PDA

View Full Version : Help! My pizza dough won't stay rolled out!!!!??

Beth Y
10-21-2002, 09:29 PM
What am I doing wrong. I make pizza dough. It seems to be kneaded plenty, rises greats, etc....but when I put it on the parchment paper, or cornmeal covered board (I've tried both), it just won't stay flatten out. I start fromt the center, pushing out and it springs back in, pulling the paper with it! The first couple times I did this, it worked fine, so I thought it was the humidity this summer. But is is dry today and did it again. I am able to make a pizza that tastes great, but looks terrible and the crust is very inconsistent in its thickness. Help!!

LaraW
10-21-2002, 09:44 PM
Are you letting it rest after it rises and you punch it down? I've had the same problem and have found that if I let it sit for 5-10 min after I punch it down, I get much better results with rolling it out.

Kjente2
10-21-2002, 10:12 PM
What Lara said, the dough needs a rest after its punched down.

Cathy
10-22-2002, 10:07 PM
I've had the same problem! Thanks for posting the question and thanks for the simple answers too!

Beth Y
10-22-2002, 10:07 PM
Hmmmm. I can't say that I intentionally let it rest, but I usually punch it down right after I take it out and then take a while to get the rest of the stuff ready to make pizza. I will make sure I let it "rest" next time.

Robyncz
10-22-2002, 10:32 PM
I also think resting is the key. We usually make enough dough for two pizzas and at some point I realized that I was always struggling rolling out the first crust, but the second one always came out fine. I finally caught on and let the dough rest for a good 10 minutes before rolling. It makes a huge difference!

DH and I have a method, though, for especially elastic dough. One of us rolls and the other holds the dough and turns it. It's kind of funny to watch, but it works.

Chiffonade
10-23-2002, 05:34 AM
I use a dough recipe by the Frugal Gourmet that calls for corn meal in the dough. I can press it out into the pan (or on the pizza peel to be shoved onto a pizza stone) and it doesn't retract.

If you want to use a dough that's really springy, resting it is the only way to use it so it doesn't retract. The gluten has to relax.

dixie
10-23-2002, 06:56 AM
Beth, thanks for the question! I quit making dough because mine would always just jump back into a lump...never stay flat. I just figured it was something I didn't have the knack for....I'm going to try it again this weekend and let it rest.

JaneStarr
10-23-2002, 07:01 AM
I've actually been wondering if that Lora Brody's Dough Relaxer (sold at Wm's Sonoma and also King Arthur flour, I think) would help with this. I've always balked at paying the price for it since it doesn't seem "necessary". Perhaps it would be worth trying. I like my pizza crusts very thin.

I just searched the KA online catalog and found this:

http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/htmlos.cgi/15101.3.586700361164436596
"Hey -- relax! That's what your yeast dough will do if it includes Lora Brody Dough Relaxer(tm), a combination of all-natural gluten-relaxing ingredients. Add a few tablespoons to your favorite braid, pizza, sticky bun, dinner roll, challah, or other shaped dough (pie crust, too), and see the difference: no more fighting back! In 10-oz canister." $9.95

Jane

JaneStarr
10-23-2002, 07:05 AM
I found this info by doing a google search:
From Lora Brody herself at:
http://www.lorabrody.com/asklora.html
"My Dough Relaxer (affectionately known as Do-Zac) puts an end to doughs that fight back and bake tough. Rolling out pizza dough no longer has to be an Olympic sport. Adding a few tablespoons of the all-natural Relaxer to a favorite recipe results in paper thin pizza crust, tender, flaky pie crust, light-as-a-cloud pancakes and waffles and ethereal biscuits.

These three products are nationally available in supermarkets, healthfood stores and gourmet stores as well as here on my web site. You can also find them in the King Arthur Flour Baker's Catalogue."

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=104796

"Ingredients: Non-fat dry milk, diastatic malt, natural sourdough concentrate, baking powder and canola oil (anti-caking agent)."

"Put an end to dough that fights back! This all natural baker's formula tames and tenderizes the toughest dough. Add it to your favorite pizza, sticky bun, breadstick, dinner roll, challah, brioche, croissant or other shaped or rolled doughs and be amazed at the difference. Your pie crust will thank you and your biscuits, pancakes and waffles will float off the plate. For yeasted doughs, simply add one gently rounded tablespoon per cup of flour to dry ingredients and yeast. For pie crusts, biscuits, rolled cookies, pancakes and waffle batters, add one teaspoon per cup of flour to dry ingredients. Net weight 10 oz. Enough for 10 - 20 applications."

honeygirl1971
10-23-2002, 11:32 AM
I have sometimes had this problem with pizza dough too (other times I guess I let it rest inadvertently), and now I know why. Thanks for the useful tip!:)

Gracie
10-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Jane I used Lora Brody's Dough Relaxer all the time until I ran out once and made dough anyway. I have to tell you that when I didn't use it, I really couldn't tell. I'm not sure that it makes that much difference. Resting the dough works just fine.

Chiffonade - can you please post the Frugal Gourmet's dough recipe?

Thanks!

Loren

beckms
10-24-2002, 08:10 AM
This is the recipe I use almost every week, and I've never had a single problem. I stretch my dough, I don't roll it. It actually never occurred to me to roll it...don't know why! Mine rises twice for an hour each time. It's never been too springy. I've also used this recipe with half WW flour, and it's tasty!

Good luck!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beck's Pizza Dough

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry yeast -- (about 1/2 package)
3/4 cup warm water -- (105-115)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
cooking spray

Dissolve sugar and yeast in water in a small bowl, let stand 5 minutes or until activated.

Combine 2 cups flour, oil, and salt in food processor (use dough blade).

Process dough while slowly adding yeast mixture until it forms a soft ball. Continue to knead, adding flour by the tablespoon if necessary, until dough is smooth and elastic. Finished dough should not be sticky.

Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap or a damp towl.

Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch down, cover, and let rise again until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).

Shape dough, top, and bake according to cooking directions.

Description:
"Makes 2 9-in crusts, or 4 small calzones"
Source:
"adapted from CL"

NOTES : For pizzas and calzones, bake at 400. Brush with olive oil for even browning.
:cool:

honeygirl1971
10-24-2002, 10:25 AM
I think the Frugal Gourmet recipe is on Gail's Pizza Poll thread:http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=313398#post313398

but it has 1/2 cup of oil in it. That seems like a lot! The recipe I use has only 1 or 2 teaspoons of oil.

:confused: