PDA

View Full Version : What I cooked in October

JackieO
11-01-2002, 10:49 AM
Warning: Long Post! :D

October was my second month of weekly menu planning. It wasn't as easy as September since we are deeper and busier into the school year, and the meal schedule demands a fair degree of flexibility. That being said, I did manage to try a number of new recipes and I lost a couple lbs in the process. Here are the highlights:

New recipes
WW Cranberry Pumpkin Bars (posted by JeAnne) – Yum! Made these twice. Only two points per bar, and the bar size is very generous. Made them with cherry flavored Craisins. Make sure you freeze promptly – they are moist and can get moldy in a hurry.

Sticky Chicken – CL bb courtesy simmerdown(?). WOW. A hit at our house. Followed the recipe exactly and put the chicken on four crumpled balls of aluminum foil. Used the drippings (strained & defatted) in roasted garlic mashed potatoes and in gravy. Made this a second time and the drippings were a little skimpier and much saltier than before. I think the chicken was smaller, though. Family loved it as much as the first time. Mom made this using Penzey’s Fox Point Seasoning instead of the “sticky” rub and she raved about it.

Italian Beef – CL bb courtesy Linda in MO. More thumbs up. DH and DS thought they died and went to heaven. DH prefers the filling in sandwiches; DS likes it atop lettuce with salsa. Go figure.

Chicken Provencal Supper – CL on-line recipe. This was an interesting dish but nothing special. Easy to prepare and the chicken was moist and flavorful. The sauce was a little odd – canellini beans, peppers and pasta-style tomatoes. Probably a 6 out of 10.

Macadamia butter cookies with dried cranberries – CL Oct. 02. Interesting cookies, crisp, a little on the sweet side, not too nutty. Good, but I prefer JeAnne’s cranberry/pumpkin bars.

Maple Walnut Apple Crisp – CL recipe finder. Really just used this recipe to jazz up my old stand-by apple crisp. To be truthful, I didn’t taste much maple flavor (and I had real Canadian maple syrup) or the pecans (which I subbed for the walnuts).

Crockpot Jambalaya – posted on the CL board, originally from a Rival crockpot instruction book. Very good, very low fat, very generous servings! How can this not be a repeater? Against my better judgment, I followed the recipe and used a can of whole tomatoes (although I used a larger, 28-oz can). And as I expected, they were still whole after cooking on low all day. Next time, two cans of recipe-ready DICED tomatoes! DH loved it and asked that it be “hotter” next time, so think I’ll add in either some jalapenos or red pepper flakes. I love it when DH says, “next time, how about….?”

Turkey Cutlets with Roasted Peppers and Mozzarella – CL Oct. 02. These were good and very simple to prepare. The sauce is what really “makes” the dish, and we thought the leftovers were even better. Served with steamed green beans and spaghetti squash topped with a jarred sauce and Parmesan.

Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper bean dip – something I found on Yahoo! Since I was roasting red peppers for the turkey cutlet dish, I did a few extra and made this bean dip for snacking during the Packers game. I was the only one in the family who liked it, but then, I’m generally the only one in the family who likes bean dip in the first place. The garlic is blended with canellini beans, olive oil and lemon juice; the red peppers are blended with tomato paste and used to make a “swirl” inside the white bean dip, if that makes any sense. Served it with pita crisps and pretzels.

Chicken Pasanda (CL Oct. 02) – We loved it! DH “claimed” the leftovers even before finishing dinner! Anticipating complaints, I served the pineapple on the side, but mixed it into the leftovers. Sure enough, DH told me he had doubts about eating the leftovers when he saw the pineapple mixed in, but ate it anyway and proclaimed it fine.

West African Vegetarian Peanut Soup (CL Oct. 02) – Another winner from the nut butter article! Very simple to make. I waited to add the garbanzo beans until the end, thinking that the soup would be rather thin and I would want to puree a cup or so of it to thicken it up. I wouldn’t have needed to do that, the texture would have been fine without it. But a good, yummy and filling soup. Not too popular with the boys in the house, and by the time I made my way through the leftovers, I was almost sick of it. I’ll make it again, but not anytime soon.

Firehouse Shrimp Salad (Food TV “Cooking Thin” with Kathleen Daelemans) – Saw this recipe being demonstrated while I was working out on the elliptical trainer. It’s just a green salad dressed with a lime/cilantro/cumin vinaigrette – you use half the vinaigrette to marinate the shrimp. Loved it, and it’s fast and simple. I’ll be using the vinaigrette for a lot of different things.

