PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article About Food And Marketing

slknight
11-14-2002, 11:04 AM
There's an interesting article in the Boston Globe today about the ways that food is marketed to children as being "fun."

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/318/at_home/Just_say_phooey_to_the_food_fun_link+.shtml

Gracie
11-14-2002, 12:16 PM
I read this today! It just cemented my decision to stay out of McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's that I came to after I read Fast Food Nation. Too bad you can't keep the TV off too (or at least watch without commercials). I was amazed that McDonald's is the highest toy seller. It was written so that I took it as McDonalds was the highest toy seller of all retailers.

Fortunately DD is older now (11) and not so into the Spiderman Fruit Roll ups or what she's going to get in her cereal box.

Although I have to admit that I had a bag of Cracker Jacks last week for the first time in 100 years and I was pysched to see my prize! :rolleyes: No prize, though, maybe because it was a bag, not a box. But I was disappointed!

Loren

Linda in MO
11-14-2002, 01:44 PM
I guess I just don't have a problem with Hot Wheels/Barbies in a happy meal, or M&M's/Snickers ads plastered on the side of a toy truck, or Spiderman cereal, etc. I have more important things to worry about. And I can't even imagine having coversations with my kids about food like they suggested in the article! They sound like they are comments from someone who doesn't have kids. :rolleyes:

''Are you hungry, or does this ad/toy make you think you are?'' ''Do you want Coke because you love your Coke truck, or would lemonade also taste good?''
Linn urges parents to have conversations even with 5-year-olds about toys that are linked to food: ''I don't want to buy you toys that are advertisements for candy. What happens when you run out of the candy? Will you still like the toy? How is this toy going to be more fun than other toys like it?''

Give me a break!! Of course this is just my 2 cents. :o Now having said all that, I draw the line with purple ketchup, blue french fries, and pink margarine! :D My 6 year old thinks all that stuff looks gross anyway.

slknight
11-14-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Linda in MO
And I can't even imagine having coversations with my kids about food like they suggested in the article! They sound like they are comments from someone who doesn't have kids. :rolleyes:

Linda, I don't have kids (yet), but I've got to admit that those do sound like pretty dorky conversations!