PDA

View Full Version : Oriental Turkey Chili

valchemist
01-19-2003, 06:16 AM
I tried to post this review on the original thread started by Kari, but I keep getting error messages. Here is the recipe, a link to the original thread, and my review.

original thread (http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35749)

Oriental Turkey Chili

2 cups yellow onions, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 lb. ground turkey, browned
2 Tbsp minced ginger root
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp corn oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
2 cups canned whole tomatoes
16 oz. can dark red kidney beans, undrained

1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low 6 hours.
3. Serve topped with chow mein noodles, or over cooked rice.
Makes 6 servings as is, 10-12 if served over rice.

assuming 6 servings:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 286 Calories; 10g Fat (31.3% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 60mg Cholesterol; 996mg Sodium.

my review

I thought this was great! DH really enjoyed it too. I served it over rice and we only got 4 servings out of it. The recipe says 12 servings if you serve it with rice. Ha Ha! Maybe it would serve 12 mice. Seriously, we aren't pigs. We got 4 average size servings with rice out of this recipe.

I used 1 pound of 93% lean ground turkey. There was hardly any grease after I browned it, so I didn't drain it and just omitted the oil in the recipe. I also omitted the sugar, since DH doesn't like sweet main dishes. I used Penzey's Medium Hot Chili Powder and that gave it a nice kick.

I thought the ginger flavor was a bit too strong since you put the ginger in the pot raw. I love ginger, but I really thought that it just gave too much of a bite in the recipe prepared as is. Next time I would saute the ginger (and onions and garlic, while I was at it) with the meat. I think that would have given the chili a smoother flavor. The chili is a bit on the soupy side, so if you like your chili to be thick, you should be aware of that. It went perfectly over rice because some of the juices flowed down into the rice. Yum.

pilgrim719
01-19-2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the review Val, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I was wondering how soupy it would be with the ground turkey. I used the shredded chicken and it definitely made it thicker like a chili, otherwise I probably would have cooked up some rice to go with it also, although I agree that I don't think cooking some rice would have given us 10-12 servings either!

Kari