Chicken and Rice with Creamy Herb Sauce (CL April 97 and recently posted on the bb by Klynn(?)) YUMMMM….comfort food at its finest. I wouldn’t exactly call this “light,” though. I think a serving weighs in at 8 WW points. It’s also guaranteed to sabotage my will power, since it generates a leftover half tub of light garlic & herb cream cheese. Perfect for dipping pretzels while watching tv. This will be a “special occasion” recipe – and it’s very easy to make. The chicken seemed kind of tough (recipe directs you to simmer it for 15 minutes.) I think I will “steep” it for 20 minutes in the future.

Repeaters/Old favorites
Tuscan White Bean Soup (The Turkey Store American Classics cookbook) – I really just used this recipe as a base for a low-fat but filling soup using turkey Italians, tomatoes, canellini and garbanzo beans, spinach, basil and orzo. Good for a light weeknight supper with chewy bread and great leftovers for lunch.

Overnight Oatmeal Muffins – CL Aug. 02. Made another batch of these, this time using dates. Just as good as the first time. I make one 12-cup pan of regular sized muffins and I got three,12-count pans of mini-muffins. They freeze well.

Turkey Gyros (CL bb posted by Angela) –This is guaranteed to appear on my list each month. It is so quick and easy, there’s no excuse for not eating at home. Fixed this in less than 20 minutes on a Saturday night when everyone had to be in a different place by 6 p.m. Just brown a package of ground turkey with some chopped onion & garlic, throw on some Penzey’s Greek seasoning and whip up the cucumber/yogurt sauce. Served with feta cheese crumbles, grape tomatoes, Vlasic hot pepper rings and pita wedges.

gertdog
11-01-2002, 11:16 AM
Yay Jackie! Sounds like you had a great month of cooking and eating. It's great to hear that the menu planning is also helping you shed unwanted pounds!

Thanks for the reviews :)

Stephanie

valchemist
11-01-2002, 11:31 AM
Wow, Jackie! Looks like you had a great month!!

Here are my recipes for October. I have reviewed most of them elsewhere. I made a bunch of the nut butter recipes from October 2002. They were fantastic but I made them in September so most don't appear here. They were in last month's thread.

fantastic
Chicken Pasanda CL Oct 2002
Squash Halves with Sausage Spinach Filling posted by JackieO
Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Bars found online somewhere
Grilled Pizza with Pesto, Tomatoes, and Feta Eating Well Summer 2002
Marble Milano Cake King Arthur Newsletter
Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Bon Appetit Oct 2002
Tortilla Soup posted by RebeccaT
Pasta with Roasted and Sauteed Spaghetti Squash posted by Tuff2000
Frosted Pumpkin Cranberry Bars Taste of Home Oct/Nov 2002
French Bread Pizza with Sausage, Clams, and Mushrooms CL 5/99
African Chicken Peanut Soup CL Sept 1999
Walnut Apple Dessert Taste of Home Aug/Sept 2002
Chocolate Amaretto Cake Bon Appetit Oct 2002

really good
Pizza Panzanella Salad CL Sept 2002
Superfast Salisbury Steak Cl Jan/Feb 2001
Caramelized Onion and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes CL Oct 2002
Mexican Ham and Bean Soup CL Oct 2002
Crock Pot Italian Beef posted by Linda in MO
Halloween Party Mix posted by Little Bit and Linda in MO
Spinach Calzones with Blue Cheese CL May 1999
Pork, Beans, and Beer Chili with Chipotles Eating Well Sept 1996
Korean Style Pork Tenderloin CL Sept 2002
Roasted Butternut Squash with Herbes de Provence CL Sept 2002
Walnut Date Pumpkin Pie Taste of Home Oct/Nov 2002
Apple, Sauerkraut, and Cheddar Quesadillas Eating Well Fall 2002
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars posted by YP
Mashed Potatoes with Blue Cheese and Parsley CL Jan/Feb 2001
Slow Cooked Smokies Taste of Home Oct/Nov 2002
Gingersnaps! posted by YP and Muriel

so-so
Date-Nut Pudding Cake CL Oct 2002
Chocolate Chip Graham Bars Taste of Home Oct/Nov 2002
Cajun Oven Fried Chicken CL Oct 2002
Refried Bean and Corn Quesadillas CL may 1995

*special favorites are in blue

Terrytx
11-01-2002, 11:50 AM
Val, looks like you rate them about like I do. It was a very good month.

