PDA

View Full Version : Out of Commission Kitchen...

Leanne
11-12-2002, 09:40 AM
OK - I am finally getting a new kitchen!! I'm very excited about it, except for the having to eat out every meal for 1 1/2 months. So what I've thought I'd do is make some freezable food that I can put into individual servings & we'll eat on paper plates/plastic bowls/plastic utensils. We'll have a microwave & a toaster oven. No good sink for washing/rinsing - doing it in the tub/bathroom kind-of grosses me out.

I'm thinking I'll make a lasagna & a pot of chili - I know both freeze well.
Any other suggestions of dishes that make alot of servings, freeze well, and could be heated in a microwave?

Thanks a bunch!!
Leanne

JackieO
11-12-2002, 09:55 AM
Congratulations on your new kitchen!!

We remodeled our kitchen exactly a year ago -- they started the demolition Thanksgiving week and I was back cooking in a wonderful new space four weeks later! I made a few things ahead to store in the freezer, but to be perfectly honest, we did not eat at home as much as planned. The carpenters were really good about trying to contain the dust and such, but there's was still a fair amount of "stuff" floating around and combined with the general upheaval, eating at home was not exactly appetizing.

Simple, no fuss stuff that can be whipped up in the toaster oven or microwave is the way to go. Just accept the fact that you might not be eating as healthfully as you would like, but there are sacrifices involved in getting a new kitchen.

Wanna tell us about your plans for it?? :D

Leanne
11-12-2002, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. I figured we wouldn't be eating at home a ton - but I thought sometimes we would & it will be nice to have the option. I have also offered to bring food & cook for my friends if the will share their kitchens with me. :)

JackieO - About the new kitchen -
Faux slate tile floor (18" tiles with 6" mosaic inserts)
Granite counter tops - a combination of Peacock Gold & St Cecilia.
Maple cabinets stained to look like cherry. All hand-made - they're gorgeous (at least others I've seen of their work are) - they look like furniture. (Plus, they were cheaper than factory made.)
Haven't decied on a backsplash yet (any suggestions...???), other than the same mosaic as the floor inserts being above the sink too.
Stainless appliances. (2 ovens!! An ice maker, & a wine refrigerator.)
Haven't decided on wall paint either - maybe a mustard & cream color faux finish.

I am so ready for it! I've been planning for so long.

funnybone
11-12-2002, 10:20 AM
I have not suggestions - I just want to say Congratulations on the kitchen. You will love the granite! We built our home about 2 1/2 years ago, and now are relocating. I love my present kitchen - it has everything I ever wanted (except for sub-zero fridge, but that's another story), was built by an Amish Cabinetmaker, and is huge. We are not planning on building our new home - hoping to find something new. However, we have agreed that if the kitchen does not have granite, we will rip our the counter and install grantite right away!!! I love it that MUCH!

Oh, one suggestion with the backsplash and not knowing the configuration of your kitchen, is whatever tile you pick, you should have them put on the diagonal, rather than square. We have that now and we love it! It looks much better.

Valerie226
11-12-2002, 11:18 AM
Congrats on your potential new kitchen!
Know nothing about the rest of your lives but... Do you have a barbecue? Do you camp?

DH & I have always lived where "power outs" are fairly common sometimes for days. the barbecue is great even if the weather is not. we have cooked plenty of dinners on camp stoves (white gas) or in our camper(propane). Got a crock pot?? got a George Foreman grill? All those little specialty appliances can give you some variety. I'd wash vegies at an outside faucet or stick to frozen/canned or buy bagged pre washed lettuce. After a month of lasagne no one will ever look at it again!.

w

Leanne
11-12-2002, 11:28 AM
We have a forman grill, a crock pot, a grill, and fondue pots - both electric & alcohol. I plan on keeping them all within reach, but my concern with those things was washing them, but I guess I could wipe them out well with paper towels before washing in a bathroom sink. (still icky to me.) I have looked up crock pot recipes here & I know alot of fondue ones. DH is a great griller. Haven't used the forman grill much - but I know I can find recipes here for that as well.
I'm still thinking I need some quick frozen things.

clairea
11-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Leanne,

Since you are in Atlanta, do you mind if I ask where you are getting your cabinets? We are going to be redoing our kitchen soon and so I am starting to pull all of my sources together.

Thanks,
Claire

Leanne
11-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Claire - I pm'ed you.

JackieO
11-12-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Leanne
I plan on keeping them all within reach, but my concern with those things was washing them, but I guess I could wipe them out well with paper towels before washing in a bathroom sink. (still icky to me.)
And it will be even ickier after you've done it a few times.

KristinK
11-12-2002, 01:22 PM
We're in the same boat. We - OK, my parents, who obviously NEVER want me to leave - are getting an addition and a remodeled kitchen now. Construction started a month ago, and they're getting ready to break into the kitchen next week. We're setting up a mock-kitchen in the basement, and yes, we will be using the bathroom sink down there too. We're stocked up on gadgets - small and large Foreman grill, electric wok, 2 electric skillets, 2 electric burners, plus toaster oven, microwave, crockpot, and outdoor grill.

Just to point out - you might already know this - the recipe index in CL uses little gray dots to indicate which recipes freeze well.

And here are some threads that might help:
ISO Make-ahead freezable recipes (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22490&highlight=freez%2A)
Looking for recipes that freeze well (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13872&highlight=freez%2A)
Cooked chicken breast recipes for freezer (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30394&highlight=freez%2A)
Casseroles you can freeze (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15646.)
What soups freeze well? (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31155&highlight=freez%2A)
Help please, reheating freezer meals (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20178&highlight=freez%2A)

And here's a website:
Freeze Ahead Index (http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredible/indexfreeze.html)

HTH! Like I said, we're in the same boat :)

pes
11-12-2002, 01:50 PM
When we remodeled out kitchen, we bought two plastic camping sinks. we used one for soap water, one for rinse water, and chucked the dirty stuff outside when we were through. You still have to haul water, but at least you aren't doing dishes in your bathtub.

Chirik
11-12-2002, 02:09 PM
I'm in the middle of remodelling my kitchen - I'm doing it myself, but have kinda gotten delayed. I'm almost to the point where I need to tear the sink down, and take out the dishwasher and disposal...

Up until I do this, I've got a functional kitchen, once I start this next step, no kitchen. Not looking forward to it. Still, this part should only take long enough to get the cabinets out, new cabinets in, and a new counter on them.

I hope.

I like the idea of a camp sink - may have to do that. Although, I can cook at a friends place once a week or so, if I want to cook for them, too.

Leanne
11-12-2002, 03:05 PM
The camp sink is a good idea. Maybe I'll just use 2 buckets. The thought really hadn't occured to me before that.