PDA

View Full Version : ISO book to read to kindergarteners

greta
01-09-2003, 09:10 AM
i am the mystery reader for my nephew's kindergarten class tomorrow, and i'm having a difficult time deciding on a book (nothing like waiting until the last minute :rolleyes: ).

any suggestions?

my nephew has memorized almost every dinosaur book that exits, so i'll steer away from those.

i was also thinking it would be nice to bring cupcakes or something like that...what do you think?

greta

memartha
01-09-2003, 09:58 AM
My kindergarten daughter suggests "Are You My Mother" or "In a People House." (both are Dr. Seuss, I believe). I also like "Swimmy" by Leo Lionni, "100th Day Worries" by Margery Cuyler, and "Horray for Rodney Rat" (Author might be Helen Lester, can't remember). Have fun! What a neat thing for you to do.

Gilgamesh37
01-09-2003, 10:28 AM
well, these are oldies but I prefer to think of them as timeless. Both are Suess books--either Scrambled Eggs Super or (depending on how agile your tongue is--my grandmother so loathed trying to read this book to me that she used to hide it) Fox in Socks

LaraW
01-09-2003, 10:46 AM
I liked the books Stone Soup and Ira Sleeps Over

gertdog
01-09-2003, 10:58 AM
I like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff and any of the sheep books by Nancy Shaw (Sheep in a Jeep, Sheep in a Shop, Sheep on a Ship), though the latter have fewer words and more (very funny) pictures.

If you want something a little longer, I adored Kermit the Hermit and other books by Bill Peet.

ClaraB
01-09-2003, 11:12 AM
There are so many, it would be hard to pick - how about Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister, Mouse Mess by Linnea Riley, Caps For Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin and John Archambault, or If You Give a Pig a Pancake, If You Give a Moose a Muffin or If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff? These are all great read-aloud stories that kids usually love. And kudos for volunteering to read - it's such a treat for the kids!

sal
01-09-2003, 11:15 AM
I am a Rosemary Wells fan, so my suggestions would be "Bunny Cakes", or "Max's Chocolate Chicken." sally

DmOrtega
01-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Any books that has some pictures and a short story will be ok for kindergarteners. A funny story would be great. I'd try to find something that they haven't heard or read before. If you don't have books, you can go to the local library and get them and the librarians would have great ideas. Have fun.

MrsReber
01-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Dr. Seusse is a hit with my neice and nephew, ages 6 and 5. They love to read them and hear them read over and over and over! Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? or The Foot Book (don't know if there are longer versions of those. I have the board books at home). I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words is a favorite with another neice of mine.

Cupcakes sound good, but I don't know how all parents feel about those things. At DD's daycare, they suggested bringing in stickers or some non food items (we've received bubbles, pens that light up, stickers,)for any parties they have. I do like cupcakes, though. I don't mind DD having food at parties.

BlueMoose
01-09-2003, 11:55 AM
I like the Laura Numeroff books. Also, Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type is really cute and funny.

funnybone
01-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Clifford the Big Red Dog books are fun too, as are Arthur books. Both come in a variety of levels, I believe.

BeachBum
01-09-2003, 12:28 PM
When my husband is the celebrity reader for kindergarten classes he always reads "The Dumb Bunnies" which was suggested by a kindergarten teacher one year. It is very, very silly and the kids love it.

Have fun!

Lrimerman
01-09-2003, 02:30 PM
My Daughter is in Preschool and loves the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom book as well as Stone Soup. However, a book I bought her is also really nice and she repeatedly asks for it, she wants me to read it in class when I am Shabbat Mom (similar to mystery reader). It is Bangalee, by Stephen Cosgrove.

Lisa

greta
01-09-2003, 03:06 PM
thanks for all of the great suggestions.
i've written a bunch of them down, and i'll see what i find at the book store.
i'll let you know what i end up reading.

hey, and about the cupcakes--i'm the aunt, i'm allowed to give them the sugary treats, right?!?! ;)

this board never ceases to amaze me.
greta

RebeccaT
01-09-2003, 03:18 PM
I love reading A Bad Case of Stripes to children. Plus, it's a gorgeous book with fantastic art. Here's the cover:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0590929976.01._PE30_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's about a little girl who loves lima beans, but won't eat them because they aren't "cool." She breaks out into a TERRIBLE case of not being herself.... she's covered in stripes! It's a wonderful lesson, too, about being who you are no matter what other folks think!

Have fun!

greta
01-10-2003, 01:08 PM
after much deliberation, i went with beachbum's recommendation of "the dumb bunnies".

the kids loved it! it's extremely silly (i liked it too:p). i was a bit concerned at first about the "dumb" part--a word we don't really like my nephew to use. BUT, the teacher and i talked about it with the kids. the cupcakes went over well too! (i left them outside of the room at first, just in case the teacher didn't want the kids to have them).

i must admit, i was fighting back tears when my nephew first saw me. i, as the mystery reader, had to knock 3 times on the door. after i knocked, i heard the kids get all excited--who was going to open the door? as i was walking in the teacher was saying, "does anyone recognize this person?" when i caught my nephew's eye, he had a huge smile on his face and ran over to me--hugging my leg as tight as he could. when the teacher asked him who i was, he said in a proud voice, "my aunt." i almost lost it!

thank you all for your suggestions, and for listening to me gush!:D

have a great weekend.
greta

Robyncz
01-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Hooray, Greta! What fun. I totally understand how you felt about your nephew's reaction. I teared up just reading your description. What a lucky boy to have an aunt like you!!!

MrsReber
01-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Greta, that brings tears to my eyes as well! When I pick up DD at daycare, she always looks up, yells "mommy!!!!!" and comes over for me to pick her up. I just love that feeling!

I'll have to check out the Dumb Bunnies. I need some new books to read at home!

gertdog
01-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Greta, I'm so glad it went well. I didn't quite understand how the "mystery reader" thing worked... didn't realize that your nephew wouldn't know you were coming till you arrived. That's so cool! It must have felt so good to have him be so excited to see you.

I have never seen the book you read... I will have to look for it.

dcornelius
01-10-2003, 01:46 PM
Im the worlds greatest childrens book ephisianato (sp?) so you're in my territory now! =)

Good books for that age group are:
*Angela the copycat (the title might be different but the cover is two girls wearing the same dress at a chalkboard)
*Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
*Where the wild things are
*Angelina Balerina
*OH OH OH THIS IS THE BEST READ THIS ONE!!! THE TRUE STORY OF THE THREE LITTLE PIGS!! ITS FAAAAAAAABULOUS!!! they'll love you forever

and if all else fails, you can never go wrong with The Stinky Cheese Man, and other tales, donate it to the class its got lots of stories.