PDA

View Full Version : All you KA mixer owners!!

Tiger
10-29-2002, 08:47 AM
Once again all these threads about KA mixers got me thinking......
I'm trying to decide between these 2 refurbished ones:

Ultra Power 300wt. 4.5qt which is $149
Epicurean 475wt. 6qt which is $220

I'm just thinking is the Epicurean really a lot better or does it just take up more room? Does any one have the smaller one and wish they had the bigger one? TIA

funnybone
10-29-2002, 08:58 AM
I have the Epicurian and love it. It is heavier and taller than the others I believe. However, never have I once even wished I had the smaller one, even though I don't make large batches of anything.

dcornelius
10-29-2002, 08:59 AM
I have a KA I bought at a yard sale for $5.00! Yep, $5.00! I am not sure what kind it is or how much it holds and I only have the regular paddle and the bread hook but hey! Ya can't go wrong with a KA for $5.00!....No, I was wrong, I have the wire whip too...

munchies
10-29-2002, 08:59 AM
I have a smaller KA mixer. While the epicurean is nice (my SIL has one), I'm not sure that I think it's that much nice than the small one. I think the larger one is really nice when making a large batch of mashed potatoes or the like. For baking purposes, the small one does fine for me. I also didn't have much counter space when I got my mixer, so the smaller one was a more logical choice for me.

Let us know what you decide!
Heather

Tiger
10-29-2002, 09:14 AM
Can you make a double batch of cookies in the 4.5 qt?

sneezles
10-29-2002, 09:18 AM
Go for the 6qt. The price is a good one and you'll not be disappointed with the capacity. I love mine and can't believe I waited so long to get one (except the old mixer just took too long to die ;) ).

SandyM
10-29-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Tiger
Can you make a double batch of cookies in the 4.5 qt?

Of course it depends on the cookie recipe itself, but generally, in my experience, no.

I had the 4.5 qt and upgraded to the 6qt, and this was one of the reasons.

I'm sure you'll love whatever you get, though. Good luck!

JHolcomb
10-29-2002, 09:34 AM
If you have the counter space, the money and a family to cook for, go for the bigger one. I have the smaller one and love it---it's perfect for DH and me. The only thing I wish I had was an extra bowl, which I'm asking for for Christmas.

cminmd
10-29-2002, 10:25 AM
Many threads have covered the benefits and draw backs of both the tilt back verses lift up version. I have access to both and found the lift up version messier. I think I would get more use out of another bowl, splash sheild and bowl cover than I would the larger model. Of course, the $5 ka sounds like the best of all worlds!

d_ferrero
10-29-2002, 10:56 AM
I inherited the small one from my late father, and while I occasionally look with longing on the super-powerful epicurean model, I wouldn't trade dad's KA for ten of them. Lots of good memories wrapped up in it I guess. :)

As for double-batch cookies, I just mix up a single batch, twice. With the KA, it's not that much extra work. And I find that when working with additives (chocolate chips, nuts, etc.) my approach distributes the ingredients more evenly than my friends who do a double-batch in the Epicurean.

I suspect if I didn't have emotional attachments to my smaller one, though, I'd be all over the epicurean. :)

/dolores

jphilg
10-29-2002, 11:25 AM
I love my cobalt blue 4.5 KA, but I secretly wish for a larger one. I predict that when my family grows to more than 2, I will splurge and get the Epicurian. Or the Pro, even.

Jen

NJHunt
10-29-2002, 11:27 AM
Actually, $149 sounds like a lot for a refurbished 300 watt KA. They are now UNDER $199 brand new (I think I have seen them for $169-$189).

I have a 300 watt KA and love it. The best thing I did was get an extra bowl.

sararosalie
10-29-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by JHolcomb
The only thing I wish I had was an extra bowl, which I'm asking for for Christmas.

OHMY! I had no idea that the bowl was sold separately! That is exactly what I need (well, that and more kitchen space :p ).

Wohoo! An extra bowl is going on my holiday wish list. I'm so glad you mentioned it!

lhall
10-29-2002, 11:43 AM
I have the 4.5 quart and it's plenty for me.

The only time I got into trouble was last winter when I tried to double the recipe for Cranberry Pumpkin Bread. Naturally, I hadn't read the recipe closely enough and it made 2 full size loaves.:o So I had enough dough/batter for 4 loaves when I was only shooting for two!

An extra bowl would ne nice though!

Leigh

emily
10-29-2002, 12:01 PM
I have the 4.5 quart and while I don't usually actively wish for the 6 qt because I have been able to do everything I need to do in my 4.5, I do have moments when I wish it were larger. I don't think you'd regret going with the 6. If I had to do it over again I'd go with the 6 :)

Emily

MelissaAS
10-29-2002, 12:42 PM
Ditto what was said about cookies- the only time I wish it were bigger is Christmas Cookie season. Then I do multiple "runs". And I LOVE my extra bowl- great investment!!

When I got mine (spring 2000), the 4.5er was around $229 new, just FYI- I didn't know they've come down so much.

Melissa

Beth
10-29-2002, 09:43 PM
I have a 5 qt, so that is a little larger. I have doubled cookie recipes, but would not double most bread recipes. I made multiple cake mixes once -- I think it was 3 (possible, no spills), but if it was, I would stop at 2. Long story ;) :D

I have thought about getting an Epicurean someday, but I read an article in Cooking Pleasures that said the larger mixers are better for larger jobs, but it seems that most folks are happy with what they have.

lorilei
10-30-2002, 07:38 AM
This is SUCH an individual decision.

There are only two of us at my house and I recently upgraded from a 5 qt model to the 6 qt Epicurean. It fits my needs entirely, and I haven't noticed a problem, even for small jobs. I use mine very frequently, and I appreciate the larger capacity (especially for jobs like SCHAUM TORTE, which generally overflowed in my 5 qt).

But many people I know are just as happy to have their 4.5 qts...

In my opinion, having a KITCHENAID (period) is an upgrade from any other mixer, regardless of the size.