Excellent:
Smokey Turkey Almond Mole
Baked Potato Soup
Oatmeal Molasses Bread
Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic Butter
Thai Noodles with Peanut Sauce
Grilled Chicken with Whiskey-Ginger Marinade
Creamy Grits with Sweet Corn
Open Faced Turkey Sandwich with Apple and Havarti
Tofu Vegetable Hot Pot
Date-Nut Pudding Cake
Teriyaki Tofu Steaks with Soba Noodles
Dried Pear and Cardamon Scones
Chicken Pasanda
Mexican Ham and Bean Soup
Grilled Grits with Chicken-Apple Sausage
Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Vegetarian West African Soup
Potato-Kale Soup with Gruyere
Apple Cider Cinnamon Cloverleaf Rolls-CL BB-funnybone
Gingerbread-Molasses Pancakes-BA-11/02
Spinach Salad with Apricot Vinaigrette-CLBB-chefbecky

very good:
Butterscotch Apple Pecan Crisp-BB-Tracey67
Thai Chili with Shrimp-CLBB-lovemy beetle
Orange-Ginger Glazed Cornish Hens
Apple Slaw
Caramelized Onion and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
Edamame with Mustard Vinaigrette
Mocha Fudge Brownies

So-so:
Fettuccine with Cashew Cream
Cajun Oven-Fried Chicken
Rise-and-Shine Muffins-CL-recipe finder

Jeanz
11-01-2002, 11:58 AM
As I was out of town most of the time, I didn't do alot of cooking but here is my list anyway!

Favorites:
Potato kale soup w/gruyere - Cl Oct 02
Italian meat loaf w/ basil & provolone - CL Aug 00

So-So:
Chicken w/ 40 cloves of garlic - CL Sept 02

BLAH -
Chicken scallopine - Capital Cuisine

Leisa M
11-01-2002, 02:21 PM
Sticky Chicken – CL bb courtesy simmerdown(?). WOW. A hit at our house. Followed the recipe exactly and put the chicken on four crumpled balls of aluminum foil. Used the drippings (strained & defatted) in roasted garlic mashed potatoes and in gravy. Made this a second time and the drippings were a little skimpier and much saltier than before. I think the chicken was smaller, though. Family loved it as much as the first time. Mom made this using Penzey’s Fox Point Seasoning instead of the “sticky” rub and she raved about it.

You talked about using foil with the Sticky chicken. What did you use the foil for?
crumpled balls of aluminum foil

d_ferrero
11-01-2002, 03:06 PM
Looks like I need to dig out October and reexamine the Chicken Pasanda!

October was a good month... lots of new winners and old favorites. And nothing *really* tanked

Regular Rotation (the 10's):
Apple, Sauerkraut & Cheddar Quesadilla (EW F 02)
Huckleberry Coffee Cake (CL 5 Star)
Prince of Wales Pie (Great American Recipes)
Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Brown Butter (CL 09/01)
Broccoli with Garlic Sauce (Weight Watchers’ Take Out Tonight)
Wild Mushroom Tartlets (FoodTV)
Nobu’s Black Cod with Miso (Martha Stewart, Food TV)
Halibut Fillets with Teriyaki Sauce (CL 10/97)[/COLOR]

Good Enough to Repeat (6-9):
Spinach Mushroom Strata (CL 03/99)
Shrimp Fried Rice (Weight Watchers’ Take Out Tonight)
Junior Mint Brownies (CL 03/99)
Goat Cheese and Spanish Sweet Pepper Dip (MC)
Potato, Kale, & Gruyere Soup (CL 10/02)
Edamame with Mustard Vinaigrette (CL 10/02)[/color]

Okay, but not a repeater (3-5):
Chickpea Spinach Curry (10/02)

Nothing rated a 0-2 (Hit the Trash).

And we dug into the "archives" for quite a few tried-and-true in October:
Spicy Soba Noodles with Chicken in Peanut Sauce (CL 09/00)
Spaghetti Carbonara (Sunset Cookbook)
Mixed Greens with Candied Walnuts and Goat Cheese (Epicurious)
Dom’s Mom’s Meatballs (Eat It, You'll Feel Better)
Jamaican Jerk Pork Tenderloin (CL 05/01)
Lemonade Layer Cake (CL 04/02)
Died & Went to Heaven Chocolate Cake (EW)
Double Salmon Dip (BA)
Roasted Poblano Guacamole with Garlic & Parsley (CL 12/01)
Deviled Eggs (CL 08/01)
Mini Frittatas with Ham & Cheese (CL 12/01)

JackieO
11-01-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Leisa M

You talked about using foil with the Sticky chicken. What did you use the foil for?
crumpled balls of aluminum foil

You place the chicken atop 4-5 crumpled up balls of aluminum foil to keep the chicken out of the drippings. The beauty of this recipe is that you get falling-off-the-bone tender and moist chicken, but you don't have to "fish it out" of a lot of stock. And the drippings are wonderful for mashed potatoes/gravy, etc.

Val, I'm glad the stuffed squash was a hit!

Leisa M
11-01-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks. This recipe sounds like one that I will want to try. I had initially passed over, but I think I will give it a try.

valchemist
11-01-2002, 03:34 PM
dolores,

what is the Prince of Wales Pie?

val

p.s. I think d ferrero is dolores. I am going to be embarrassed if I have the wrong name.

stefania4
11-01-2002, 04:20 PM
I had great luck this month!

