PDA

View Full Version : Lunches & Snacks - No Refrigeration

stefania4
01-10-2003, 08:02 AM
As an "I love you" and an encouragement to eat healthfully, I pack my fiance's lunch. Right now he's working somewhere that he doesn't have access to a refrigerator, which limits lunch options.

Any thoughts? This morning I packed him snack-y foods (a can of low-sodium V-8, a pear, roasted pecans) but I'm going to need some diversity....

wallycat
01-10-2003, 08:21 AM
small cans of fruit, PB sandwiches, cheeses...
does he have access to hot water or a microwave? If so, Fantastic makes chili cups that offer as much as 14grams of fiber :D and are tasty.
You could also get one of those lunch bags that uses a cold pack so you could pack salads or tuna sandwiches.
You could also pack a healthier frozen meal that could also keep something else cold and he could zap the meal in the microwave when it's time for lunch.
Sesame noodles (or other such foods that can be served at room temperature).

I hate to admit this, but when I worked in an office without a fridge, if it meant leaving something that started out very cold for a few hours (till lunch), I was OK with that...not everyday, but occasionally.

Kismet
01-10-2003, 08:25 AM
I agree with Wallycat - if he has access to a microwave, just use a cold pack in a lunch bag. Our office has no fridges, but I bring my lunch nearly every day using an insulated bag with cold pack. It works great!

gertdog
01-10-2003, 08:27 AM
I'm in a similar situation. I often have to tote my lunch around with me, no refrigerator.

I like those Babybell and Laughing Cow mini-cheeses... they don't require refrigeration. I pack myself two of those with some whole-grain crackers, fruit, and yogurt.

Hummus does well at room temperature for a few hours. Hummus with some pita bread to dip... yum!

In the winter I sometimes eat those noodle cups... I try to buy the ones in the natural foods section that are lower in fat and sodium, plus I can find vegetarian flavors there. It really is nice to have something hot when it's cold outside!

I am guessing that if your fiance doesn't have fridge access, he probably doesn't have a microwave either. But if he does... I often make bean, cheese, and veggie burritos and freeze them. Or chili, or soup. I freeze individual servings in microwave safe containers. Then I pack a frozen serving in my lunch. By lunchtime, it's almost defrosted and just needs to be microwaved til hot. Added bonus is that the frozen container serves as an icepack of sorts for the other food in my lunch bag.

Good luck... I am interested to hear other ideas!

CompassRose
01-10-2003, 09:05 AM
For hot things, another option is those extra-wide-mouth thermos containers; you could pre-heat soup, stew or even leftover casserole and put it in those.

LauraBL
01-10-2003, 09:48 AM
I'm thinking that when I was in elementary school we didn't have access to a fridge and I often had tuna fish sandwiches! I guess it didn't get too hot or gross before it was time to eat.

tbb113
01-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Aladdian makes a thermos that can be microwaved in the morning with the hot food. It keeps the food HOT for at least 5 hours. My son won't eat room temp food (I know, I know) and I have been using this thermos for the last two years. It will work with chicken, beef, leftovers etc. The other type of thermos need to have a hot liquid to keep the contents warm. This one doesn't. Target carries it and I'm sure its available elsewhere.

You know we all ate room temp. sandwiches as kids...and we all survived :) You can also use the wide mouth thermos for salads ( I didn't like sandwiches in Jr High and used the thermos instead for salad). It kept it nice and cool and crunchy. Just pack the dressing separate.

Tyra

stefania4
01-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Thanks, everyone! I'm definitely going to look into the insulated lunch bag/cold pack idea.

I, too, had turkey & cheese sandwiches that stayed at room temp in my locker for hours and never got sick, but he's soooo picky about these things. And in reality, the cost of an insulated lunch bag & cold pack is still a heckuva lot less than eating out all the time.

JHolcomb
01-10-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by stefania4
Thanks, everyone! I'm definitely going to look into the insulated lunch bag/cold pack idea.

I, too, had turkey & cheese sandwiches that stayed at room temp in my locker for hours and never got sick, but he's soooo picky about these things. And in reality, the cost of an insulated lunch bag & cold pack is still a heckuva lot less than eating out all the time.

I think we got DH's at Target for under $10. And it looks grown-up and manly, so he doesn't feel like a doofus carrying it. I pack him anything that I would pack if he had a fridge (well, he does, but it's one of those where if you put anything in it his co-workers will eat it :rolleyes: ). Buy an extra cold pack or two for those days that you forget to freeze the one from the day before (it happens to us lots).

Valerie226
01-10-2003, 01:07 PM
My husband has been taking bag lunches FOREVER. we do the insulated pack/blue ice but in addition I partly freeze his drink. He likes white grape/raspberry juice. I pour it in a reusable juice container & freeze an inch or two of the juice and top it off with liquid juice in the morning. by lunch it's still ice cold and not diluted. I also freeze muffins, brownies or sweet bread and put them in the pack frozen. apples,carrot sticks , oranges, and yogurt all go in cold. I don't worry about his sandwich when everything around it is cold/frozen. by lunchtime things are thawed but not warm. usually by the time he comes home at night the blue ice is still half frozen. we do live in a cool climate and his office has air in the summer. It's not sitting in the car in the sun.

BeachBum
01-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Is no one else a fan of the tuna in the bag? I really like the white albacore tuna in the bag (as opposed to the can). They make it in those kits with little packets of light mayo and relish with crackers, and it doesn't need to be drained.

Another idea is if you take a bottled water--freeze it and it will act as the cold pack as it thaws out through the day.