PDA

View Full Version : Atkins diet and breakfast

tbb113
02-21-2003, 04:54 PM
Okay...I know that alot of you think Atkins is unhealthy so we don't need to get into that debate. I'm thinking of starting this diet and seeing what happens. I know that when I was in college/early twenties I ate WAY less carbs then I do now and weighed 40 to 60 pounds lighter, so I'm going to give it a try.

My question is other than eggs .... what can you eat for breakfast. I work full time and usually eat something at my desk, so I would love it to be portable. The thought of hardboiled eggs 5 days a week is enough to discourage me before I even START :(

Any ideas?

scout1222
02-21-2003, 04:57 PM
This site looks like it's got some decent ideas:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/breakfast.html

d_ferrero
02-21-2003, 05:02 PM
I'm probably not the best person to make recommendations since I'm not sure where the "low carb" line is (I think I know what's high-carb). What about plain (ie: unsweetened) yogurt with fruit? (fruits are "good" carbs, right?) Cottage cheese? peanut butter & banana/apple?

I've also got an "all about atkins" book from a year or so ago you're welcome to borrow. John was going to try that approach until it occured to him that would be the end of sushi.

tbb113
02-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Dolores:

Thanks for the offer on the book. If you are going to be around this weekend, maybe I can swing by for it.

The real problem is the first 2 weeks when most dairy other than hard cheeses and fruit are not allowed. Somehow string cheese for breakfast just doesn't seem to get me terribly excited!

Tyra

wallycat
02-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Some of the foods that were mentioned are good...but even though fruit is very good for you, it is not low-carb :(

Cottage cheese,
peanut butter
WASA crackers or Ryvitta crackers are lower in carbs as are the La
tortilla ..err...tortillas. (Obviously not authentic tortillas as they include oat bran and soy flour :eek: ) but they're the ones with 9 grams of fiber and 12 grams of carbs
Not sure if you prefer sweet or savory breakfasts (I could devour savory stuff at breakfast).
Soy sausages

tbb113
02-21-2003, 05:19 PM
My current breakfasts are usually either a yogurt and a piece of fruit, instant oatmeal, or if I've baked some "healthy" breads or muffins. On the weekends I normally would have cereal and yogurt I don't think I've ever had a "savory" breakfast in my life.

I think after the first two weeks, I'll be okay. I like cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. Its just the first two weeks that really have me stumped for ideas (other than eggs, eggs and oh yes, more eggs!)

wallycat
02-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Although I'm not doing Atkins, I do love a savory breakfast so I've had everything....left-overs from dinner, tuna salad, baked beans, cold cheese pizza...

try a few new things and you might be surprised to find you like it.

I've got a few books on low-carbs and I"ll skim through them. If I find anything besides cottage cheese and eggs, I'll post back.

sneezles
02-22-2003, 07:51 AM
There are recipe at www.atkinscenter.com and they are listed showing which recipes are appropriate for which level and this site is great for recipes, too...

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-breads.html

And this site was shared the other day:

http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/LowCarbohydrateCooking-Recipes.htm#Fish%20Main

I use a lot of the Atkins products (bake mix being very useful). Also when I'm rushed I find one of the Atkin's shakes with ground flaxseed (1/8cup) is very filling and tasty.

sneezles
02-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by tbb113
The real problem is the first 2 weeks when most dairy other than hard cheeses and fruit are not allowed.

You might want to read the list of foods on this page:

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

nancymaring
02-23-2003, 12:14 PM
tbb113.....just wanted to mention, before you start this diet, that it's not the carbs that make us overweight.
americans always want the fast and easy solution to the problem. we want to say, "if i just stop eating this, i will be thin".
well, the fact is....americans eat to much and they exercise to little. it isn't the carbs, the fat, the sugar, etc. etc.
i think cooking light magazine did a good job of addressing this issue, in a gentle way, in this months magazine.

i am a vegetarian. all i eat is carbs. all plant foods, and plant based foods are carbohydrates. vegetarians tend to be healthier and slimmer then the average american. also, a large portion of the world is vegetarian, or semi-vegetarian. eating little or no meat.

i was already eating a low fat diet, with little or no red meat...when i decided to "go all the way" and stop eating all meat. i immediately lost FORTY POUNDS. and have been able to keep it off with little trouble.
oh, i do have those times, the month of december is hard...all those chocolates...need i say more. ;-)
so, i guess i could write a book on the wonders of a no meat diet.

we live in a world of giant-size this, and super-size that. we don't even know what a normal portion size is anymore. look at how they feed you at restaurants. heavens! one lady on this board mentioned they came back from a dinner out, and her husbands "doggie-bag" of pasta dinner weighted over THREE POUNDS. good gosh! a serving of pasta is ONE CUP!
even vegetables are grown to super-size now a-days. a 100 calorie potato are the little ones, not the huge baking potatoes they sell now. those can top 600 calories BEFORE you add the butter. apples are bigger, etc, etc.
think back to how veggies looked 30 or 40 years ago...

so, before you start this, rethink HOW MUCH you are eating. you can eat anything you want. everything in moderation.

have a splendid day....nancy

sneezles
02-23-2003, 08:38 PM
For those of us who are not and/or don't care to become vegans the Atkins diet offers the tools to lose weight and control blood sugars. And let me say right here and now that I'm not going to defend or argue the points + or-'s of this diet. If you don't agree with this diet then just move on to another thread because I don't
believe that Tyra is hoping to be swayed one way or the other just simply asking for pointers...:cool:

tbb113
02-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Nancy: you make some valid points. I know that it is a combination of increased portions/food choices. All I was saying was that for me personally I know that I have changed how/what/and amounts of food since I was younger and thinner. Activity level has not changed. Once a couch potato, always a couch potato:D

I lost weight on Weight Watchers and put it all back on plus some. Since I am a sweet eater...cutting back on carbs (desserts, candy, etc) sure can't hurt.

Sneezles: Thanks for coming to my defense. That is exactly why I prefaced this with the comment that I know that Atkins is open to debate and I was only looking for breakfast ideas to get me past the first two weeks.

I am planning on trying the ham and cheese frittatas from the Dec 2001 issue for breakfast tomorrow....

Tyra

nancymaring
02-24-2003, 05:18 PM
tyra.....i'm so sorry that i was misunderstood. from your opening letter you said "i'm thinking of starting this diet and seeing what happens" and "eating eggs 5 days a week is enough to descourage me before i even start".
i was under the impression that you hadn't decided if this was right for you or not.

i'm not debating atkins. i'm simply saying that there is no magic food formula to losing weight. just eat less of what you are eating now.
and if that doesn't work, then embrace your full, womanly shape. we don't all have to be a size 6.

i liked myself 40 pounds heavier,and i like myself now....but i do find rock climbing is easier now!

sneezies....i never suggested that anyone change to a vegetarian life style. (and i'm not vegan...to lazy for that). i was using my experience as an example that i ate the exact opposite of what this diet recommands, and lost weight. i could have eliminated chocolate and had the same results.....but that is just crazy-talk!!

i guess i'm a little diet sensitive right now. i have a friend that is dying. she had the operation where they remove part of your stomach and colon. i forget the medical term for it.
she has progressed from chronic diarrhea, to anal fissure that needed surgery (and that didn't work) to needing blood transfusions 3 times a week to being addicted to pain killers to the extent of getting them illegally. all because she wanted to be slim.
i wish i had my big, beautiful friend back...the one that could walk miles, laughed, joked, could take care of her son.....

so please accept my apology if i offended anyone.

nancy