PDA

View Full Version : My Food Saver won't "seal" - HELP!!

funnybone
11-22-2002, 08:00 AM
I have the Food Saver 550 and it is not sealing. It's sucking the air out, but just won't seal the darn bag. I even tried to just "seal" one end from a roll, and it wouldn't even do that.

I plan on calling customer service, but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen with their food saver. I've had it for just over a year. :( :confused:

SandyM
11-22-2002, 08:01 AM
Hi Erika,

I've had various problems with my Foodsaver, and after speaking to the customer service reps various times, I've found a few tricks.

Take the rubber tubing off from the bottom part of the sealer, and wipe it off. Then flip it over and pack it back in.

Clean out the "reservoir" in case it may have crumbs or other various food particles.

If it still doesn't work, give Tilia a call. They're slow to respond, but they do follow up. I'm on my 3rd unit (two replacements) :rolleyes: but so far, so good.

funnybone
11-22-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by SandyM
Take the rubber tubing off from the bottom part of the sealer, and wipe it off. Then flip it over and pack it back in.

Clean out the "reservoir" in case it may have crumbs or other various food particles.

Thanks Sandy.

You mean that strip that is on the bottom base part? It comes off?

Everything else is clean and crumb-free, it's not any dirt that is causing it not to work.

I'll go check it out now.

BarbaraL
11-22-2002, 08:15 AM
I got a FoodSaver 2 years ago for Christmas. In about October or November, it started refusing to seal. As you said, it would suck out the air, but wouldn't seal. I'd push the button to manually seal, but obviously something was wrong with the machine. I called FoodSaver customer service, who sent me a shipping label to send it back. They said they'd fix it or replace it. But because it was purchased at Costco, Costco was willing to completely refund the purchase price, so I returned it and bought a new one from Costco -- that way, I didn't have to be without it. Plus, FoodSaver wanted the original receipt, and my husband (who bought it for me) never saves receipts.

The new machine is pickier than the old one was. I have to insert the bag deeper into the machine (I used to seal close to the edge to have more bag to reuse). Every once in a while, especially if I'm reusing a bag, the machine will suck out the air and refuse to seal. Sometimes repositioning the bag fixes it, or recutting the edge for a cleaner edge. A few times, I've just hit the button and manually sealed, but that seems to let a little air in, and the food isn't completely "tight" in the bag.

Anyway, definitely call Customer Service. Good luck!

funnybone
11-22-2002, 08:16 AM
Sandy, it looks like it is the actual "sealing strip" that is not working. The almost transparent strip. I don't think IT comes out. Does it?

funnybone
11-22-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by BarbaraL
I got a FoodSaver 2 years ago for Christmas. In about October or November, it started refusing to seal. As you said, it would suck out the air, but wouldn't seal. I'd push the button to manually seal, but obviously something was wrong with the machine. I called FoodSaver customer service, who sent me a shipping label to send it back. They said they'd fix it or replace it.

Thanks Barbara. I ordered mine from amazon, so I will call customer service.

Shirley Panek
11-22-2002, 08:23 AM
I think that strip on the bottom is actually the part that heats the plastic. You might do an experiment and try to seal something and then place your finger (carefully! it should be hot/warm) on the strip. If it's not, it may be that the heating element is no longer working.

SandyM
11-22-2002, 08:27 AM
The seal I'm talking about is black and goes the entire length of the machine. Perhaps it's on top - it's been a while since I've used it (I sort of fell out of the sealing mode - shhhhh don't tell Jewel! :p ) .

Tilia also sent me a label to return it to them. Like I said, it took a while (a couple of months?), and I got a remanufactured replacement that also didn't work. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy about having a remanufactured machine replace my new machine. They were quick about sending a brand new replacement after I complained about the 2nd machine.

funnybone
11-22-2002, 08:29 AM
Shirley - I think you are right, because it is not hot or warm even.

SandyM - I am lazy about using mine too. I just took out some chicken breasts out of the freezer that were in a ziplock bag :o I use it to store cheese in - but not what we will be eating within the week.