EXCELLENT
Granos with Greens (CL 11/02) - I used barley instead of granos, it was wonderful and much less work (and healthier) than risotto
Salmon Croquettes with Fresh Tomato Salsa (Fitness, 10/02) - I left out the raisins (raisins???) and substituted spinach for the pricier arugula
Cheddar & Potato Corn Chowder (Fitness, 11/02) - fiance immediately laid claim to the leftovers for his lunch
Pumpkin Cookies with Orange Glaze (unknown) - sooo good

SO-SO
Cranberry Muffins (archived on CL recipe search) - they were OK, but nothing special... perhaps I had unusally tart cranberries? We liked the muffin part, but decided we'll use a "less hostile berry, like blue" next time.

Carolina68
11-01-2002, 05:34 PM
I didn't do a lot of cooking in October, at least not new recipes.

Excellent
Gingerbread Cake BA
Mexican Ham & Bean Soup CL
Chicken Pasanda CL
Sticky Chicken CLBB
Psycho Chicken CL
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Granola Bars CLBB

Very Good
Baked Potato Soup CL
Died & Went to Heaven Cake Eating Well
Festive Fudge (not sure)
Beef Stoganoff CL

SoSo
Crisp Pecan Cookies CL
Blackberry Upside Down Cake Epicurious
Crockpot Scallopped Potatoes w/Ham SL website

wallycat
11-01-2002, 06:44 PM
I feel so inadequate :o :o :o :rolleyes:

Val, what is the difference between salsbury steak and meatloaf???
(and if you could post the recipe?? ) :eek: ;)

Terry,
where did Grilled Chicken with Whiskey-Ginger Marinade
come from?? is that October CL...I have the issue, guess I should go look :rolleyes: :o

karen w
11-01-2002, 06:47 PM
Stefania4,

If it would not be too much trouble could you post the recipe for the Cheddar Potato Corn Chowder from Fitness? It sounds like just my kind of comfort food.

TIA,

Karen

valchemist
11-01-2002, 06:51 PM
the salisbury steak is kinda like a cross between a meatloaf and a hamburger. it's kinda shaped more like a hamburger, but tastes more like meatloaf. the sauce on this one is really good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Superfast Salisbury Steak

We used a blend of two kinds of ground meats for the patties. The turkey breast brings the total fat down while the ground round adds moistness and flavor. Serve with roasted vegetables, such as potatoes and carrots.

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. Jan/Feb 2001. Page: 118.
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 pound ground turkey breast
3/4 pound ground round
1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 large egg whites
Cooking spray
3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons Madeira wine or dry sherry
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 can (10-1/2-ounce) condensed French onion
soup (such as Campbell's)

Directions.

Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 18 minutes

Combine first 4 ingredients. Divide meat mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 6 minutes or until browned, turning after 3 minutes. Remove patties from pan; keep warm. Stir in water and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; add patties. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until wine mixture is reduced to 3/4 cup (about 10 minutes). Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 patty and 2 tablespoons sauce).

JackieO
11-01-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by stefania4
I had great luck this month!

EXCELLENT

Salmon Croquettes with Fresh Tomato Salsa (Fitness, 10/02) - I left out the raisins (raisins???) and substituted spinach for the pricier arugula

Stefania4: Would you mind posting the recipe? TIA!

And Val....whenever I see the words "Salisbury Steak" my eyes glaze over and I turn the page. My word association with that recipe is "glop" -- not sure if it's based on something scary my mother made when I was a kid or maybe it was some kind of Swanson TV dinner. But this sounds sooooooo good! I knew that the end of DST was probably going to diminish my desire to work out AND to "eat light." My desire to coccoon (okay, that CAN'T be spelled right!)and eat comfort foods has already kicked in.:( It is gloomy, dark and cold here. Any chance you have the nutritional info for Superfast Salisbury Steak? I think the boys in the house will love it.

editing to say: DOH! I didn't notice this was a CL recipe. I have the magazine. NEVER MIND!! But thanks for pointing out this recipe to the bb!

stefania4
11-01-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by karen w
Stefania4,

If it would not be too much trouble could you post the recipe for the Cheddar Potato Corn Chowder from Fitness? It sounds like just my kind of comfort food.I'm happy to! Below is the recipe as it's written, then my adjustments after the asterisks. Let me know how it turns out!

