PDA

View Full Version : Vegeterian Recipe Needed

Jennie Sytniak
11-15-2002, 01:42 PM
My sisters and I are throwing my mom a suprise party. We are having a deli style meal, but have a few guests coming who are vegaterians or on doctor- ordered low-fat diets. Any suggestions on a vegaterain dish that would go with the deli spread?

gertdog
11-15-2002, 01:55 PM
Well, you could offer some hummus alongside the deli meats so that the vegetarians could make a different kind of sandwich. Or some oven-roasted vegetables, which can be made ahead, are delicious on sandwiches (must have sturdy bread!), and could also work for the friends on lowfat diets.

I have done roasted veggies two ways. Once I did a platter of roasted eggplant slices, strips of zucchini, red and yellow roasted peppers, and caramelized onions. People chose what they wanted to build their sandwiches. The other way is to cut everything into bite-sized chunks, throw in some peeled, halved garlic cloves and some diced tomatoes (or canned diced tomatoes), drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and herbs of choice, and roast until everything is cooked and crusty. I serve that with a slotted spoon. It's great on focaccia bread with some provolone on top... mmm.

When I have done deli spreads, I usually offer a salad or two on the side, and it's easy to find veg. recipes for those. You could do a pasta salad and a bean salad or something like that.

mrswaz
11-15-2002, 01:56 PM
Jennie-
If you go up to "search" and search for threads on Vegetarian meals, or vegetarian appetizers, or side dishes, etc, I'm sure you'll find tons to pick from. Just be sure to select to "search titles only" or you will have way too many responses to sift through.

Grizzly
11-15-2002, 03:33 PM
I just made the hummus spread from the CL website last night. It was quite easy and it turned out really well.
Let me know if you want me to post the recipe and I can, or do a search on the site.

Holly in KC
11-15-2002, 06:36 PM
How about portabello mushrooms sandwiches? Two of my all time favorites:

Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwiches with Sun-Dried Tomato and Goat Cheese Spread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22364&highlight=portabello)

or

Portabello Reubens (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28392&highlight=portabello)

SandyM
11-15-2002, 06:39 PM
No other suggestions, other than <waving>

Hi Neighbor!! :D

Welcome to the boards!

Ohioan
11-15-2002, 06:54 PM
There are lots of great recipes at Veggies Unite! (http://www.vegweb.com/food/).

Welcome aboard!

Cheers, Phoebe

kwormann
11-15-2002, 07:25 PM
Egg salad will be easy to make and store. You could make it with 30% eggs and 70% egg whites to make it healthier. My cousin and I ate egg salad at our last family gathering and we put chipotle hot sauce on it...MMMmmmmmm! I LOVE egg salad.

Jennie Sytniak
11-17-2002, 06:28 PM
:D Thanks for all the ideas folks! We've decided to make the cl humus recipe. I guess my sister eats it often.