PDA

View Full Version : ? about Eye of Round Roast

buffygirl
02-11-2003, 07:27 AM
I'm having a dinner party this weekend and came across a Kentucky Bourbon Roast recipe in my "Stop and Smell the Rosemary" cookbook. It calls for an Eye of Round cut of meat. Is anyone familiar with this? For the record, I'm typically roast impaired, buy the wrong cut, prepare it in the wrong way so I'm a little scared of the Eye of Round. My backup plan is either a pork tenderloin stuffed with proscuitto and roasted pears or a beef tenderloin.

Any comments?

BuffyKim

Gracie
02-11-2003, 07:40 AM
Some people don't like Eye of Round since it can dry out quickly. That's because it's the leanest roast and why I like it so much.

It sounds like a matter of personal preference for you. The pork and beef tenderloins will have more fat, but they are obviously prepared very differently and so will have completely different flavors from each other.

IMO, if a recipe specifically calls for Eye of Round, then the recipe will take the leanness into consideration to compensate for the possible dryness from the roast being so lean.

I'm not sure if that helped any! :D

Loren

cab321
02-11-2003, 07:41 AM
I think I know what it is. It is a cut from the back leg - same general place as top round. And, I believe, the eye round is actually roundish. Your best bet would be to shop somewhere with a butcher counter. Three of my local grocery stores all have butchers knowledgable enough to point out different cuts. One of them also trains their butchers to recommend cooking methods. Good luck with your roast and your dinner!

Carrie

buffygirl
02-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. The recipe calls for scoring the meat first then preparing the marinade of bourbon, A-1, worsteshire and some other things. Normally I'm not big on prepared sauces, but the combo they presented sounds pretty good.

My DH is pulling for the pork b/c it is his favorite, but I have a really nice bottle of cabernet I'd like to open and I think it would work better with the beef.:)

BK

Little Bit
02-11-2003, 01:36 PM
I cook Eye of Round roasts all the time, usually season them pretty plainly, though when I was a kid my dad would stud them with garlic to keep the vampires away. That's yummy too, but plain is nice as well.

I try to cook them no more than medium rare, because they aren't as tasty when cooked longer, IMHO.