PDA

View Full Version : Quince Recipes?

beejayw1
01-01-2003, 03:44 PM
On a whim, I bought two quinces from the grocery store. I've never seen them before, but I know a fair amount about them - can't be eaten raw, etc.

I didn't know how very fragrant they are (wonderful scent) and while they're rather pricey, I will be going back to buy some more and make, at least, some quince preserves. The two I have here right now will be cooked in the spiced winter fruit recipe.

But that's the only quince recipe I was able to find on this board (aside from quince paste).

Anyone have other suggestions for ways to cook these fragrant guys? (I'll do a google search, too, but it's best to have a recipe from someone you know and respect!)

P.S. Happy New Year!

Luiza
01-01-2003, 04:28 PM
My grandmother used to make a meat and quince stew which was excellent, so I'm quite fond of this combination. Quinces are impossible to come by here in the frozen north, unfortunately, so I haven't had this dish in a long time. Here is a recipe from a Greek cookbook (Greek Cooking by Robin Howe), which sounds very much like my grandmother's recipe:

Meat with Quinces

3lb meat (lamb, veal or beef)
4lb quinces
1-2 onions
2-3oz butter
salt and pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 pint hot water

Wipe the meat clean and cut into cubes. Finely chop the onion(s). Peel the quinces and cut into thick slices. Heat the butter and fry the onions and the meat until brown. Add the hot water and cook slowly until the meat is [very] tender. Add the quinces - a little more water if required - salt, pepper and sugar and cook until soft. No other vegetables are required.

The original version of this dish is meat intensive (hence the quantity in the recipe), but less meat can be used with no loss of flavour.

Happy New Year!

AnnaSue
01-01-2003, 07:39 PM
How about the Quince Upside-Down Tart from the 12/02 CL?

TitlePending
01-01-2003, 07:44 PM
Diana~ I've just been going through my old '92 and up to '98 Nov/Dec CL editions [call me crazy, but I do this every 2 months] and one of them had an extensive section on quince. I took a chance and went to CL's home page, did a search for quince and it came back with 8 different recipes, with a nice variety. I will see if I can locate the issue and post.

Linda~

TitlePending
01-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Pages 188-193 "Quince Charming" I double checked and the 8 recipes found through CL's home page search for quince are the same 8 recipes included in the article.

Linda~

beejayw1
01-02-2003, 07:48 AM
Thanks so much to you for the recipes:

Luiza-
That sounds wonderful - even if I don't use quinces for it (I made the spiced winter fruit last night - very good!) I might try making it with apples.

AnnaSue -
I tried making a Tarte Tatin (like this, but with apples) and messed it up. The quinces might do better. (And I can't believe I didn't remember the recipe; I even checked the recipe guide for that issue! Duh!

TitlePending -
Thanks for the info. I think I'll be making the quince marmalade. You know, as long as I've been on this board (actually over 2 years), you'd think I'd know how to do a recipe search, but I bombed out big time with this one.

Thanks to you all for the help! You're great!

emilycat
01-02-2003, 08:30 AM
Diana,

I, too, have just discovered quince, and they're so wonderful! I can't believe the amazing fragrance just a few of those little fruits emit!

I made the most wonderful North African-style lamb stew with them, along with several other other vegetables, as well as cinnamon and maybe cloves. It was truly one of the most delicious dishes I've ever made. If you're interested, I'll type it up for you later today or tomorrow (just don't have it on hand right now). There's also a Greek one I have a recipe for I'm going to try soon.

I went and bought four more of them this past week, though, fearing that they'd disappear soon! Good thing they keep well!