PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for week-long getaway for single traveller

foodfiend
01-16-2003, 05:49 PM
I'd like to get away for a while -- a retreat, maybe. I was considering just staying at a resort, but I'd like something more adventurous (something like Outward Bound but quite as adventurous). It can be in the U.S. or Canada. Any recommendations?

Natasha3
01-16-2003, 06:08 PM
Hi foodfiend!

What time of year are you looking to get away? Winter, or when it gets a bit warmer (or are you looking to go someplace that is warm now)? Are you a winter sports fan or do you like any outdoor activities in particular? How far would you prefer to travel? I can probably give you some ideas if I have a bit more in mind about what you like to do. :) I love outdoor and fairly active vacations!

Natasha

foodfiend
01-16-2003, 06:30 PM
Lots of questions! I'd like something outdoorsy, but I have limited experience e.g. I don't know how to ski. I love B.C. and I love hiking in the mountains. But I'm open to suggestions. Anything where I can appreciate nature and come back refreshed.

Chefzhat
01-16-2003, 06:48 PM
Is Banff too far away? It's beautiful there, lots of hiking, heli-hiking, skiing, nature, etc.

Debie

Kayla
01-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Chefzhat
Is Banff too far away? It's beautiful there, lots of hiking, heli-hiking, skiing, nature, etc.

Debie

Debie read my mind... I was going to suggest Banff as well. It is supposed to be spectacular ... no wait, BEYOND spectacular. Gorgeous, outdoorsy, relaxing, breathtaking... etc. My mother went last summer and came home with rave reviews... "like no place on earth"

aggie94
01-16-2003, 07:59 PM
You might think about checking out some of the adventure trips that REI sponsors:

http://www.rei.com/adventures/index.html?stat=side_24

I haven't been, but I would love to one day.

foodfiend
01-16-2003, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the link. The trips sounds interesting. I've never heard of the company. Does anyone know something about REI adventures? The thing I like about Outward Bound is that they place safety first.

ChristieinMB
01-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Two suggestions....
One I mentioned earlier on another thread, Rancho la Puerta in Tecate Mexico. I've gone there several times alone, most women do. It is self contained adventure. It is not a fat farm or lay around get pampered kind of spa, but it is almost all women, not a place to meet men. Here is a link
http://www.rancholapuerta.com/About/index.html
Next suggestion, Backroads bike tour, I just did this last year in Thailand, it was fantastic. There are all single groups or singles with couples, whichever you want. You will be with small group of great people. They have trips all over the world. I talked to a woman on the trip I was one, she had gone several times before she was married, thought it was a great trip for single women. Here is a link to that company
http://www.backroads.com/
I highly recommend either one.
BTW, REI is a good respected company also, I wouldn't hesitate to book with them.
Christie

aggie94
01-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Like I mentioned, I've never done any of their trips so I'm not familiar with that aspect of REI, but as Christie said, REI is a well-respected company. They've got stores all over the country and we've been members (it's a co-op) for several years. We've bought a lot of their merchandise over the years -- it's high quality, and their customer service is excellent. I would expect no less of their trips.

stefania4
01-17-2003, 02:58 AM
I've also used www.gorp.com for my biennial Girl Trip...

Angela
01-17-2003, 05:29 AM
LLBean's got an Outdoor Discovery school. I've never done them, but they sound like great fun! They've got a bunch of different "classes"/trips. Here's the link http://www.llbean.com/outdoorsOnline/odp/index.html?feat=gn

gabbyh
01-17-2003, 04:55 PM
foofiend,
For the past 2 weeks or so I've been listening to everyone talk about "Volunteer Vacations" on the Today Show...I think it was a 5 part series...it sounded so neat, and something I would want to do some day...here's a link for more info:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/857351.asp

~Gail H.

foodfiend
01-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Another thought occurred to me -- last minute club vacations. There are lots of week-long stays at resorts in the Caribbean or in Mexico. I've never travelled there, and I'd be going by myself. Mind you, this isn't the nature-adventure trip I had originally planned, but with this cold snap I wouldn't mind someplace warm.

HejazSunKat
01-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Wow! What great ideas. I'm going to show my geographical ignorance...where is Banff?

Jen
01-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Banff is in the Rocky Mountains in Canada (close to the BC/Alberta border).

DH and I went there for 1.5 weeks a couple of years ago (he was singing as part of a choir-in-residence at a big music festival there). He will also be taking his high school band students - close to 100 of them! - this May for a HS band competition. I think I'm glad I went with him and I'm not going with them!! We actually have a few pictures from that trip posted on our website (which is badly out of date!)...they are here (http://www.xenz.com/cabralda/photos/trips/content.html) (scroll to the bottom).

