PDA

View Full Version : A Question for all you Biscotti Experts

LaraW
11-01-2002, 05:49 PM
I made the Pumpkin Pie Biscotti today and I have a question about what the consistency of the dough should be. When I finally put it on the cookie sheet, it was really sticky and was similar to slightly sticky cookie dough. Is this how it should be? I had a lot of trouble getting the log to be only 3 inches across. I bet it was more like 6 inches at its widest spot. Did I need more flour?

Just wondering. Thanks! :D

Curleytop
11-01-2002, 06:17 PM
I am not familiar with that particular recipe, but the usual way to handle biscotti dough is: You mix it (I usually do mine in a large bowl with a wooden spoon). Then mix with your hand in the bowl until you can dump it out on your wooden board, WHICH HAS BEEN SPRINKLED WITH FLOUR! Then knead it a few times until it holds together, sometimes you have to add a little more flour, or sprinkle with water to get it to the right feel.
Then I cut my dough into 2. Roll it with my hands into a long roll. Cut the roll in half, gently put it on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet, proceed the same way with the other half,then gently pat the rolls to flatten to an even thickness. (4 rolls).
Bake as directed, remove to rack, cool 10 minutes, slice, place on ungreased cookie sheets, and bake as directed. Even though I have a convection oven, I still swap the racks after 10 minutes, turn the biscotti over, and bake another 10 minutes. Remove at once to rack to cool. Hope this helps! Any questions, just ask!

wallingjan1
11-01-2002, 06:46 PM
I thought this dough was a little stickier that usual but the finished product was yummy and that's what really counts. I was just careful to flour my hands often and it made it easier to get it 3 inches.

MKSquared
11-01-2002, 10:21 PM
I kept my hands wet. :) The dough was very sticky and made a pretty fat log on my sheet, too. Tasted okay, though. ;)

LaraW
11-02-2002, 12:03 AM
I don't think I had near enough flour. The consistency was really sticky. I think I added over 5 cups because with 4 cups, it was runny like batter. Hmmm...I wonder if I mis-measured something else that gave it too much liquid.

The end result does taste pretty good, its just a Monster Biscotti. Oh well. Looks aren't everything! ;)

breadmama
11-02-2002, 09:22 PM
I've made this recipe twice this week. The first time, I had monster biscotti, too. I smoothed out the top of the log with wet hands, not floured. I also drizzled melted orange chocolate wafers on them for Halloween, and they were good!

Today, I divided the dough into two logs,and the biscotti were more manageable. I also added 1/2 cup of cinnamon Flavor Bites from King Arthur to half the dough. They were good, too!

I am a fan of whole wheat pastry flour, so I subbed in 3 cups of it. I also cut the oil in half, first replacing it with applesauce, and today replacing it with pumpkin. All of these subs worked well for me...just thought I'd share them with you.

I think biscotti will be high on my list of things to bake for gifts this year!