PDA

View Full Version : question: basil shrimp w/ orzo and feta

jjf
12-05-2000, 08:14 PM
after all of the rave reviews for this recipe, i think i will make it this week - but i am wondering if it would work without orzo. i was thinking i could leave out the orzo and bake the rest just as stated in the recipe and serve it over angel hair or linguini. do those of you who made it think it would still be as good?

jen

mightyh
12-05-2000, 08:17 PM
Is this the one that you cook in the foil bag? I would put whatever pasta you prefer into the bag--it kind of soaks up the juices while it's cooking.

Just my opinion.

jjf
12-05-2000, 08:23 PM
sorry, here is the recipe. but you are right mightyh, it is the one that you cook in the foil bag. i was worried that the pasta might be overcooked - what do you think?

Basil Shrimp with Feta and Orzo

1 regular-size foil oven bag
Cooking spray
1/2 cup uncooked orzo
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 cup diced tomato
3/4 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

1. Preheat oven to 450.

2. Coat inside of oven bag with cooking spray. Place the bag on a large shallow baking pan.

3. Cook the pasta in boiling water 5 minutes, omitting salt and fat; drain. Place the pasta in a large bowl. Stir in 1 teaspoon oil and next 7 ingredients (1 teaspoon oil through pepper). Place the orzo mixture in prepared oven bag. Combine shrimp and basil. Arrange shrimp mixture on orzo mixture. Fold edge of bag over to seal. Bake at 450 for 25 minutes or until shrimp are done. Cut open bag with sharp knife, and peel back the foil. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil.

mightyh
12-05-2000, 08:31 PM
I made this recipe and had good results following the directions. The orzo on the edges may have gotten a little brown, but if I remember correctly, there is so much juice, that it really compensates and doesn't overcook the pasta.

Mousie29
12-08-2000, 07:15 PM
I'm sorry I'm not sure about the substitution idea. I loved the orzo though.

Even though I just said I loved the orzo, I have a HUGE QUESTION:

I cooked my orzo much longer than stated in recipe because it was hard as a rock. Yet, after the BAKING time, I thought the meal was kinda watery. Does this mean I shouldn't cook the orzo 'till al dente, but let it get that way by BAKING per the recipe?

Thank you.

Beth
12-09-2000, 12:14 AM
Mousie29, sounds like the orzo was intended to finish cooking in the baking time. I have been meaning to try this recipe, and it looks like I have everything on hand except the orzo. I'll have to either pick some up or try another small pasta. If I decide to substitute, I'll let you know how it works.

SusanL
12-09-2000, 06:02 AM
jjf-this is one of our favorites, and I agree that the orzo absorbs the flavors of the other ingredients. Instead of using a foil bag, which helps for easy clean-up, I used a corningware casserole. It was the smallest size I had. Only cooked the orzo for 5 minutes in boiling water . This week when I made it again,I did not have feta. So I substituted grated locatelli. It was also very good. I am sure that you could delete the orzo and put it over the angel hair. Depending how long you need to cook the angel hair could be a problem if you intend to put it in the foil pouch.