Peggy C.
01-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Jen those pictures are great! I didn't know where Banff was either Linda, thanks for asking.

HejazSunKat
01-19-2003, 01:42 AM
It's lovely Jen! Thanks for sharing your pictures. I HAD heard of Lake Louise but didn't know where it was. Banff is now on wish list of places to visit.

Chiffonade
01-19-2003, 06:16 AM
I haven't read any of the other responses here but my suggestion would be A Cooking Holiday. See if there is a cooking school in a city you were interested in seeing. See if there is a cheapie hotel (or have the school recommend one) and take some courses in stuff you really want to know how to do.

I know...Cooking related. But then, I'm a one-trick-pony.

Kerri
01-19-2003, 08:22 AM
What about rafting down the Grand Canyon? There are tours that take you down there and I have heard they are fun. I would think that there would be enough other people there to meet and mingle with, but due to the nature of the vacation, it wouldn't get to "couple-y".

foodfiend
01-19-2003, 08:42 AM
I've been surfing the Internet for vacations in the Caribbean and Mexico. Has anyone travelled to these places alone? Cuba doesn't penalize single travellers -- has anyone stayed at a resort in Cuba? I've never been to the Caribbean.

Loremma
01-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the reminder of Banff. I first heard and saw it probably 15 years ago on the soap I was watching at the time, "Another World". The characters Vicky and Grant went there for their honeymoon and I thought it was a beautiful and magical looking place. I'd love to go someday.

Isn't it awful that I remember the characters names???

Jen
01-19-2003, 01:10 PM
Glad you enjoyed the photos!! :D

Of course, I have to throw in a vote for Vancouver as well... I love this city and there's lots of stuff to do for a single person (or anyone for that matter). Other advantages: it's extremely safe compared to most US cities, and very cheap (great exchange on your US dollars).

You could even combine your trip...do a few days in Vancouver with a cycling trip through the Gulf Islands. Here's one company that does bike trips: Freshtracks (http://www.freshtracks.ca/cycling/Gulf%20Island%20biking.htm).

[Edited to add: Oops! I just realized you're in Canada as well! Sorry!]

foodfiend
01-19-2003, 02:15 PM
Hi Jen,
I lived in Vancouver for a while, and I love it. The scenery is wonderful, and there's so much great hiking! I'm just looking for the right opportunity/excuse to move back out West (maybe once the economic and political scene is more settled)

Natasha3
01-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi foodfiend!

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. :) I would suggest going down to Mountain Equipment Co-op since you are in Toronto, and checking out their message board. There are usually lots of things about tours and trips and groups, all with an active bent. I haven't done any of them but they sound like fun.

However, I see that you are also considering going somewhere warm, and think that sounds like a wonderful idea too! I have been seeing lots of good deals for the Caribbean and heard recently from my sister about a nice place (I think it was in Cuba -- she heard a lot about it from a friend). I personally know very little about tropical places but can give you some info based on my research (I have been doing lots of travel resaarch recently!). Just PM me if you are interested or post here.

Good luck and bon voyage!
Natasha

jmarie
01-20-2003, 07:19 AM
Be sure to let us all know what you decide!

claire797
01-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Chiffonade
I haven't read any of the other responses here but my suggestion would be A Cooking Holiday. See if there is a cooking school in a city you were interested in seeing. See if there is a cheapie hotel (or have the school recommend one) and take some courses in stuff you really want to know how to do.

I know...Cooking related. But then, I'm a one-trick-pony.

There are some REALLY neat cooking trips out there. Tons. It's overwhelming really. I was doing some research and found this company:

http://www.epiculinary.com

They have just about every cooking vacation you could imagine. The www.shawguides.com page has some good ones too.

foodfiend
01-20-2003, 07:52 PM
claire797-
Thanks for the tips. Those websites are fabulous, especially the Shaw guides one. If I'm interested in any type of vacation (writing, language, photography), I just have to look there.

TeriK
01-21-2003, 12:51 AM
I absolutely love travelling by myself (but have two small children, so that's not gonna happen again anytime soon). I went to Fiji alone about five years ago and it was amazing. I know it's not in the area you're looking at, but be open to other possibilities. I simply went there on a whim--I thought, where could I go? How about Fiji. I didn't really even know where it was.
Talk to a travel agent over the phone about suggestions. You don't have to book with the, but some of them are very helpful. Have fun!