Cheddar & Potato Corn Chowder (full recipe, I split it in half for two people)
1 quart reduced-sodium chicken broth
6 ears corn, shucked, kernels removed, cobs reserved
2 slices bacon
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, finely diced
1 medium carrot, finely diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup white wine
3 medium all purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup (2 ounces) coarsely shredded 50% less fat cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Place broth and corncobs in a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels, finely chop, and set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings. Melt butter in skillet with drippings over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cook 4 minutes, or until golden. Add garlic, cook 1 minute, stirring. Stir in wine; bring to a boil and cook, scraping bottom of pan, for 30 seconds.

Remove cobs from broth and discard cobs. Stir vegetable mixture into broth and add potatoes, thyme, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

In a small cup whisk together flour and milk; add to broth with corn kernels and return to a boil. Cook 1 minute, or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and hot sauce. In a blender puree 1 1/2 cups of the chowder until smooth. Return puree to remaining chowder. Sprinkle with bacon. Makes 6 servings.
Steph's Notes:
1. While boiling the cobs in chicken broth, I also threw in a chicken breast. I shredded it and added it back in after the pureeing.
2. An immersion blender works GREAT for this.
3. I had some lowfat buttermilk to use up, so I ended up using part buttermilk and part 2% milk.
4. Since I don't eat pork I used turkey bacon. It tasted great and is probably lower fat.

JackieO
11-01-2002, 08:46 PM
:( Bumping for the salmon croquettes recipe.....please??

AnnaSue
11-01-2002, 08:58 PM
I finally remembered to keep track of recipes this month.:)

Very Good to Excellent (4-5)
Pasta with Kielbasa and Sauerkraut (BB-posted by Jeanne G)
Pad Thai (Emeril)
Ragu Alla Bolognese with Fettucine (CL 10/02)
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins (BB-posted by Sneezles)
Chicken Thighs with Thyme and Lemon (CL 9/02)
Asiago Pepper Bread (CL Jan/Feb '01)
Hungarian Goulash (Delia Smith Cookbook)
Chunky Chipotle-Chicken Chili (CL 7/00)
Scotch Bars (CL 10/01)
Aw Maw's Potatoes (CL 3/01)
Pizza-Style Meatloaf (CL recipe finder)
Creamed Chicken and Vegetables (BA - posted by Sneezles)
Asian Chicken with Cabbage (CL 10/02)

Not bad, but probably won't repeat (3-3.5)
Low-Fat Albondigas Soup (CL Jan/Feb '01)
Orzo Salad (CL 9/02)

Non-repeaters (less than 3/5)
Chili Mac (CL - not sure what issue)
Spring Seafood Stew (5/02)
Chicken Mole with Green Beans (CL Jan/Feb '01)

Wendy w
11-01-2002, 09:31 PM
Have had a slow cooking month and some of you know how to put one to shame with your productivity.:p

Winners:
Lemonade Cookies (Lorilei)
Spanish Bean Soup (Moosewood Restaurant New Classics)
Hearth Bread (Mochadelsol)
Apple Marzipan Galette (CL 3/02)
Pommes Anna (CL 4/01)

Never again
Coq au Vin (CL Complete)

lhall
11-01-2002, 09:48 PM
Well, I'm missing a week but here goes:

Repeaters:
Cajun Oven Fried Chicken
Pan Fried Sole with Cucumber & Tomato Salsa
Potato Kale Soup with Gruyere
Rosemary Walnut Loaves
Miso Glazed Salmon
Cabbage Gremolata
Gruyere, Arugula & Proscuitto Stuffed Chicken Breast with Carmelized Onion Sauce

Good, but probably won't repeat:
Shrimp with Sweet Pea Sauce
Pork & Pineapple Tacos
Mediterranean Grilled Chicken
Chicken w/40 Cloves of Garlic
Cajun Shrimp

I made a lot of repeat recipes this month as I've been overwhelming DD1 with new food lately.

Leigh

Linda in MO
11-01-2002, 11:11 PM
stefania4, could you please post the recipe for pumpkin cookies with orange glaze? Thanks!!

d_ferrero
11-02-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by valchemist
dolores,

what is the Prince of Wales Pie?

val

p.s. I think d ferrero is dolores. I am going to be embarrassed if I have the wrong name.

Hi Val,

The good news is you got it right... "d_ferrero" is Dolores. :) And be forewarned, the Prince of Wales Pie IS NOT light. It's kind of like (okay exactly like) candy in a pie crust. But my supper club had our "Guilty Pleasures" dinner in October -- where we pretty much threw the whole "light" context out of the window. And this recipe fit the bill. It's one my grandmother made, and it's absolutely sublime!

Prince of Wales Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories :

Pie Shell
1/3 cup shortening
2 tablespoons butter or margarine -- room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons ice water
Pie Filling
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup butter or margarine
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup chopped pecans -- (or walnuts)
1/3 cup golden raisins
3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips

To prepare pie shell: in a bowl, cut shortening and butter into flour and salt and until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle water over mixture. Stir with a fork until moistened. Press into a ball. Chill.

