PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a green salad for Christmas dinner?

TeriK
12-22-2002, 05:49 PM
I make a couple of nice salads (which is why I'm ALWAYS asked to bring them to family functions), but I was looking for something a little different. Any suggestions? The one that is a huge hit with my family has greens, toasted pine nuts, feta, grape tomatoes and cucumbers. I vary the dressing.
Thanks for any suggestions. Happy holidays!

wallycat
12-22-2002, 05:55 PM
Gosh, so many have been mentioned here...
Three wise-men salad (beets, orange slices and red onion), Cesear salads, Feta, dried cranberries with honey dressing......

Try using the search funciton and type in "salad" to see what has been reviewed. It may help narrow down a choice for you.
I'm at a loss....not very great at making a creative salad. Maybe others will post :rolleyes:

JackieO
12-22-2002, 07:07 PM
I made a Rachel Ray salad last night that I saw on her show earlier in the day. The base layer is a large bunch of hearts of Romaine lettuce, topped with sliced radicchio (sp?:o ), topped with slices of fennel. Just before serving, sprinkle on some course salt and freshly ground pepper, then dress with good olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Even DH, who is not wild about "exotic" salads, thought this was very good. And it doesn't get much easier....;)

jennanne
12-22-2002, 07:15 PM
My favorite salad of the moment is a simple mix of greens, sliced pear, bleu cheese, and candied walnuts all topped with a champagne vinaigrette. There is a great contrast of flavors and the candied walnuts would make it seem a little more festive.

TamiKnight
12-22-2002, 07:23 PM
This is my new favorite. The vibrant color of the dressing would be beautiful on a Christmas table.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mixed Salad with Blackberry Vinaigrette

Recipe By :Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads Side Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 pint fresh blackberries -- plus extra for garnish
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup light olive oil
6 cups mixed greens -- well washed and spun dry
12 endive spears
1/4 cup roughly chopped toasted pistachios
4 ounces goat cheese -- crumbled
1 avocado -- cubed

In a large skillet, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the blackberries and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the vinegars and cook until reduced by half, about 30 seconds.

Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender. Add the sugar, mint and tarragon, and process to a smooth paste. Add the salt and pepper. With the machine running, add the light olive oil through the feed tube and process until smooth.

Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl and refrigerate until completely cool, about 1 hour.

To make the salads, in a large bowl, combine the greens with the endive and pistachios and toss with the vinaigrette until lightly coated. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

To plate, divide the tossed greens among 4 plates and top with the goat cheese. Arrange 3 endive spears and the avocado slices decoratively around the edges, and serve. Garnish with extra blackberries.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 268 Calories; 21g Fat (68.2% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 30mg Cholesterol; 392mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Prep Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Difficulty: Easy

Lauren
12-22-2002, 07:26 PM
What about one of the warm spinach salads? We had one from the December issue at our dinner group and everyone liked it. There was also one posted here a few weeks back with goat cheese.

Beth
12-22-2002, 08:59 PM
My salad at Thanksgiving was mixed field greens, crumbled feta, dried cranberries, clementine sections and a raspberry balsamic vinagrette. I loved it. I think I'm going to do something similar for our Christmas dinner but use sliced pears instead of the clementine sections (if the pears are ripe) and a milder cheese.

Meg O'C
12-22-2002, 09:07 PM
I always make a spinach salad with mandarin oranges and walnuts. It has a very sweet dressing that goes with it. The recipe is really old. My mom got it in a dinner group she was in about 25 years ago and frequently makes it for special occasions. I brought it for Christmas to DH's family dinner three years ago and since then it has become a Christmas tradition. I think I posted it here once a while ago but would happy to post again if you are interested.

Peggy
12-23-2002, 12:47 AM
My favorite Christmas Dinner salad is the Pear, Walnut, and Blue Cheese Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from the CL December 2001 issue. If you don't have this issue and you are interested, I would be happy to post it for you.

Peggy

newtricks
12-23-2002, 07:29 AM
I agree with Jennifer and Peggy. The pear, blue cheese, and walnut combination is very festive and delicious. I haven't tried the cranberry vinaigrette but that seems like a good idea. Very "Christmas-ey".

BeachBum
12-23-2002, 08:39 AM
Peggy,
I would love to see the recipe for the Cranberry Vinaigrette if you don't mind posting. Thank you.

Peggy
12-23-2002, 10:28 AM
BeachBum,

Here it is the recipe. I usually use spring greens in place of the Bibb lettuce. I also usually omit the tossing of the pears with orange juice. It's a fabulous salad especially around the holidays. I'm actually making it tonight for dinner!

Peggy

Pear, Walnut, and Blue Cheese Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette

Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup canned whole-berry cranberry sauce
1/4 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspon salt

Salad:

18 Bibb lettuce leaves (about 2 heads)
2 cups sliced peeled pears (about 2 pears)
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 cup (1/8-inch thick) slices red onion, separated into rings
1/3 cup (2oz) crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, toated

1. To prepare the vinaigrette, place first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well with a whisk.

2. To prepare salad, divide lettuce leaves evenly among 6 salad plates. Toss pear with 2 tablespoons orange juice. Divide pear and onion evenly among leaves. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon blue cheese and 1 teaspoon walnuts. Drizzle each serving with about 2 1/2 tablespoons of vinaigrette.

BeachBum
12-24-2002, 08:20 AM
Thanks Peggy. I often make the salad part of this salad (trial and error method) but usually serve with Naturally Fresh brand of Balsamic Vinaigrette. I'm excited to try with this new dressing.

Kimba
12-25-2002, 09:01 PM
I made the Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad for Christmas dinner, and it was the BEST salad I've ever had.

There was silence at the dinner table, with occasional moaning outbursts :)

Kimba

jennanne
12-25-2002, 11:09 PM
It is a great salad. I'm so glad it was a hit at your Christmas!

TeriK
12-26-2002, 02:04 PM
Thank you all so much for the great suggestions. I ended up going with the pear, bleu cheese and candied walnut salad--but I had to use apples since I could find no ripe pears. It was a hit, but next time I'd change the ratio of greens to goodies--and use smaller pieces of walnuts.
Overall, it was a success. Thanks again.