the alarm guy later this AM.

Leigh

gertdog
09-27-2002, 07:05 AM
Here is what I found in the help file of MasterCook 6.0. I had better start backing up my files too! I don't know what I'd do if I lost them. :eek:

"Itís important to create a back up of your cookbook. You donít want to lose all the information if your computer has a hard disk crash or similar problem. It only takes a minute to make a backup and itís definitely worth your time.

Using Windows Explorer you can copy your Collection folders to another location on your hard disk to back them up. If you have edited print designs, shopping lists, ingredients, and so forth, you also want to back up the MC Tools folder.

Be sure to back up the following files regularly, especially when you are about to uninstall or install another MasterCook product:

In the Collection Folders:
∑ *.pln - meal plans
∑ *.mnu - menus
∑ *.MC2 - cookbooks
∑ *.MCX - picture files

In the MC Tools folder:

∑ *.mcd files - print designs
∑ *.sl - shopping lists
∑ *.pl - pantry
∑ *.el - substitutes and equivalents
∑ MC Ingredients.ing - ingredient file (if you edited it)
∑ MC Prep Methods.mtd - prep list
∑ MC Alt Sources.mtd - alternate source labels
∑ MC Wine List.wl - wine list

To back up your MasterCook files:

Note: These instructions assume you are saving files to the directories setup by the program.

1. Exit MasterCook, or minimize it.
2. Click START on the Windows task bar and point to Programs.
3. Find the Windows Explorer and click it to open it.
4. Locate the MasterCook Deluxe folder and double-click it to see the files.
5. Select both the My Collection folder and the MC Tools folders and copy them to a different location.

Because these folders may be too large for a single disk you can open them and copy the individual files. However, if you have a zip drive you can copy them all as instructed onto a zip disk.

© 2002 ValuSoft Inc. All Rights Reserved."

I don't think you should be too bothered by the "average whole size" thing. It just means that it has nutrition information for 1 carrot in memory. Your carrot may be a bit larger or a bit smaller, but unless your recipe specifies, say, "6 ounces" of carrots, MasterCook just has to assume that your carrot is close to an average size. It may impact your nutritional info by a few calories, but nothing major.

Stephanie

HejazSunKat
09-27-2002, 07:31 AM
Well, I think I've got the backup part of my question under control. I managed to find some directions in the MC Help files on backing up cookbooks. You're supposed to backup *.MC2 files (which are your cookbook (s)) and MCTools files so I've added those to my daily backup on my Zip drive. Of course I wouldn't know if this is all I need unless my computer actually crashes and I have to re-install the blasted thing.

As for the mysterious nutrition warning thing...I tried making sure there was both an amount, a recognizable (to the program) unit and a recognizable ingredient and I still get these messages. Odd. :confused:

Thanks for the suggestions anyway. I do appreciate it!

HejazSunKat
09-27-2002, 07:34 AM
We must have been posting at the same time Stephanie! I found these too finally. Thanks :D

valchemist
09-27-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by HejazSunKat

As for the mysterious nutrition warning thing...I tried making sure there was both an amount, a recognizable (to the program) unit and a recognizable ingredient and I still get these messages. Odd. :confused:

Linda,

I have noticed that too. It happens for sour cream and flour sometimes (and other things too). And I do include the recognizable amounts, measures, etc. Strange!

Val

Curleytop
09-27-2002, 10:34 AM
My suggestion is to backup your files on a different medium (zip or cd or even a floppy).
If you get a crash or a virus, you will have to reformat your hard disk (loose all the information on your hd) and install all your programs again. I always backup my recipes once a month on a zip!
Have had to reinstall my mc when I had to reformat!