PDA

View Full Version : How do you get wax off menorahs?

12-11-2002, 01:37 PM
I don't remember what I did last year and my efforts last night were not very effective. I put a wet dish towel in the microwave to heat it up, wrapped the menorah in it, and then rubbed the wax off. Are there any easier ways?

Mandy
12-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Try putting it in the freezer. Let the wax freeze, and it should come off easily in big chunks.

Jasmine-Rose
12-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Heat will only make it worse - cold is definitely the way to go. You'll be amazed!

12-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Ok, into the freezer they go! Thanks.

gertdog
12-11-2002, 02:14 PM
May I barge in on your thread for a minute? I have candle wax on my wall. I blew out a candle and the wax spattered the painted wall behind it. :( Would cold help with that? I was planning to try getting it off by placing a cloth over it and then pressing with a warm iron.

Thanks!

Stephanie

AndreaU
12-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by gertdog
May I barge in on your thread for a minute? I have candle wax on my wall. I blew out a candle and the wax spattered the painted wall behind it. :( Would cold help with that? I was planning to try getting it off by placing a cloth over it and then pressing with a warm iron.

Thanks!

Stephanie

I have the same dilemma and unfortunately the wall does NOT fit in the freezer!

AndreaU
12-11-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by gertdog

Thanks!

Stephanie

Jessica
12-11-2002, 04:03 PM
My menorah does not have big chunks of wax on it but it has melty wax all over and the plating is discolored. Any ideas for me?

gertdog
12-11-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by AndreaU

:p

I was thinking of holding an ice pack against the wall where the wax is and then trying to gently peel/chip it off. What I don't want to end up with is scratches and/or water stains on the wall.

LaraW
12-11-2002, 04:44 PM
Do any of you with wax on the wall have any pampered chef stoneware? Those usually come with a little plastic scraper. I was thinking maybe you could use the scraper to try and get under the wax...what do you think? Maybe a spatula would work - if you don't have one of those pc things.

Julia1Pin
12-11-2002, 04:44 PM
I was able to get the wax off of mine with ALOT of barkeepers friend (mine is stainless steel).

12-11-2002, 05:41 PM
Jessica, I have both the melty and chunky wax remains. I haven't pulled menorah #1 out of the freezer yet, but I will let you know how it turns out.

Jasmine-Rose
12-11-2002, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't use the iron on the wall. Candle wax often has some kind of softener in it that could leave a greasy spot. Take off as much as you can with a thin blade, then press ice or an ice pack on it to try to remove the remainder. While the iron trick is recommended for carpets, I'd be afraid of the possible grease spot.

If the cold doesn't work and you decide to try the iron trick, try ironing over a brown paper bag. The paper might absorb most of the wax instead of letting it stay on the wall. Move the paper often so you aren't reapplying the wax to the wall.

Good luck!

12-12-2002, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the freezer suggestion. It really worked. The chunks of wax came right off and most of the drippies came off with a bit of rubbing and gentle scrapping with my fingernails. My treasured menorah, that my grandmother brought back from Israel when I was a little girl, is still in the freezer. I think it is time to pull it out and finish packing thme away.