PDA

View Full Version : ISO: goat cheese recipe

kimmurphy94
02-24-2003, 11:39 AM
I recently was at a restaraunt where they served roasted beets and warm goat cheese rounds on top of greens - it was so good; I have to try to make it at home.

I think I can tackle the beets/greens part of it, but does anyone have a recipe for the goat cheese rounds. They looked like they were coated in some kind of breading and lightly fried.

I've searched under some only goat cheese threads, but couldn't find it.

Thanks!

lorilei
02-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Kim - I think I can help.
This recipe comes from Gourmet magazine, and I think it fits the bill. The tarragon would go nicely with a salad, as would a number of other varied herbs.

For herbed goat cheese:

3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces Montrachet or other soft goat cheese, cut into eight 1/2-inch rounds and chilled, covered

In a bowl stir together bread crumbs, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Cut each cheese round in half crosswise. Coat each piece of cheese evenly with crumb mixture, pressing gently, and transfer to a baking sheet. Goat cheese may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered loosely. Let cheese come to toom temperature before proceeding.

Preheat broiler.

Broil goat cheese about 2 inches from heat until crumbs are lightly browned, about 2 minutes.

Jeanne G
02-24-2003, 11:47 AM
I've got an awesome one, it comes from a restaurant in Cinti but I don't have it on me at work. You marinate it in olive oil with thyme etc. and then coat it with the crumbs & herbs, etc. and bake it. You use the olive oil for the dressing. I can post it tonight if you want, let me know. I even did a quick search b/c I would swear that I posted it before, but I couldn't find it.
Jeanne

Kayla
02-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Hi Kim,

My mom and I are goat cheese-on-salad fiends! We often do that instead of dressing. Though I don't have a particular recipe, what I liked to do was mix a bit of bread crumbs and my favorite spices (like tarragon, basil, dill, or chives). I'd then add just a bit of water or olive oil to hold the mix together. I'd brush the cheese rounds with a little egg white and then dredge in the mixture. At that point, they can be either pan fried or baked. I usually just baked them on a bit of alluminum foil until they were really warm, and then serve them on top of the salad.

Good luck :)

Kayla

kimmurphy94
02-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Thanks everyone!

Jeanne, I'd love to see your's as well, when you have time to post!

I can't wait to try this!