PDA

View Full Version : Oh, my!! Coconut shrimp

vbak
12-26-2002, 04:40 PM
I finally made the coconut shrimp from April CL. This is absolutely delicious. While they were baking and while I was eating them I felt like I was on Spring break in Cocoa Beach eating coconut shrimp on the ocean. I made the salsa minus the pepper and it was good, too. I would like to make a dipping sauce next time; maybe orange marmalade, lime and something else. Very good. Vicky

rmg_CA
12-26-2002, 05:04 PM
You're right, Vicky, I just made these on Monday night too and whoa, were they yummy!! :D

I had made a fried version from Gourmet and thought they were outstanding but these are just as good, maybe even better because MUCH less guilt than fried and waaaay less clean up than dumping out the frying oil and cleaning the burnt bits off the stove (never mind my burnt skin from oil spatters!!). I'm ditching the fried version and will put this baked one into my rotation for party appetizers! I also served them (reheated the next day) to my friend who made the fried coconut shrimp with me and her eyes rolled up into her head in delight just like mine did. She couldn't beleive they were baked either.

I also posted a while ago on a thread about this shrimp and posted the tamarind ginger sauce from Gourmet (or you can look for it at Gourmet.com by looking for Coconut Shrimp with Tamarind Ginger Sauce). This might be just what you're looking for to accompany it. I didn't like the CL salsa too much for the shrimp, good fruit salsa but too chunky for the shrimp.

Laura B
12-26-2002, 05:17 PM
Oh, yeah! I love these things. In fact, you just helped me plan tomorrow night's menu. ;)

I could not find any plain pineapple preserves, but I did find a pineapple and orange combination. I'll give that a try with the salsa recipe.

Karen in VA
01-03-2003, 09:41 AM
I finally made these on New Years Eve and they were fantastic! I have stopped telling my husband that something is light (then he wrongly assumes it won't always be good). So after inhaling more than his fair share he asked just how bad for him they were and I smiled and said it was light!! He couldnt believe it. I also made some stuffed mushrooms from the recipe found on the same page as the coconut shrimp recipe and they were really yummy too. I used button mushrooms for that. Both definite repeaters and two thumbs up!