PDA

View Full Version : What kind of sauce should I use on these pastas?

Jasmine-Rose
09-30-2002, 11:58 AM
Sweetheart surprised me yesterday with three kinds of pasta from a gourmet shop he passed by. I have Pumpkin Spice Tortellini, Porcini Mushroom Ravioli and Black Truffle Ravioli :D . He is so good to me!

Now the dilemma: None of these seems to call for a red sauce and I'm not sure what to do with them. I'm really looking forward to tasting them all, particularly the truffle one. Can anyone suggest a good way to serve them?

Many thanks :) .

wallycat
09-30-2002, 12:12 PM
WOW, lucky gal!!
here's what I'd do...
the pumpkin ravioli, I'd probably do some sort of cream sauce.
for the truffle, I'd do plain olive oil/garlic
the porcini mushroom, I'd either do a very light tomato sauce (not a traditional, heavy red sauce) or I'd do another cream sauce

I'll go surfing for some recipes to post back :D

jjsooner73
09-30-2002, 12:22 PM
I agree w/ Wallycat--a cream sauce definitely would go with the pumpkin ravioli.
Another suggestion for the porcini is a pink sauce--a red sause mixed with a cream sauce.
I can't help you on the truffle, as that's something I'm not familiar with.

What a sweetheart you have! THat is awesome.
You'll have to let us know how they turn out.

gertdog
09-30-2002, 12:31 PM
Here is a link to a thread where I posted a rather different sauce for pumpkin ravioli, and I bet it would be good with the tortellini too.

pumpkin ravioli with no-cook red pepper sauce (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23329&highlight=pumpkin+ravioli+red+pepper)

Cream sauce would be good, or how about butter with sage and garlic? Mmmmm.

I need to go get some pumpkin ravioli!!

jena_lockwood
09-30-2002, 12:32 PM
For the pumpkin tortellini you may also want to do this:

In a skillet, brown about a tablespoon of butter, then add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add a few fresh sage leaves and saute until crisp. Meanwhile, cook and drain the pasta. Put the pasta on a platter or individual plates and sprinkle with fresh grated parmeggiano reggiano. Pour the butter mixture over the pasta and serve.

yum! sage goes really well with pumpkin.

for the truffle pasta, I agree with a simple olive oil, garlic, & of course fresh parm.

for the porcini, you may want to try a walnut cream sauce or even a gorgonzola sauce. I don't have a recipe with me now, but if you want it I can post it later tonight when I get home. The walnut sauce also might work with the pumpkin too.

-jena

jena_lockwood
09-30-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by gertdog
or how about butter with sage and garlic? Mmmmm.

Looks like Stephanie and I were posting at the same time, and on the same wavelength!

-j

chefbecky
09-30-2002, 12:42 PM
I just bought some of Trader Joe's pumpkin ravioli this weekend, and I am making it tonight. Here's what I generally do for a sauce:

Mix canned pumpkin or pumpkin butter with a few tablespoons of fat-free half and half. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally. (I just eyeball it, as far as amounts. Just enough half and half to make it a nice consistency.) Add a few sprinkles of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Remove from heat and stir in minced fresh sage. Pour over pasta.

This is my absolutely favorite way to serve the pumpkin ravioli.

cori44
09-30-2002, 01:05 PM
Another vote for a olive oil and sage sauce. it's perfect for pumpkin.

Jasmine-Rose
09-30-2002, 04:57 PM
I appreciate all the replies. I have some leftovers in the refrigerator that I have to use up tonight, but tomorrow evening I'll be having Black Truffle Ravioli. The others will follow using various recommendations from all of you. I'll report back with the results.

As for Sweetheart, yes - he is a treasure and I am very lucky :D .

CompassRose
09-30-2002, 05:30 PM
Here's another suggestion: Ligurian Walnut Sauce. This is delicious.

For 2 cups:

3/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups low-fat milk
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 clove garlic, crushed
1-2 tsp fresh marjoram (1/2 tsp dried)
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
2T grated Parmesan
salt to taste

Heat a heavy skillet over high heat. Add the walnuts, and reduce heat to medium. Toast the walnuts, stirring often and watching carefully, until they just begin to darken and smell toasty. Remove from pan. Place the toasted nuts in a mini chopper, electric spice grinder or food processor, and process them to crumbs.

Combine milk, broth cube, garlic and walnuts in a heavy medium saucepan, and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Keep at a low boil until reduced somewhat and thickened to a sauce consistency. Remove from heat and add marjoram, nutmeg and Parmesan. Taste for salt. Heat gently before serving.

(From Nonna's Italian Kitchen, Bryanna Clark Grogan. She uses soymilk and vegan Parmesan, of course. She says, "This is a modern, lighter version of a very ancient Ligurian sauce to serve on flat pasta... or stuffed pasta. Very simple to make! Traditionally, pepper is not used in this sauce.")

Jasmine-Rose
09-30-2002, 07:14 PM
CompassRose, that looks delicious! I'm definitely going to try it - I've been wanting to find some more sauce recipes to use as alternatives to my standard red sauces.

Many thanks!

laughsandlaughs
10-02-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by jena_lockwood
For the pumpkin tortellini you may also want to do this:

In a skillet, brown about a tablespoon of butter, then add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add a few fresh sage leaves and saute until crisp. Meanwhile, cook and drain the pasta. Put the pasta on a platter or individual plates and sprinkle with fresh grated parmeggiano reggiano. Pour the butter mixture over the pasta and serve.

yum! sage goes really well with pumpkin.

for the truffle pasta, I agree with a simple olive oil, garlic, & of course fresh parm.

for the porcini, you may want to try a walnut cream sauce or even a gorgonzola sauce. I don't have a recipe with me now, but if you want it I can post it later tonight when I get home. The walnut sauce also might work with the pumpkin too.

-jena

Jena, we must have very similar tastes, as your suggestions are exactly the same as mine would have been. :)