PDA

View Full Version : why do my baking pans warp??

lilymaid
10-04-2002, 11:34 AM
Problem: All of my jelly roll pans are warped and I can't figure out why.

Just this morning I put a brand new pan in the oven, it let out a huge popping noise and one side raised off the rack a good 2 inches. Even if the warp goes down a little, it never goes back to normal. I'm afraid of cooking some things unevenly, but don't know how to control this problem. Does anybody experience this and better yet, does anybody know why this happens and how I can prevent it?

Terrytx
10-04-2002, 11:56 AM
I don't know the why or how, but yes, it happens to me all the time, so you aren't the only one.

Shirley Ekstein
10-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Answer's simple, Lily - the baking pan is too thin. Buy really good thick ones (i.e. - expensive ones, I'm afraid) and they won't bend in the oven. On the plus side, they'll last you a lifetime.

funnybone
10-04-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Shirley Ekstein
Answer's simple, Lily - the baking pan is too thin. Buy really good thick ones (i.e. - expensive ones, I'm afraid) and they won't bend in the oven. On the plus side, they'll last you a lifetime.

Actually, they aren't that expensive either. I have 4 and I think I paid $12.99 for a 2 pack at Costco. These sheet pans do now warp.

brykate
10-04-2002, 04:34 PM
Ooh! I'm there! I'm sick of the warped jelly roll pan, cookie sheets, and even muffen tins!! I think I have good stuff too - but this thiner, not so good stuff, has got to go!
Thanks for the question and for the tip too! :)

JaneStarr
10-04-2002, 04:54 PM
I Used to have that problem until...
I bought a 3-pack of heavy duty half-sheet pans at BJ's Club for about $12.99. I actually bought them in order to fit my Silpat but was pleasantly surprised that they don't warp.
Jane

jewel1
10-04-2002, 06:42 PM
It can also be your oven. If it heats unevenly you can get the warping problem. A neighbor of mine had serious issues with this until he lined the bottom of his oven with tiles (like you use for bread or pizza). The oven now heats evenly and no more warped pans!

Kristin35
10-09-2002, 01:26 PM
A lot of times pans, etc, get warped because people put them into the sink and run cold water over them when they are still hot. You always have to let pans cool before putting them into cold water. I don't know if that was maybe your problem, but just wanted to let you know :)

SusanT
10-09-2002, 01:56 PM
I buy half-sheet pans from a restaurant supply store for about $4.50 a piece. (It's a tip I got from Alton Brown.) I've roasted, broiled, and baked on them with no warping problems.

julia
10-09-2002, 02:08 PM
If you have a restaurant supply store in your area check them out. I bought heavy duty aluminum baking sheets for $9.50 each (CDN). If I ever need anything for the kitchen I check the restaurant supply place first, better quality and better prices than the regular kitchen stores.