Roll out prepared pastry and fit into an 8 inch pie pan. Pierce all over with a fork. Line with foil or waxed paper. Fill with rice, beans, or pie weights.

Bake shell at 400 F for 15 minutes or until pastry is golden around the edges. Remove foil and bake 5 minutes longer. Remove from oven. Cool.

Combine brown sugar, butter, and sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir constantly for 7 minutes until thick. Watch carefully, as mixture scorches easily.

Remove from heat. Stir in nuts and raisins. Pour into shell. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Wait one minute until they have melted slightly.

With a fork, gently stir and swirl the melted chocolate on top of the pie making a pretty pattern. Chill until firm.

Serve cold or reheat slightly, garnished with rosettes of unsweetened whipped cream and pecan halves, if desired.

Source:
"Great American Recipes"
Copyright:
"1988"
Start to Finish Time:
"0:50"
T(Baking Time):
"0:20"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 305 Calories (kcal); 19g Total Fat; (53% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 33mg Cholesterol; 162mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

valchemist
11-02-2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by d_ferrero

Hi Val,

Prince of Wales Pie IS NOT light. It's kind of like (okay exactly like) candy in a pie crust.

Hmmmm...

candy in a pie crust...

I wonder which BB member has her name all over this.
(hint: her name starts with "V.")

thanks!

stefania4
11-02-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by JackieO

Stefania4: Would you mind posting the recipe? TIA![/SIZE] Sure! I cut the croquettes recipe in half (it's just the two of us and I HATE leftover fish) and it worked out fine. I made a full-size serving of the salsa, though, and used it for enchiladas later in the week.

Sorry this took so long... my fiance is in politics, it's T-minus-four until election day and we had a bunch of events to attend last night!

Salsa
2 large ripe beefsteak tomatoes, seeded, peeled, and diced
3 scallions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp red wine vinegar

Salmon
1 lb fresh salmon fillet, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces, skin removed
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
3/4 cup bread crumbs
3 tbsp golden raisins
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tsp olive oil
6 cups arugula, torn into bite-sized pieces

Tomato Salsa - Combine everything in a bowl. Season with pepper. cover and set aside. (Don't add salt yet ; it pulls flavor from toatoes).

Salmon - Combine all ingredients except oil and arugula in a bowl. Mix well. Form walnut-sized balls (about 16); set aside. In large nonstick frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add balls and cook 4 to 6 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Divide arugula among four plates. Place four balls in center of each and serve with salsa.
As I said earlier, I just can't see raisins with fish so I left them out. Arugula would've been good but it cost 4x as much as the spinach I already had, so I went with the spinach.

stefania4
11-02-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Linda in MO
stefania4, could you please post the recipe for pumpkin cookies with orange glaze?These are cake-y cookies - very filling, and nothing light about them! :blush: They're from Bon Appetit, date unknown...

Pumpkin Spice Cookies

Makes about 4 dozen

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 teaspoon maple extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins

Orange Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
4 teaspoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon orange peel
2 drops orange food coloring (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter heavy large baking sheets. Beat butter, sugars, egg, maple syrup in a large bowl until well-blended. Add pumpkin, orange peel, maple extract, cinnamon and allspice and beat to blend. Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl. Add to pumpkin mixture and beat until just combined. Mix in raisins.

Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies until edges are golden brown and centers are firm to the touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool.

Drizzle Orange Glaze over cookies. Let stand until glaze sets, about 30 minutes.
Enjoy! Since we bring Thanksgiving dinner to a childrens' home every year, I may bring these instead of the regular pie....

Terrytx
11-02-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by wallycat
I feel so inadequate :o :o :o :rolleyes:

Val, what is the difference between salsbury steak and meatloaf???
(and if you could post the recipe?? ) :eek: ;)

Terry,
where did Grilled Chicken with Whiskey-Ginger Marinade
come from?? is that October CL...I have the issue, guess I should go look :rolleyes: :o

YEP-10/02

karen w
11-03-2002, 08:10 PM
Stefania4,

Looks like everyone is keeping you busy posting recipes! Thanks for the soup recipe. It looks delicious, ansd I'm definetely going to try it as soon as I clean out all the leftovers from the fridge!!!

Karen

schuh
11-03-2002, 08:40 PM
You all put me to shame. I can't imagine how much effort it would be to make new recipes so often.

Anyway, I only made four new recipes but they all were repeaters. They were:

Caramelized onion and bacon dip (Cooks Illustrated/CL board). I used leftover caramelized onions from the caramelized onion and goat cheese pizza. This was very good but I’d cut up the onions with kitchen shears first.

Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta (Taste of Home Quick Cooking). Not fancy but my kids and husband liked it so I guess that makes it a keeper.

