PDA

View Full Version : Pie crust-How bad are frozen ones????????

amelippi
12-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Help!! I am making pies for Christmas and never made a pie crust. How bad are frozen, prepared ones? Any suggestions?? Thanxs!!!

jjlmay
12-19-2002, 07:53 PM
I have bought the Pillsbury ones in the refrigerator section, and I think they are very good. They are flakey, and tender. They are better than my ones made from scratch. They come in a red box. There are 2 crusts per box, and they are "rolled out" and inbetween two sheets of saran wrap. You just unfold them and use them like pie dough. I would recommend them highly.

Jasmine-Rose
12-19-2002, 08:21 PM
I agree with jjlmay. You shouldn't have to spoil your holiday by worrying about pie crusts. Get the Pillsbury ones and relax and enjoy the festivities. Just make sure you let the crusts come to room temperature before you try to unfold them. They'll crack if they're too cold.

Leonard
12-19-2002, 08:30 PM
I love to bake and am also a fan of the Pillsbury's "Ready Crust". I don't get such good results from scratch. I would recommend "painting" the bottom of the crust for a fruit pie with a beaten egg white. Fruit pies tend to letch out their juice, sometimes resulting in a soggy bottom crust. The beaten egg white painted on the crust before adding the filling will prevent this from happening. Your bottom crust will bake up nice and golden brown. Good Luck!!

oskie
12-20-2002, 06:11 AM
My grandmother has used the ready-made ones for years and her pies still turn out great.

Another thing she'll do is take any scraps of the dough that are left over (say from a lattice-top design) and roll them out again, cut into strips and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar then bake. It was a good snack to keep us kids out of the "company" desserts!:p

cangoss
12-20-2002, 08:07 AM
When people rave about my pie crust, I tell them "it's my mother's secret recipe". They don't need to know that my mother's secret is using the Pillsbury red box crust;)

sarah2397
12-20-2002, 08:22 AM
Another user of Pillsbury refrigerator crusts here. I think they taste great and can be used with confidence.

claire797
12-20-2002, 08:25 AM
I usually make mine for the fun of it. Sometimes, my homemade ones are better than Pillsbury and sometimes they're not. If you're a novice pie maker, than you really can't go wrong with a Pillsbury crust.

beejayw1
12-20-2002, 08:32 AM
If you're in a hurry and don't want to get bogged down with crust-making, Pillsbury works well.

I have used frozen crusts when I'm really desperate, but I find their texture is rather bad. Also, they are sweetened (not a good thing) and it's a good idea to check what sort of fat is used in the crust, because sometimes they use animal fats, which is a problem if you're baking for a vegetarian. I believe there may be some kosher issues there, too (must ask my Jewish friends).

Love to Run
12-20-2002, 09:55 AM
I always use Pillsbury crusts but in my oven I need to watch them so that they don't get too brown. I purchased the crust covers and put them on when the pie is about halfway done. If you don't have covers you can make them out of aluminum foil.
Carole

Peggy
12-20-2002, 01:21 PM
Another worshiper of the Pillbury Ready-made pie crusts. They always look great and are consistently better than anything I could ever make.

Peggy

JaneStarr
12-20-2002, 02:27 PM
I also like the frozen ones by Oronoke Orchards, in addition to the Pillsbury All Ready pie crusts.

Jane

Chirik
12-20-2002, 05:03 PM
For Thanksgiving, I made two Sweet Potatoe Pies. Since, I've only made pie crust from scratch once before - I've normally used frozen or pillsbury - I bought a red box, and used it for one pie, and made the other crust using the Cooking Light Pastry Crust (http://cookinglight.timeinc.net/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=223296)

Personally, I felt this was the best a red-box crust has ever come out - unlike usual, I didn't have cracks where it was folded.

That aside, I took the pie with the homemade crust to the family dinner - my crust came out very well - much better than the red box - and, more importantly, better than my grandma's crust. ;-)

I did use the second crust from the red box to cut out leaf and acorn shapes, which I dusted with a cinnamon-sugar mixture and cooked seperately. When done, I used them to decorate the finished pies.

Very yum.

TeriK
12-20-2002, 06:36 PM
I've also used the boxed crusts for chicken pot pie and have had nothing but good luck with them.
Relax and enjoy!

amelippi
12-20-2002, 08:36 PM
Thank you Everone who responded to "help w/ Pie Crust!!!!!! I appreciate all your suggestions!!!! Your all so nice!! I hope I'm doing this right-my response message-I just became a member the day i listed my post!!

claire797
12-21-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by amelippi
Thank you Everone who responded to "help w/ Pie Crust!!!!!! I appreciate all your suggestions!!!! Your all so nice!! I hope I'm doing this right-my response message-I just became a member the day i listed my post!!

Yes you are! Post as much as you want! :)

JulieM
12-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Has anyone tried the frozen whole-wheat crusts at Wild Oats?

HRJ
12-21-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by beejayw1
...it's a good idea to check what sort of fat is used in the crust, because sometimes they use animal fats, which is a problem if you're baking for a vegetarian. I believe there may be some kosher issues there, too (must ask my Jewish friends).

Diana is right -- unless they've changed the recipe lately, the Pillsbury "red box" crusts use either lard or beef fat, making them inappropriate for vegetarians or anyone who keeps kosher. There are also several brands of frozen crusts that contain lard -- I think the Pillsbury frozen crusts are among them, but not sure. It's best to read the ingredients if any of this is a concern.

I use Oronoque Orchards frequently -- made with all-vegetable fats, and certified kosher -- and think they put out a very good product. I've also recently tried the Whole Foods house brand, and they are very good as well.

Helene