I will call once I get off the computer.

Shirley Panek
11-22-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by funnybone
[b]I will call once I get off the computer.

So that will be sometime tomorrow? ;) :D:D

Just joking! :)

funnybone
11-22-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Shirley Panek

So that will be sometime tomorrow? ;) :D:D

Just joking! :)

LOL

I called and they want $50 (plus s/h) to send back to them. Can you believe that?? I paid $99 for the thing just over a year ago. I just can't see paying 50% and then some, for them to look at it. It's ridiculous!!!! :mad:

Did anyone else pay for them to look at it, or was your repair within the warranty period? I am assuming the warranty is for just one year.

Mamasue
11-22-2002, 10:00 AM
funnybone....my seal does not work either and hasn't been for a few weeks now. I checked everything and the sealing element just does get hot so I called and they sent me the shipment letter plus I have to send $$ just like you were told. I feel the same way and can't see sending $50 and waiting for a month or more for it to come back. I use it (model 1050) every day and would be lost without it. I started out with the 550 one which is just the bag sealer and than about a year and half ago I bought the 1050 which has the jar attachment. The 550 is still running so I took it out of storage (thank God I saved it and didn't give away) and I use that one to seal the bags and the 1050 to use as sealing jars. I am happy with situation right now until the other one breaks down or I purchase a new one.

funnybone
11-22-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Mamasue
funnybone....my seal does not work either and hasn't been for a few weeks now. I checked everything and the sealing element just does get hot so I called and they sent me the shipment letter plus I have to send $$ just like you were told. I feel the same way and can't see sending $50 and waiting for a month or more for it to come back. I use it (model 1050) every day and would be lost without it. I started out with the 550 one which is just the bag sealer and than about a year and half ago I bought the 1050 which has the jar attachment. The 550 is still running so I took it out of storage (thank God I saved it and didn't give away) and I use that one to seal the bags and the 1050 to use as sealing jars. I am happy with situation right now until the other one breaks down or I purchase a new one.

You're lucky you have a replacement. I don't want to spend another $100 + for a new one, but I really don't want to pay the $50 + to fix this one. I think I just might send them a letter and let them know how disappointed I am with the service since the machine is only a year old. Sometimes that gets their attention. :D

SandyM
11-22-2002, 12:08 PM
I didn't have to send money to return mine. Egads. I think it was within the 1-year warranty period.

Shoot - for that price, I'd just go out and buy a new one.

Mamasue
11-22-2002, 12:15 PM
Sandy....My mother didn't have to pay either but that was because she was still within her 1-year warranty. Not only did she get a new one but they sent back her original one repaired. I think that they may have made a mistake there. :) Lucky her!

BTW, I paid $150 for my 1050 on ebay which was a good price, not spectacular but good. Next one will be bought locally. :) Good luck Erika.

emily
11-22-2002, 01:18 PM
I got mine refurbished from eBay and it stopped working within a month, but my problem wasn't the heating element, because I could make new bags. Anyway, I sent mine in without the receipt to Tillia and my turn around time was about a month. I have the 550. Mine has a jar sealer attachment, but I've yet to use it :o The bag sealer though, I use almost every day.

Good luck :)

Emily

swquilts
11-22-2002, 01:25 PM
We killed our first one because we used it constantly! Vapor locked 2 deer, 2 elk and 2 antelope, gave it a workout!

We have since bought the "commercial" one. IMHO, if you use it EVERYDAY constantly invest a bit more moolah and get this one. It has a bag cutter and you can do up to 50 seals without waiting for it to cool down. Its a bigger unit so it will take up more counter space.

BarbaraL
11-22-2002, 01:38 PM
Just in case it was unclear in my earlier post, my FoodSaver broke while still under warranty (I got it for Christmas and it broke the following fall). Maybe that's why Talia didn't ask me for $50.00. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Now it's been almost a year since I bought the second one; I hope that doesn't mean it's about to break!