PDA

View Full Version : Grits Question?

Ali
10-28-2002, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know if quick grits are the same as regular grits? I found a salmon and grits recipes from the CL website and I am not sure which type of grits to use. Thanks

RebeccaT
10-28-2002, 02:01 PM
Most of the grits you see in the grocery are either quick or instant. I think that you should be fine with quick grits.

Sounds good - what's the name of the recipe?

Ali
10-28-2002, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. The recipe comes from the cooking light website. It is for Broiled Salmon Over Parmesan Grits, but I am substituting shrimp for the salmon.

JHolcomb
10-28-2002, 02:08 PM
I don't think the flavor of quick grits is nearly as good as the flavor of regular grits, but if you can't find regular ones, quick grits will work ok.

Little Bit
10-28-2002, 02:10 PM
I think 'quick' grits are pretty much just 'regular' grits, just ground more finely.
(Oatmeal seems to be labeled in similar ways)
I wouldn't substitute 'instant' grits in a recipe, though, they might be ground more finely than you really want for your presentation.

michelern
10-28-2002, 02:23 PM
I have made the Broiled Salmon over Parmesan Grits and my DH and I really enjoyed it. I never really thought of substituting shrimp for the salmon. I bet that would be really good!
Enjoy!

Beth Y
10-29-2002, 08:41 PM
Hmmm. I couldn't imagine using quick grits in place of real grits. It would be like using instant oatmeal in oatmeal cookies...it may work, but the flavor and texture would be totally different. I personally think instant grits are an abomination...sorry. Use real grits, preferably stone ground, for really great flavor.

emptyspool
10-29-2002, 09:08 PM
Whenever I see quick grits vs. real grits, I always think of the movie "My Cousin Vinny" where the determination of the difference practically decides the outcome of the movie.

To a REAL southerner there is nothing but REAL grits. A source for the best grits I have ever had contact Logan Turnpike Mill. I import these Georgia grits. 1-800-84-GRITS. They have unusual hours and no web site that I know of but keep trying. They also make a great cornbread mix...reasonable prices and great gift combos. You actually rinse the bran off these grits before cooking. Don't forget to add some butter and salt at the end.

The best way to serve grits? Grits and any kind of egg with creole sauce.....heaven.

lakelady1
10-30-2002, 05:10 AM
Okay, grits experts, since I'm heading your way in the near future, I really have to ask. What, besides serving with salmon and shrimp a la Ali, am I supposed to do with grits? If we stop at the Waffle House for breakfast and they are on the plate do I add butter, salt and pepper; maple syrup; mix them with the egg; or ? ? ? Does it depend upon the time of day? Mostly I just leave them alone, but I am ready to learn how they gained their reputation for being a staple of the South.

JHolcomb
10-30-2002, 05:55 AM
Sorry Ali, just saw you live in Durham...no excuse for not using real grits :p.

Quick grits DO taste diff't than real ones...it's like using Uncle Bens instead of say, Jasmine rice.

Little Bit
10-30-2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by lakelady1 Okay, grits experts, since I'm heading your way in the near future, I really have to ask. What, besides serving with salmon and shrimp a la Ali, am I supposed to do with grits? If we stop at the Waffle House for breakfast and they are on the plate do I add butter, salt and pepper; maple syrup; mix them with the egg; or ? ? ? Does it depend upon the time of day? Mostly I just leave them alone, but I am ready to learn how they gained their reputation for being a staple of the South.

I'm another "mostly I just leave them alone" grits eater, but yeah, when 'plain' grits are served for breakfast, in a restaurant, say, alongside some bacon and toast, and I'm in the mood to eat them, I add butter, salt and pepper. Dad likes hot sauce, some people mush them together with their eggs, but not in public, mostly.

I've never tried them with sweetener, the way you might flavor oatmeal or cream of wheat, and I can't recall anyone in my family ever doing it, but I couldn't say it's completely unheard of.

Grits, in my experience, are generally served as a savory type dish (peppery, salty, with cheese or ham ...) not as a sweet (sugar, cinnamon ...).
HTH!

RebeccaT
10-30-2002, 08:33 AM
lakelady, if you put sugar or maple syrup in your grits, you will be identified as a Yankee faster than you can say "Kiss my grits!" :D

I love grits with butter, salt, and pepper. I sometimes put shredded cheddar cheese and Tabasco sauce in them as well, and cheese grits are a favorite side dish for dinner at my house, especially with Chicken-Apple Sausage. My brother also adds garlic powder and chopped up bacon (and WAY more cheese than I do!).

Everyone on the board is right about stone ground grits being the way to go, the texture and flavor can't be beat. Calloway Gardens Country Store makes wonderful ones, called "Speckled Heart Grits," and can be found at the website: http://store.callawaygardensstore.com/cgi-bin/wfp60086.storefront

http://63.111.31.120/grphx/products/712937.jpg

However, I will say that for everyday, Jim Dandy Quick Grits do just fine. Yes, there is a difference, but these are good, too.

JHolcomb
10-30-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by RebeccaT
cheese grits are a favorite side dish for dinner at my house, especially with Chicken-Apple Sausage.

This is one of our faves for breakfast or supper. Yum! We always get the Gerhard's sausages. Have you tried the grilled grits recipe from 10/02? Really ,really good!

As for plain grits, I like mine with salt, pepper, and the scrambled egg mushed in.

I've seen my mom mix hers with jelly, but she also mixes her eggs with jelly. "Normal" southerners do not sugar their grits :p ;).

I like Guilford Mills grits best, but in a pinch I'll use Bob's Red Mill (you can get these at WholeFoods), Crook's Corner or whatever they keep in the bulk bins at WholeFoods.

RebeccaT
10-30-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by JHolcomb
Have you tried the grilled grits recipe from 10/02? Really ,really good!

I haven't, but I keep meaning to. There was a similar recipe in the fall of 2001, I think... it had bits of bacon in it, and maybe some green onion.

We get our chicken-apple sausage from Central Market here in Houston. They make it in the store, and it's delicious! Actually, talking about it is making me crave some now! :)