Chicken Cordon Blue ala Crock Pot. I forgot to put this in the crock pot so I ended up doing it in the oven for an hour. Very easy.

Eating Well’s Died and Went to Heaven Cake – heavenly! I made it with Mexican Chocolate icing (from this board) which was great with it.

valchemist
11-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Tracy,

could I have the Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta recipe? I think DH would like that.

Val

Leisa M
11-04-2002, 11:14 PM
I made several new recipes this October. Now I do't know what they were. They were all recipes I downloaded from the board.

My DH told me tonight to shut down for a while that we need to eat leftovers, then he wants me to cook some of my tried and true recipes for a while. As he put it, "no more new stuff for a while".:D

Linda in MO
11-06-2002, 04:36 PM
stefania, thank you for the pumpkin cookie recipe. I'm definitely going to give them a try soon!

Here are mine from October...

Winners
Kielbasa and Cabbage over Mashed Potatoes (I tweaked it from Jewel's recipe)
ABM Buttermilk Cheese Bread (The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook--subbed cheddar for swiss)
Apple Broccoli Slaw (CL)--loved this and made it twice last month!
Blarney Stone Bread (posted by Terrytx)
Swiss Mushroom Chicken (Taste of Home)
Date Nut Pudding Cake with Vanilla Sauce (CL)
Apple Cranberry Compote (adapted from Bread for Breakfast)
ABM Milk Bread (The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook)
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp (Barefoot Contessa Parties)
Cinnamon Chip Oatmeal Cookies (back of the bag of Hershey's cinnamon chips--added yogurt covered raisins)
Lemon Icing (used on sugar cookies--CL Complete)
Caramel Cream Cheese Icing (for apple cake--HTC--used more cream cheese, less butter, less powdered sugar)
ABM Maple Oatmeal Bread (posted by Terrytx)
Chicken Florentine Casserole (posted by lindrusso--added mushrooms)
Streusel-Topped Pumpkin Muffins (Midwest Living)

Good--may or may not repeat
Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies (back of the craisin bag)
Baked Potato Soup (CL--had to tweak this quite a bit otherwise it would have been way too bland!)
ABM Cottage Cheese Bread (The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook--weird texture)
Greek Pork Roast (Southern Living)
Oatmeal Molasses Bread (CL--very good considering I don't like molasses :o, may try to sub half of the molasses with honey or maple syrup the next time. Also it was super sticky and hard to work with)

Losers
ABM Cinnamon Chip Loaf (King Arthur--for some reason my chips melted into the dough! I'm dying to try this again and add the chips just before shaping into a loaf)
Roast Beef (Cook's Illustrated The Best Recipe--this was NOT the fault of the recipe though. My roast was super tough! :mad: )

valchemist
11-07-2002, 05:59 AM
bumping up for Tracy's bacon cheesburger pasta recipe from TOH Quick Cooking.

valchemist
11-07-2002, 06:11 AM
nevermind. I found it on the TOH BB.

Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta

Recipe By :Melissa Stevens, Elk River, Minnesota
Categories : Main Dishes

8 oz. spiral pasta
1 lb. ground beef
6 bacon strips -- diced
10 3/4 oz. condensed tomato soup -- undiluted
4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese -- 1 cup
Barbecue sauce and prepared mustard -- optional

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Discard drippings. Drain pasta; add to skillet. Add soup, beef and bacon; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook until the cheese is melted. Serve with barbecue sauce and mustard if desired.
Yield: 4-6 servings.

Source:
"2001 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes"

stefania4
11-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Linda in MO
stefania, thank you for the pumpkin cookie recipe. I'm definitely going to give them a try soon!No problem! I don't usually make glazes, so I gave it a whirl this weekend and I think the recipe is incorrect (and I couldn't go back and edit my original post). I think it should be TABLESPOONS of orange juice, not teaspoons, and I found it much easier to work with when I heated it. As the recipe is written, it was more of a paste. The cookies taste fine without the glaze, but I went ahead and glazed about half the cookies (fiance and his sugar fix, don'tchya know...).

Linda in MO
11-07-2002, 09:38 AM
Thanks for letting me know stefania. I'm definitely a glaze/icing kind of person ;), but I don't always measure when making them. I'll probably just squeeze the juice in until it gets to desired consistency.

AmyO26
11-09-2002, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Linda in MO
Here are mine from October...

