PDA

View Full Version : ISO Gift for a Thirteen Year Old

linsleyd
11-14-2002, 07:10 AM
DH's sister is 13 (fourteen in Feb.)
She is going into the hospital Friday for exploratory surgery (whole long story, but is it really that difficult to figure something out on a thirteen year old?) Well maybe it is but I digress...

I want to send her something but I don't know what. I needs it to be on the internet so that I can order it today. I found a slumber party pack but it's 50 dollars, with shipping and wrapping it would come to over 60. I guess I could spend that but I would rather not:rolleyes: . Any ideas on websites where they sell cute things that a 13 year old would like. Jewlery, crafts, etc would be all good ideas.

Please help! I am at a loss of where to look!:) TIA!

donleyk
11-14-2002, 07:30 AM
I thought this looked cute, although I was thinking about for someone a little younger.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_12/601-7230630-2054551?asin=B000068Z7O

There are two designs, Christmas and Crafts in general.

muriel3002
11-14-2002, 08:05 AM
My dd used to love Delia's . . . www.delias.com

Some of the stuff is a bit adult, but when a girl is 13, she is dreaming of adulthood anyway. There are some neat gift things at that site. I would recommend toe socks (always a hit) with the matching gloves. Some of the necklaces are cool, too! Does she have her own bedroom? Check out "roomware."

Beth Y
11-14-2002, 09:07 AM
A really pretty blank book or diary. I remember at thirteen having a lot running through my head that I wanted to write down.

BeachBum
11-14-2002, 09:41 AM
I second Delias.com Great stuff for teens, and for those of us WAYYYYY to old to be shopping there, the website is great! LOL (It's nice to pick up some super trendy accessories now and then.) :)

mst
11-14-2002, 09:55 AM
This is a little bit different, but if she is staying in the hospital, how about a cookie bouquet? They are really cute, and would cheer up her room, and are more age appropriate than flowers.

If you are looking for something for her to do while recovering, I have seen cute stuff at toy stores. Like, make your own lotions kits, and make your own jewelry kits. I think that the "klutz" brand sells a whole bunch. I even saw a make your own lampshade kit.

linsleyd
11-14-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by BeachBum
I second Delias.com Great stuff for teens, and for those of us WAYYYYY to old to be shopping there, the website is great! LOL (It's nice to pick up some super trendy accessories now and then.) :)

I was thinking the same thing since I am sitting here with a catalog from them that I got yesterday!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, still can't decide!
Anyone else know some neat websites that sell a bunch of different items that I could put together some things?

Anyone?

please?
:)

KristinK
11-14-2002, 10:17 AM
I have a 14 y.o. sister, and I just wanted to add - before you buy her anything crafty, make sure she's into that. I know my sister doesn't consider that kind of stuff "cool" anymore.

I also wanted to add that she loves Delia's too - they have cute clothes and accessories - some that's not too old for them - and also cute stuff for bedrooms.
What about a pair of cute pajamas? Might be good for her hospital stay. My sister has a bunch - flannel, cotton, striped, plaid. For Christmas last year, I bought her a couple pairs of pj pants from Old Navy that are sooo soft, and she wears them all the time.
Or CDs? Justin Timberlake's new album just came out - I bought it for my sister and she really likes it. If your SIL is anything like mine, she might be starting to get boy-crazy too - and those young girls love Justin.

HTH! Good luck :)

lisas3575
11-14-2002, 10:20 AM
I've been wondering what to get my 13 year old niece for Christmas, that slumber party kit looks great! I'm going to make my own so I can choose what goes in there (and hopefully get the cost down). :) Thanks, Linsleyd!

linsleyd
11-14-2002, 10:37 AM
Lisa, I'm glad I helped!:) It is a great idea but I am pressed for time and don't really want to spend that kind of money! Bad SIL! Great idea though, to pick the things out. I might do that for her Christmas present as well!

Krisin,
She is a little different in that she doesn't listen to that kind of music! She's more of a Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, Bob Marley listener. (Too much influence from DH!)
She likes painting so I guess that's what I meant in terms of crafty which isn't crafty at all! I am just at a loss! Maybe some of those pj's from Delias if I can't come up with another idea. Thanks:)

KristinK
11-14-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by linsleyd
Kristin,
She is a little different in that she doesn't listen to that kind of music! She's more of a Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, Bob Marley listener. (Too much influence from DH!)

That made me laugh - my older brother is big into Phish and Grateful Dead, and whenever he comes home and hears her playing her music, he rolls his eyes and teases her sooo badly! But I could never see her listening to that!

navandoren
11-14-2002, 11:20 AM
how about one of those polaroid i-zone cameras with some film? i think now they have "fortune" film - where you take the picture, a fortune appears first, then the fades and picture comes up. on the commercial the fortune was something like "the one you will marry"

http://www.i-zone.com/izone/index.jsp

Gracie
11-14-2002, 11:56 AM
DD just turned 11 and her favorite group is Herman's Hermits! She saw Peter Noone and his group (I just can't call them the Hermits! They're WAY too young) not once, but twice this summer. I really enjoyed the shows, too. Peter was a riot, almost looks the same (no Mick Jagger/Keith Richards "wear and tear") and the singing sounded exactly the same.

Anyway, she's a bit older in her tastes, so I'll tell you what she'd like if it would help. She's into PJ's, diaries/journals, hair clips, scrunchies and stuff (one of her favorite birthday presents was a HAIRBRUSH :rolleyes: ), makeup kits/cases - the kind that come with several eyeshadows and lipglosses - bath beads, ANYTHING from Bath and Body Works. She got a cool hair appliance that has 4 different plates to it - one's a wide crimper, one's a narrow crimper, one's flat (like we needed when we were young instead of ironing our hair) and one is something else. The plates pop out and are interchangeable. It's by Conair.

I guess in summary I'd say anything personal to help her look her best.

Loren

lakelady1
11-14-2002, 11:58 AM
I'm with Beth! I've never known a 13-year-old girl who didn't want to pour out her angst (and being in the hospital certainly entitles her!) onto the blank pages of a journal.

linsleyd
11-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Thank you everyone! I finally went to Amazon and I got her a leather bound journal and the wrinkle in time series. I think she'll really enjoy these choices!

And silly me, I had to open my gold box and what did I find, but a farberware tea kettle for $6.00!

Gotta love that!;) :D