PDA

View Full Version : Beef Tenderloin and grilling

tmsl
12-16-2002, 09:32 AM
Can grilling be substituted for the broiling in this recipe? I remember that my brother in law has grilled tenderloin but I'm not sure of the times for grilling instead of broiling. Has anyone prepared this cut of meat in this way?

Thanks,

Laura

Beef Tenderloin With Beaujolais Jus
Use a fairly good wine for the best flavor. If you have leftover beef, serve it on sandwiches with horseradish cream.

Published: Cooking Light- 11/01/97

INGREDIENTS
1 (2-1/4-pound) beef tenderloin
5 teaspoons minced fresh thyme, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce)
1 (750-milliliter) bottle Beaujolais or other light, fruity red wine
1 (14-1/4-ounce) can fat-free beef broth
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon olive oil
Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS
Estimated Total Time: 4 hours minutes
Trim the fat from tenderloin. Combine 3 teaspoons thyme, salt, and pepper; rub evenly over tenderloin. Cover and chill 2 hours.Combine 2 teaspoons thyme, mushrooms, wine, broth, and garlic in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 1-1/2 cups (about 1 hour). Combine water and cornstarch, and stir into wine mixture. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove wine mixture from heat; set aside, and keep warm.Preheat oven to 400.Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tenderloin, browning on all sides, about 12 minutes. Place tenderloin on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Insert meat thermometer into thickest portion of tenderloin. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until thermometer registers 145 (medium-rare) to 160 (medium). Place tenderloin on a serving platter, and cover with foil. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with Beaujolais jus.

YIELD: 8 servings (serving size: 3 ounces beef and 3 tablespoons jus).

NUTRITIONAL INFO
calories: 201 carbohydrates: 3.7 g cholesterol: 71 mg fat: 8.6 g sodium: 372 mg protein: 25.7 g calcium: 17 mg iron: 3.6 mg fiber: 0.3 g

jphilg
12-16-2002, 09:57 AM
To grill this, you would want to make a two level fire: pile the charcoal on one side of your grill, let it burn to ash, and then sort of shift it flat, but only on one side of the grill. If you have a gas grill, just fire up one burner.

Then, instead of searing in the pan, sear the tenderloin on the hot side of the grill. Then move the tenderloin to the cool side, and cook indirectly until desired done-ness. The times will really depend on how hot your grill gets (there are HUGE variations) and how big your tenderloin is. If you haven't grilled a tenderloin before, you'll need a thermometer to tell when it is done.

The upside is the flavor you willg et from the grill, but the downside is that you won't have any pan juices to add the the beajolais jus....but I see that the recipe doesn't call for that, anyway (although if I pan-seared the tenderloin, I would deglaze the pan and add it to the jus).

Good luck!

Jen