Losers
ABM Cinnamon Chip Loaf (King Arthur--for some reason my chips melted into the dough! I'm dying to try this again and add the chips just before shaping into a loaf)

This happened to me too...the chips just "melted" into the dough! Even though it did NOT come out as expected, we (me, dh, and my parents and brother)thought that it tasted yummy. It was especially good toasted.
Amy

browneye
11-10-2002, 01:17 PM
I didn't cook a ton of new CL, but anyway, here goes what I did in October: I was really into soup last month, and did several repeaters :D

Excellent:
Tortilla Soup from this BB- Sorry I forgot who posted this.... thanks though :D

Oysters Rockefeller- BA to die for!!!
Cheddar Chicken Chowder -repeater but great as always
Roast Chicken and Root Vegetables with Rosemary Mustard Sauce- Epicurious (made it twice in a month)
Puff Pastry Apple Tarts- BA
Salad of Pears and Shaved Parmesan with Nuts and Truffle oil, from a local chef---YUM!
Black Bean Chili- from CL 5 ingred, 15 minute book
Pheasant with Chanterelles and Herb Dumplings!
Northwest Wild Mushroom Soup- from a local chef. WAY Time consuming but really, really good.
Beef and Bean Burritos- Crock Pot CL (Except I actually used a pork roast instead of beef which worked just fine)

Pretty good:
Pumpkin Cheesecake (I think from BA)
Papardelle Bolognese from BA 9/02 - needed much more spicing and doctoring but turned out okay.
Garlic-Lover's Shrimp from CL superfast supplement
Pecan-Crusted Chicken from CL Complete

I think that's about it... I guess I made more new items than I thought! :D

SallyCC
11-10-2002, 03:31 PM
I am so excited that I actually kept track of my month's recipes!

Here is the verdict on our trials:

Great:
Baked Potato Soup CL
Tomato Basil Tart CL
Cinn-Apple Coffee Cake CLBB
Pasta, Shrimp and Veg pesto-CL
Hearty Lasagna-CL Complete
Crispy Pecan Cookies CL
Carrot Cake Bars-CLBB
Cranberry Scones CL

Good:
Ham and Bean Soup
La Bomba Casserole
Pizza Panzanella Salad
Cheese Enchilada Casserole
Bon Voyage Chicken

pbchipses
11-10-2002, 03:37 PM
Here are my Octobers...

Excellent
Peach Cheesecake w/ Gingersnap Crust- BA 6/02
Chicken w/ Pecan Cream & Mushrooms- CL 10/02
Sun Dried Tomato Dip- Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Toasted Chili Nuts- Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook
Pumpkin Date Loaf w/ Cream Cheese Swirl- CL 12/01

Good
Macadamia Butter Cookies w/ Dried Cranberries- CL 10/02
Dried Pear & Cardamom Scones- CL 10/02
Pasta w/ Roasted Butternut Squash & Shallots- CL 10/01
Pan-Fried Onion Dip- Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Fiery Pumpkin Seeds- How to Cook Everything

Not so good
Chocolate Silk Pie- CL 6/02 I think I made too many subs...
Pumpkin Pie Fudge- CL BB I just don't like butterscotch!

stefania4
11-10-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by SallyCC
I am so excited that I actually kept track of my month's recipes!

Here is the verdict on our trials:

Great:
Crispy Pecan Cookies CL
Are these the cookies from the cookie issue a few months ago? I need to start making some practice batches before Christmas...

grelli2
11-11-2002, 11:45 PM
Valchemist,

Could I have the Pork, Beans, and Beer Chili with Chipotles recipe? All my favorite things together!

Kelli

valchemist
11-12-2002, 06:40 AM
here you go, Kelli. I found I liked the chili even better on the second day. :)

Pork, Beans, and Beer Chili with Chipotles

Recipe By :
Categories : Main Dish Soups and Stews

1 1/2 tbsps canola oil
1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin -- trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2" cubes
salt and pepper
1 lg onion -- diced
2 red bell peppers -- coarsely chopped
2 tbsps tomato paste
3 clove garlic -- minced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chipotle chile canned in adobo -- minced
1 1/2 tsps oregano
12 ozs beer -- preferably mexican
2 15-ounce can pinto beans -- drained and rinsed
1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes -- juice reserved, chopped
2 tbsps fresh lime juice
cilantro -- for garnish

In a Dutch oven, heat 1/2 Tbsp of the oil over high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper and add half of it to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate lined with paper towels; repeat with another 1/2 Tbsp of the oil and the remaining meat. Set aside.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1/2 Tbsp of oil; heat until hot. Add onions and bell peppers; cook, stirring until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chipotles and oregano. Cook, stirring until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Slowly stir in beer, scraping up any brown bits clinging to the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 2 minutes.

Stir in beans, tomatoes and their liquid, and the reserved pork. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pork is tender and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 30 minutes. Add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro.

Source:
"Eating Well, September/October 1996, page 103"
Yield:
"8 c"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nutritional Information:
290 calories, 9 g fat, 30 g protein, 445 mg sodium, 83 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber