PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Chicken in the Crockpot - use a "Tyson whole frying chicken"....or

Linda2
11-09-2002, 12:13 PM
Kroger has Tyson whole frying chickens for sale at 59 cents per pound and Perdue Oven Stuffer Whole Roasters (fresh) for sale at 79 cents per pound. I'm sure this will sound like a riduclous chicken questions, but which of the 2 would be best for the crockpot?

Thanks.

JackieO
11-09-2002, 02:35 PM
well, the October issue of CL had a little primer about poultry and said that broiler-fryers are about 7 weeks old and weigh 3-4 lbs and they're good for making stock, but they're not as meaty as roasters. Roasters are 3-5 months old and weigh 4-7 pounds and are good for baking because they have a higher meat-to-bone ratio.

That being said, I bought a Perdue Roaster last week and made sticky chicken with it in the crockpot and it was WONDERFUL!! It was a full 7 lbs and very meaty. Three of us ate the original sticky chicken, the next night I turned it into burritos for the three of us, DH had a chicken "snack" for lunch the next day and there's still a drumstick left. And that's after discarding the wings, because no one in the family likes them!:o

The Perdue Roaster was on sale at the store last week and my Sunday paper had a $2.00 coupon to boot. An excellent value. (Sorta makes up for some of the more outrageous CL recipes I try!)

Hope this helps!

DmOrtega
11-12-2002, 10:56 AM
Hey Linda2; Where are you? We are swap partners and I had emailed you at the begining of the month but haven't heard a word. Are you still interested in the swap?